Author Topic: Young baseball star in the making  (Read 1849 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Young baseball star in the making
« on: April 19, 2005, 02:39:03 PM »
There is a young outfielder for Oregon State University that will be eligible for the baseball draft this year, who has a real chance at future stardom.  His name is Jacoby Ellsbury.
He is from my home town (population 5000), is 1/2 Navajo Indian, Freshman All American, Academic all Pac-10.  My brother was his coach from age 9 to 16, and when he was 15 they finished second in Senior League Western Regionals to Hawaii.

http://osubeavers.collegesports.com/sports...ativeStats.html

http://osubeavers.collegesports.com/sports...y_jacoby00.html

He is hitting .454 this year with a slugging % of .674, and an on base % of .547, which is an unbelievable OPS of 1.221.  In 143 AB he has walked 23 times with  only 8 strikeouts, 17 SB is 23 attempts.  Leads OSU in HR batting lead off.  The Angels were prepared to draft him in the 7 round out of HS but he wanted to go to school, and he ended up getting drafted by the DRays in the 23rd round.  Looks like right now he will be draft in the first 2/3 rounds, some talk about round 1.

Remember the name, Jacoby Ellsbury.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 11:44:08 PM »
"also named Pac-10's fastest runner, best defensive outfielder by BA"

Wow I'm surprised the talk is 2 or 3 Round.  Seems like a slam 1st R.

What is the Cape Cod league?

"April 24, caught foul ball at Los Angeles Dodgers vs. San Francisco Giants game while Beavers were in Los Angeles to play Southern California"... :rofl:  okay now that's enough reporting by the Beaver site.  

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 01:23:50 PM »
"also named Pac-10's fastest runner, best defensive outfielder by BA"

Wow I'm surprised the talk is 2 or 3 Round.  Seems like a slam 1st R.

What is the Cape Cod league?

"April 24, caught foul ball at Los Angeles Dodgers vs. San Francisco Giants game while Beavers were in Los Angeles to play Southern California"... :rofl:  okay now that's enough reporting by the Beaver site.
Cape Cod League is the premier summer college baseball league.  Not sure of exactly how many teams, but I think it is 8, and most of the best college baseball players play there during the summer.

I was also talking to one of HS school coaches, and right now the word is first or early second, perhaps a first round sandwich pick.  The Angels, DRays, Phillies, Mariners, and the A's seem to be the most interested.  The scouts believe he can bulk up to 210-215 range, and when he does his power number will rise.  They timed him home to first, as well as the 40 and 60 yard dash, and his speed was comparable to Ichiro.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 01:27:19 PM by ziggy »
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 01:32:11 PM »
Another name for you to watch if you live in So Cal.  Marshall Looney was drafted in the 6th round by the Dodgers out of HS, and he is from LaPine, Oregon (my wifes hometown).  Same age as Jacoby and has been in the Dodger organization for 3 years, but he missed his second becuase of injuries.  Big kid (6-6), and he is a hard thrower.  Had a much better year last year, in the lower minors.  He is probably another 2 years away form the big leagues.

AA Mil