Author Topic: 7'8" China center Sun Ming  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
7'8" China center Sun Ming
« on: April 22, 2005, 09:43:52 AM »
He may not be the next Nazr Mohammed nor have caught the attention of the brilliant L.A. Lakers personell boys, but he's working out now in Greensboro in prep for the draft.

Great 'tall' of China: 7-foot-8 Sun eyes NBA FOXSports.com

NBA scouts are already drooling over the next giant import from China.

The Greensboro News & Record reports that Sun is working out in Greensboro for a shot at the NBA.

"With his size, that intrigues everybody," former NBA player Keith Gatlin told the News & Record after working out with Sun. "He can really shoot the ball to be that size. The challenge for him now is to get mobile, to get up and down the court."

The lure of the NBA is certainly exciting to the raw big man.

"I have more opportunities here," Sun told the News & Record through interpreter Hsiao-Yin Chu. "I have the opportunity to play with the best players in the world and get into good basketball."

Sun Ming Ming is roughly two inches taller than former No. 1 pick Yao Ming of the Houston Rockets. (News & Record / Joseph Rodriguez / Associated Press)

If Sun is picked in the June NBA draft, his agent Charles Bonsignore hopes he'll go to a team willing to develop Sun's skills and not immediately expect him to be the next Yao Ming. Trainer James Wilson has worked with Sun on his mobility for about five weeks and said Sun is young in terms of his training years.

"I treat him like he is a high school senior lifting weights," Wilson told the News & Record. "You build from that. ... There's a progression that you need to go."

And Sun has gotten comfortable in his new surroundings since arriving in North Carolina and staying with host family Rocky and Celeste Manning, friends of Gatlin's.

"He's been great," Rocky Manning told the News & Record. "He totally changed from when he first came here. He didn't seem that happy, but now he smiles and laughs and knows a couple hundred words in English. He's a very smart guy."

Sun will stay in the United States until May when he'll return to China to play in the national games with his club team. He is expected to return in June for the draft.

China has produced three tall players who are playing or have played in the NBA. There's 7-6 Ming, 7-1 Wang Zhizhi and 6-11 Mengke Bateer.

And there are more giants headed west, according to website of the Chinese national team.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3549284?GT1=6419
« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 09:44:42 AM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 09:47:03 AM »
Maybe the NBA should work on the super tall Chinese center they just got a few years ago???  He was SILENT this year.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 09:50:17 AM »
I read this article yesterday and stopped reading at this line:

"If Sun is picked in the June NBA draft, his agent Charles Bonsignore hopes he'll go to a team willing to develop Sun's skills and not immediately expect him to be the next Yao Ming. "

In other words, big stiff.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 09:55:05 AM »

"If Sun is picked in the June NBA draft, his agent Charles Bonsignore hopes he'll go to a team willing to develop Sun's skills and not immediately expect him to be the next Yao Ming. "

LMAO!  the next Mengke Bateer....slow roasted and glazed in honey over an open fire...nothing like slow roasted Mengke Bateer....now served with Sun Ming Rangoons...yummy!

:rofl:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 10:02:45 AM »

You mean Agentspeak for;

"I sure hope i can still get a big commission off this since he is 7'8""

Who knows.