Author Topic: Terrell Owens gets new agent  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Terrell Owens gets new agent
« on: April 12, 2005, 11:10:09 AM »
Hmmn.  T.O. had the same agent his entire career.  Not sure what he's up to, but i guess when you play 6 weeks after breaking your leg it's your choice.

In part:

Owens said he remains close with former agent David Joseph, who represented him his entire career, and who helped extricate him from the 49ers. Joseph negotiated the current contract with the Eagles.

"The contract included a $10.3 million signing bonus. Over the first three years of the deal, it makes Owens one of the highest paid wide receivers in league history. Owens is scheduled to earn a base salary of $3.25 million for 2005."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=2035146

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 12:32:49 PM »
With the way Owens contract was structured it was essentially a 2 year deal.  He's basically looking to begin renegotiations now because if he knows he doesn't get it done by the end of the year he's essentially a free agent (the cap figure on the contract will rise so much the eagles will cut him).

Not as big of a deal as the media has made it.  They're essentially just looking to get the ball rolling early.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 12:37:36 PM »
Here are the cap hits for his contract.

2005 $3.25M
2006 $0.77M ($5M bonus)
2007 $5.5M
2008 $6.5M
2009 $7.5M
2010 $8.5M

So it's likely he would be cut after this year, when he's due a 5M bonus.  He sees this.  it's no surprise he wants to re-work the contract.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 12:59:21 PM »
The NFL giving the clubs the option to cut does indeed often make extra years in a contract meaningless.

So what's with the McNabb was sick or not issue?
I took T.O. comments as just a good natured jab.
However back right after the Bowl, since McNabb denied it, why would Freddy Mitchel say it?

Was McNabb just taking the high road, his really being sick in the 4th qtr yet post game not wanting to rain on the Pats victory parade  :huh:  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 01:03:34 PM »
Good natured jab from owens.

Freddie says it because he knows it's about to be cut.  He's been on the outs with Donovan, Reid and the whole team all year.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 02:52:00 PM »
Is this a case of the media just refusing to let the T.O.-McNabb Super Bowl sick story die?  

"I played every snap they allowed me to play," Owens told ESPN.com. "I wasn't even running until, like, two weeks before the game. But I made sure I was in the best shape possible. I wasn't the guy who got tired in the Super Bowl."

McNabb, who made a recruiting pitch to get Owens to Philadelphia before last year, clearly isn't happy with any of the comments.  (R here.   Clearly isn't happy with TO or clearly isn't happy with you the media hounding him about it.)

"I wasn't tired," McNabb said. "For whatever has been said, I don't play games in the media. If someone has a problem with me, they can call me or they know how to get in touch with me. That's the way to handle the situation.

"Don't try to throw names or guys under the bus to better yourself. You never heard me say any names in any situation, You never heard me talk about any given players. I'm the guy to be professional and be a man about things."
(Reality here, I take this as it could be McNabb telling the media "Don't you the media try to throw names......")

McNabb said he hasn't spoken to Owens since the comments were made almost three weeks ago.

>the article went on to confirm what you wrote about Freddy Mitchell:

....Reid said he excused Mitchell from the camp.
"I told him I didn't want him here," Reid said of the former first-round pick who has talked himself out of town by constantly griping about his role in the offense.

rickortreat

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 12:00:49 PM »
The thing is, Owens signed that contract with the Eagles, and now he's trying to weasel out of it.

The Eagles aren't going to redo Owens deal,  he and Rosenhaus should know their MO by now.  They run their team with carefull management of the salary cap, and they're not going to mess that up just to make a player happy.  They cut Jerimiah Trotter after he demanded big money.  They let Hugh Douglas go for the same reason.  They let Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent walk.  Trotter and Douglas came back just to have a chance to win.  Now we'll see if TO really wants to win, or just is a dumb-ass greed head who wants more money.

TO is being stupid and greedy.  He got a great contract with a huge salary this past season, it's common for contracts to be loaded on the front end.  

If he sits out this mini camp watch to see if the Eagles take back 20% of his signing bonus from last year and tell him to take a hike.  He's always been a me-first player, and he was certainly good for the team, but this is too much.  He doens't know when to shut up, and if he can't take care of his family with the money the Eagles gave him last year, that's too bad.

The Eagles will still be a good team without him, and they'll find an adequate wide-out.  They've already pretty much decided to let fat-mouth Freddie take a hike too.  Reid doesn't care.  He has a plan, and he's sticking to it.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 10:22:49 AM »
The thing is, Owens signed that contract with the Eagles, and now he's trying to weasel out of it.

The Eagles aren't going to redo Owens deal,  he and Rosenhaus should know their MO by now.
as you stated....

PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Eagles will not renegotiate the contract of star wide receiver Terrell Owens, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported Wednesday.

Owens fired longtime agent David Joseph in April, hired Drew Rosenhaus and started asking for a renegotiation just one year into a seven-year deal worth almost $49 million.

The Eagles have intimated they wouldn't redo the contract, and owner Lurie told the newspaper, "It's not even an issue."
"It's a non-issue," Lurie said. "There are a lot of things I spend time thinking about, but that's not one of them."
Lurie criticized Owens' new agent for giving him "self-destructive advice."

Where will Terrell Owens start the regular season?
Philadelphia?
At home?
With another NFL team?

The flamboyant Owens helped the Eagles reach the Super Bowl in his first season in Philadelphia after eight years with San Francisco.

Owens, reached at his offseason home in Atlanta, declined to comment.

Rosenhaus also declined to respond. "My policies are not to comment, so I have no comment," Rosenhaus said.

Owens skipped the Eagles' mandatory minicamp April 29, in a holdout that could extend into training camp, which starts in late July.

"I know I'm a top player in the game, and my current contract doesn't justify that," Owens had said after hiring Rosenhaus.

"Every player is both fragile and talented," said Lurie, who was traveling Wednesday with NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue to a conference of chief executive officers in Beijing.

"Unfortunately, we're seeing around the league certain agents who take advantage of the fragility of the players, and are less worried about their continued success and stability than acting self destructively. It's too bad," he said.

Asked if he expects Owens to be with the Eagles next season, Lurie said, "If he wants to win a Super Bowl, he should be."

"At this level, with multimillions [of dollars], you're just trying to leave a legacy and win Super Bowls, as far as I am concerned. And he's got a great opportunity," Lurie said.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 11:25:12 AM »
Take a look at the # of rosenhaus clients around the league holding out.  It's astounding.