Author Topic: Must win for Philly tonight.  (Read 927 times)

rickortreat

Must win for Philly tonight.
« on: April 08, 2005, 05:18:19 PM »
Philly can move into the 7th spot in the E.C. playoffs with a victory over Cleveland tonight.  They'd be tied in records, but Philly would have the better record in the head to head tie-breaker.

It's big since the 8th seed draws Miami in the first round.  7th seed gets Detroit.

Philly probably won't do anything special this year, but a first-round upset of Detroit isn't out of the question.  Cwebb still needs more time to get into the flow and Dalembert needs more seasoning.

The team needs a new coach who will throtle back Iverson and have Igoudala and Korver take more shots.  

Every time I see Iverson take the ball down the court and hoist up a shot from the outside, (he misses nearly every damn time) I wonder why he isn't pulled from the game.  AI is still trying to do too much by himself, instead of setting up his teamates.  This is bad basketball and there's no need for them to play this way.  This is why O'brien should have been fired already.    :nod:  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 05:47:21 PM »
Big indeed, can boost themselves above Cleve.  But also hope to boost over Washington on Sat night.  2 for 2 and they'll sit in 6th.  Phillys controls its own seeding for sure, playing Nets and Indy next 10 days.  

But Wizards have a definite season ending weak schedule.  Antoin Jamison is back, fully recovered or not.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 07:09:47 PM »
Bill Simmons on list of MVP candidates.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/050408

107. Andre Iguodala
Officially replaced Kirilenko as "The Guy You Don't Want Guarding You Under Any Circumstances." And he's only a rookie. That reminds me, here's another idea for an All-Star Weekend Event: The Miller Lite Kapono-Iguodala Challenge. You have eight contestants, each of whom has to choose ones of two options:
A. In five minutes, score as many baskets as possible against Andre Iguodala.

or ...

B. In 45 seconds, score as many baskets as possible against Jason Kapono.

(Which option would they choose? Who would win? See, this is why I should be running All-Star Weekend.)

So far at the half, LeBron shot 3-13 when Andre was guarding him...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 07:10:14 PM by dbodner »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 08:23:33 PM »
and LeBron (a 48% shooter was held to 12-31 tonight (38.7%) by Iguodala, last time he went 3-20.

That's 15-51 (29.4%) in his last two meetings with mr. iguodala.

1st team all defense.  if there is justice.

rickortreat

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 10:31:18 PM »
Well the Sixers almost blew this one, but hung tough.  Dalembert had 23 pts on 10-15, 3 blocks and 16 boards including 9 o-boards.  AI had 16 assists!

Is he reading this board?  After ripping him for shooting too much, he plays a game like this one!  Still took 30 shots, but if he hands out 16 dimes, that's fine!  8 turnovers is the only thing I could gripe about, and shooting only 9-30.

Sixers are in contol of their own destiny.  They keep winning they make the playoffs and might even rise to the #3 seed if they can catch Boston.

Igoudala would be in the running for ROY if the Sixers had a better record.  It would also have helped if he had gotten more shots.  Tonights windmill slam was outrageous, shades of the Human Highlight Film....

The team has been playing well enought to win without Cwebb.  When he comes back, watch out!  Phila. could be a very dangerous team to meet in the first round.  As long as Iggy, Sam and Kyle keep playing at this level they could cause a lot of teams grief.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 09:04:21 AM »
ROY award or not, Ig was a steal.  What i like is how functional a lot of his jams are.  Come during the game with defense on him, not just breakaways or uncontested.

I goofed when i said 6ers could get to 6th seed tonight.  Still they can get closer (2 games back) to WA for sure and Boston possibly.

Boston at N.J. tonight either way the 6ers "win".  Boston wins and NJ fades further back giving Philly more space.  N.J. wins and they get closer to 3rd seed longshot.    Bottom line 6ers control own fate 100% for at least a lock on 7th seed.