Author Topic: OMG, this is one of the most HILARIOUS things  (Read 655 times)

Guest_Randy

OMG, this is one of the most HILARIOUS things
« on: April 22, 2005, 02:56:58 PM »
Philly @ Detroit: Philly Larry Brown can't outcoach Jim O'Brien. Remember that Boston Series?

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Larry Brown can't outcoach Jim O'Brien?   :rofl:  :rofl:   I'm trying to think of someone that CAN'T outcoach Jim O'Brien!!!

rickorteat

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 04:11:46 PM »
The year after the Sixers went to the finals, their first round opponent was Boston.  It was over in 5 with a blowout by Boston 120-87.  

The coach for the Celtics was Jim O'Brien.  This was one of the worst losses in Sixers history.  Brown was clearly outcoached, his explanation: Iverson not attending practice.
This was when the infamous Iverson quote on practice occurred.  

I've seen both coaches, and I don't particularly like either one.  Brown is generally better at preparing his team to play defense. And O'Brien is a better offensive coach. Both of them have idiosyncrasies, that I can't stand.  Brown doesn't play rookies he treats them like college freshmen.  O'Brien likes gimmiky college defenses ill-suited to the NBA.

Who are good coaches?  I really like Rick Carlisle, Scott Skyles, Adelman and Mike D'Antoni.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 08:24:57 PM »
Umm, a team like Detroit who has little offensive firepower has actually won a championship under Brown.  All O'Brien has won is resentment and criticism!  The Sixers 2002 squad was junk -- tremendous changes (for the worse) than the team that went to the Finals with Brown and AI.  

Anyone that thinks that O'Brien is a better coach than Brown needs their head examined.  Most people, including a ton of people from Philly, don't think O'Brien is a good coach at all -- and now you want to make him better than Brown?  You may not like Brown as a coach but he's better than O'Brien even if O'Brien's Celts did beat the Sixers in a series.

And, I find it amusing that people excuse AI's pathetic "it's only practice" excuses.  Umm, isn't basketball about TEAMWORK?  How does teamwork happen?  By showing up for games or by showing up for practice?  Teamwork doesn't just "happen" and you don't play like a team unless everyone works together and practices together.  Not to mention, basically telling your teammates "I don't need to practice -- but you do" isn't a way to lead your team, is it?  

AI has done a lot better this year -- but he would do well to admit that his attitude about practice is wrong.  Why were the Bulls so dominating?  Well, there were many factors but one of them WAS practice.  MJ practiced hard -- and they practiced so that when they stepped out on the court the knew each other and trusted each other.  That doesn't happen by just showing up for games.  You need to know when to move with and without the ball -- get a feel for what a person does, where he likes the ball at, his moves, how he likes his picks, etc.  AI has the same problem as Shaq -- his ego can't admit when he is wrong.

rickortreat

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 10:21:19 PM »
AI has done a lot better this year -- but he would do well to admit that his attitude about practice is wrong. Why were the Bulls so dominating? Well, there were many factors but one of them WAS practice. MJ practiced hard -- and they practiced so that when they stepped out on the court the knew each other and trusted each other. That doesn't happen by just showing up for games. You need to know when to move with and without the ball -- get a feel for what a person does, where he likes the ball at, his moves, how he likes his picks, etc. AI has the same problem as Shaq -- his ego can't admit when he is wrong.

So true, but the same could be said of both Brown and O'Brien.  Both are pedantic and have great flaws.  I've criticised both and I watch the basketball team that they've coached.  I've seen the good things they do and the bad, with a much better eyeview than the people who don't live here and get the chance to watch the team and the changes they go through.

The team that lost to the Celtics was essentially the same one that lost in the finals to the Lakers.  George Lynch was gone, but he wouldn't have made a difference in that series.  

I still remember that game, and I was very unhappy with the way the Sixers played.  I never saw them lay down and just give up like on that day.  That was with Brown as the coach.  It was one of the worst days in the history of the team.  All Brown could do afterwards is cry about AI missing practice.  It was complete, utter  :bs:

Yes, AI was wrong, but Brown called him out in public.  He never tried to discipline AI.  He never benched him, fined him or anything else. But he did embarass him in public and deflect criticism of himself and his teams poor performance.  Brown DID get us to the finals, and for that I'm grateful, but he also bailed out on the team and gave up, which has been his MO for his entire career.  And worst insult of all he left Philly for the team that just had beaten the Sixers in the playoffs.  So you can be impressed with Brown if you want, but I saw how he does things.  

Maybe O'Brien isn't the better coach, but on that day, he absolutly was, and had a plan to defeat Brown.  IMO, he can do it again.  

And what difference does it make for Alan to say he was wrong? Anyone with a brain knows that, but they should also know that practice or the lack thereof had anything to do with the loss to the Celtics.  IMO, O'Brien was hired, because Billy King saw that game and was impressed with the way the Celtics were prepared to beat the Sixers.