Author Topic: Houston/Yao  (Read 2250 times)

rickortreat

Houston/Yao
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2005, 05:11:34 PM »
Well, I would say that Kobe playing in that game could have made a difference, but players get injured all the time.  The Sixers would have a better record if Iverson could play every game but he doesn't.  Those are the breaks.

The Sixers managed to win without Iverson.  They should have won more of them but didn't play well enough.

The Lakers didn't play well enough without Kobe to beat the Rockets.  Even with him, I think the Rockets are now a better team.  They may not have been at the beggining of the year, but they've learned how to play together.  Even when Kobe comes back, they'll still be a weak team.  Maybe they'll back into the playoffs, but they won't do anything in them except loose.  They'd be better off getting a lottery pick.  

Guest_Randy

Houston/Yao
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2005, 05:25:52 PM »
Well, I would say that Kobe playing in that game could have made a difference, but players get injured all the time.  The Sixers would have a better record if Iverson could play every game but he doesn't.  Those are the breaks.

The Sixers managed to win without Iverson.  They should have won more of them but didn't play well enough.

The Lakers didn't play well enough without Kobe to beat the Rockets.  Even with him, I think the Rockets are now a better team.  They may not have been at the beggining of the year, but they've learned how to play together.  Even when Kobe comes back, they'll still be a weak team.  Maybe they'll back into the playoffs, but they won't do anything in them except loose.  They'd be better off getting a lottery pick.
You know you will have to help me follow your logic -- it's just pretty weak here:

The Lakers didn't play well enough without Kobe to beat the Rockets.  Even with him, I think the Rockets are now a better team.  They may not have been at the beggining of the year, but they've learned how to play together.

The Lakers lost by ONE point, Rick WITHOUT Kobe, -- it's the first time (in three tries) that the Rockets have beaten the Lakers (again, they DIDN'T have Kobe) the Rockets have beaten the Lakers and they BARELY won the game Rick.  Your logic escapes me!

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Houston/Yao
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2005, 05:32:58 PM »
Okay, I was going to let this go until I saw this:

Last but not least Kobe would have defended T-Mac instead of Caron Butler. Kobe is a much better defender and

I don't agree.  I've watched Caron Butler extensively his first two years in the league, although, admittedly, I've not seen him this year.  Caron Butler is a FAR better defender than Kobe Bryant, in my opinion, and I'd be extremely interested in seeing how good Bryant's defense is when there's no shot-blocker behind him.  Butler is a fine defender in the post especially, and that's a place where Bryant has always been lacking.

You want to put someone from the Lakers on McGrady?  Put Caron Butler on him.  That's their best option.  (Devean George, if healthy, would be tolerable, as well.)  Not Bryant.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Guest_Randy

Houston/Yao
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2005, 05:34:56 PM »

Last but not least Kobe would have defended T-Mac instead of Caron Butler. Kobe is a much better defender and

I don't agree.  I've watched Caron Butler extensively his first two years in the league, although, admittedly, I've not seen him this year.  Caron Butler is a FAR better defender than Kobe Bryant, in my opinion, and I'd be extremely interested in seeing how good Bryant's defense is when there's no shot-blocker behind him.  Butler is a fine defender in the post especially, and that's a place where Bryant has always been lacking.

You want to put someone from the Lakers on McGrady?  Put Caron Butler on him.  That's their best option.  (Devean George, if healthy, would be tolerable, as well.)  Not Bryant.
Joe,

You don't like Kobe as a defender -- never have -- but he HAS shown that he is a very good defender and he HAS shut down players before (TMac is one of them).  Kobe won't shut down TMac every game -- but he will do almost as good a job as anyone can.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Houston/Yao
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2005, 06:25:08 PM »

While I agree that Caron is an underrated defender he is not quite on Kobe's level yet.  Very often Kobe steps up his defensive pressure and really gets in a guys face.  Butler does not bring the same intensity.  Also, Caron gets himself into foul trouble guarding the tougher players (Allen, T-Mac, etc) very quickly.  I think as he gets more years under his belt he will continue to improve.  People forget he barely played last season due to injury.

Ive watched Kobe at Staples Center shut down T-mac and drop 24 on him in the 4th to pull the Lakers to victory.  T-Mac had his way with the Lakers in the first half, PJ puts Kobe on T-Mac, and he doesnt go off like he did in the first.  Only reason Caron has been guarding the best players on the opposing team is because Kobe is out.  So far hes done a decent job but his inability to stay out of foul trouble has hurt the Lakers on the other end.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 06:26:12 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com