Author Topic: Okay, now that we know who the seeds are....  (Read 2218 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Okay, now that we know who the seeds are....
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 11:13:45 PM »
PLEASE will EVERYONE stop talking about Andre's athleticism!!!  Athelicism is HIGHLY overrated in the NBA!  How many quote/unquote "high flyer dunk participants" have faded out of view because they have NOTHING else in their game.  I've grown to like this guy because of his DEFENSE!!!  THAT'S the reason the guy should be considered for ROY -- not because of his stupid athleticism!  Athleticism is the reason you make SportsCenter -- not the reason your team wins a game!  I get soooo tired of watching the NBA choose lottery picks based on athleticism rather than defense and the fundamentals of the game.  It's everything that is wrong with the NBA today.  I like guys that play hard-nosed defense and relish shutting down their opponent.  I look forward to seeing if Andre can continue to grow in this area.
I can count on one hand how many times I've seen Andre play.   He's on Sportscenter for the same reason I focus in and brought up his athletic ability....ive seen small pieces here and there.  Much like ESPN only shows the highlight plays cuz it catches the attention of viewers.  I dont get to watch him for several games in a row, I dont get to sit and really watch him defend, and I dont get to watch how basketball smart he is.  He's an exciting player.  Sure athletic ability is overrated by the media but I think we know better.  If Shawn Bradley was athletic he'd be a very good center instead of barely average.   Could you imagine if Chris Webber had the same speed and mobility James Worthy had on top of what he does now?  It plays a part in what kind of player they will be...its just not the one and only thing that makes or breaks a player.

Comparing him to MJ and Dr. J is crazy tho Rick....even mentioning him in the same breathe.  No knock but until we all get to see him in a few more years hes JR Rider-Harold Minor status.  Dont get me wrong, I like the guy but he has alot to prove before he deserves some of this talk.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 11:17:41 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2005, 11:02:17 AM »
Sounds good to me.  So with Dabods permission, I'll start the threads.

Could we commence?
Some of us have a busy Friday.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2005, 11:22:30 AM »
Whoever's up for starting it, go for it.

rickortreat

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2005, 12:25:34 PM »
Wait a minute, all I did is say he looks to be a player in that mold, not that he was one now.

(Your reading comprehension skills need work)

However, you probably didn't see the last game, where Andre had the opportunity to lead a fast break.  He drove down the center of the lane, ala Magic Johnson, brought the ball around his body twice, before dishing off to (I think Kyle Korver) for the layup.

The thing is, all those other players came into the league with a lot of noise surrouding them, and they were all offensive players.  They were scorers that developed into consumate team players, and they all had the ability to take over a game by themselves.

Andre is a team player first and foremost, most players don't ever develop that kind of selfless team play and this kid is a natural.  I haven't seen him take over a game by himself yet, but that's really hard to do, when you're running with Allen Iverson, who does take over games on occaisssion.

Just watch him in the playoffs, and see how he plays defence, creates turnovers and gets out on the break.  IF he starts gettting breakaway dunks, Detroit will be in trouble.  The reason they win is they play slow ball, outrebound their opponenets and control the game, I expect they will have trouble controlling the temp against the Sixers.