Author Topic: How bad is Miami again without Shaq?  (Read 1596 times)

Guest_Randy

How bad is Miami again without Shaq?
« on: May 15, 2005, 09:50:51 AM »
For all those who have been saying that Miami isn't going anywhere without Shaq -- umm, they managed to take this series without the Big Aristotle (or whatever his new name is this week).  

I'm not saying that the Heat can win everything without him -- but there were some who wanted to say that Miami couldn't win anything without Shaq -- that Shaq put Miami on the map.  The last two games show that hypothesis just can't be supported.  

In fact, at this point, it might be worthy saying that Wade is more important to Miami's success than Shaq is.  Can Miami win without Shaq, yes!  Can Miami win without Wade?  Hmmm . . .

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 10:36:08 AM »
For all those who have been saying that Miami isn't going anywhere without Shaq -- umm, they managed to take this series without the Big Aristotle (or whatever his new name is this week). 

I'm not saying that the Heat can win everything without him -- but there were some who wanted to say that Miami couldn't win anything without Shaq -- that Shaq put Miami on the map.  The last two games show that hypothesis just can't be supported. 

In fact, at this point, it might be worthy saying that Wade is more important to Miami's success than Shaq is.  Can Miami win without Shaq, yes!  Can Miami win without Wade?  Hmmm . . .
People seem to forget just last year when the Heat went to the playoffs but lost to a much more stacked Indy team in the 2nd round.  A young rookie by the name of Dwayne Wade literally strapped this team on his back and they went the distance in the 2nd round.  They went to 6 games and I believe game 6 went into overtime (although I may be mistaken).  Wade has improved quite a bit and was able to take the Heat past the 2nd round with Shaq barely playing.

The Heat are very far from a bottom dweller.  They are actually a decent team without Shaq.  Certainly they wouldnt get to the finals without Shaq because they dont have the right personel to match up with Indy and Detroit (much like last year).

No one will agree with me but Shaq actually benefits quite a bit from Wade.  He has someone who can support the weight of the team on his shoulders when he goes out and as much room as Shaq gives everyone, Wade gives Shaq room.  The big men dont want Shaq to get the ball just like they dont want Wade driving into the lane.  If Wade wasnt dominating players on the perimeter teams could really mainly focus in on Shaq.  No one else on this Heat team is able to do what Wade can...so no Wade, not the same level of success.  Kinda sounds familiar doesnt it?  Shaq's ego sees it as these guys are only good because of me but doesnt see that he benefits from a great outside player.  He would never admit he needs Wade.  Us Laker fans remember what it was like to see Shaq play without a Penny, Kobe, or Dwayne.  He didn't have the same amount of success even though he was quicker and younger then.  Even demanding 75% of the attention of the whole team is better than being the entire focus of the other teams defense.  Teams do have to think of a way to slow down Wade...hes not the kind of player you just let do whatever he wants.  Although in the end it seems he does it anyways.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 10:45:08 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 02:53:48 PM »
i have said for some time now the Heat are THE team to beat.  while the media was switching from phoenix, to sa, to detroit and such i said miami looked like THE team.  that's not an easy thing for me to say, I want my spurs to win it all, but looking at the squad miami has, they have very few weaknesses, save for some which can be exploited in a series, they still have what it takes to win the finals.  Shaq has NOT made the impact we all thought he would make, and Wade has been THE man for the heat this season.  the media just focuses on shaq, without wade, the truth is they would not have a chance in the finals - even with shaq.  Wade is going to be BIG in this league.  while people were looking for the next magic - along comes king james.  but when people were looking for a plyer to take over like mike - well i know he is far from it - but i see Wade being the biggest thing in the NBA in a few years.  watching this kid grow into that is going to be fun no matter what team you root for.  he has got the goods to be the real deal.  SA vs Miami - 7 games, if Pop can see the exploits that I see, we can beat them, if not, it's Miami's title to lose.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 09:38:09 AM »
Heat record
Without Shaq: 3-6 (.333)
With Shaq: 56-17 (.767)

I'd say he's mildly important.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 10:02:19 AM »
Miami beat the Dizards twice without Shaq.  The second was a down to the wire sqeaker won in the last 30 seconds.  Props to DWade, he was indeed the driving force.  He's not gonna take down the Pistons without Shaq.

Just make sure you don't run the Lakers record of Shaq w/out Kobe compared to Kobadiah w/out Shaq.  Career, not just last season.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 10:02:41 AM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 10:07:11 AM »
Heat record
Without Shaq: 3-6 (.333)
With Shaq: 56-17 (.767)

I'd say he's mildly important.
I dont think that Miami is a .333 team without Shaq.  They did make the playoffs last year without him and did make it to the second round.  Only problem was they had a rookie leading the team and Indy had twice as many quality players.

We shall see how good they are without him because hes not expected to play in game 1 of the next series either.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 12:13:23 PM »
nevermind, they were 6-3 without him in the regular season.  my bad :)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 12:19:59 PM »
Wade is carrying the Heat, no doubt.  No way he takes them past 3 Shraqless.  Altho 'Zo is doing very well.

I know this is gonna get a bunch of boo hahs, so in advance I'm merely going by looks and movements....

Does Wade look like he is doing 'Roids?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 12:36:34 PM »
Wade is carrying the Heat, no doubt.  No way he takes them past 3 Shraqless.  Altho 'Zo is doing very well.

I know this is gonna get a bunch of boo hahs, so in advance I'm merely going by looks and movements....

Does Wade look like he is doing 'Roids?
Wade isnt much bigger than he was the previous year.  Plus you have to think he went from a college workout to a pro basketball workout with a trainer.  Add age into the equation and you get a bigger Wade.

Heat doesnt get past Detroit/Indy without Shaq but they are far from horrible without him.  If Philly and Iverson can go the distance I think it would be possible for Wade and the Heat to get far if there was no Shaq in the equation.  Only problem is Indy and Detroit are stacked in comparision.