Author Topic: Lakers tickets  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Lakers tickets
« on: February 01, 2005, 07:12:04 PM »
msc,

don't expect you to know, but about all those empty seats...

In watching the Sonics RadMan hoist all those sweet 3s, one could not help but notice all the courtside empty seats.  A full 1/3rd were empty.  Assuming most if not all of these seats are season ticket holders, why don't they give them up/sell them as opposed to just letting them sit empty?  You hear anything?

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Lakers tickets
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 12:47:41 PM »
IMO, it's due to a couple of factors:

1)  LA has to be the biggest frontrunner, bandwagon fan city in all of sports.  We all know that and can debate the reasons why, but it's true.  Those of us born and raised here know it better than anyone else.  

2)  In regard to specifically the court side seats, they're all season ticket holders, but some of them are held by individuals, while many of them are owned by corps ... studios, agencies, investment banks, etc.  Many of these people go out to one of the "super secret" rooms/clubs at halftime.  I think the one where all the stars go is called Purple and Gold, or something like that.  When it's a real crappy game, I think a lot of people stay at whatever bar they're schmoozing at and watch the start of the 3rd on TV.  If it goes downhill quick, like the Seattle game, they probably take off early.  

I was at that game and it wasn't just the courtside seats leaving.  A lot of wheels are falling off of the bandwagon right now.  It bothers me a little bit, but over the years I've learned to not let it bring me down.  I love going to the games and always will, I can't really worry about everyone else.  I almost like it b/c I know I can upgrade my seats each year.  The first five years I had season tix; I would request an upgrade every year and get denied.  This was the first year I got one ... it's not much, just two rows closer, but next year I think I'll be able to make a good move.  

Even though LA is the biggest bandwagon fan city, there are also a ton of great fans that are knowledgeable and loyal to the team no matter what.  Many of these fans are simply priced out of the market, which is a problem in the entire league, not just LA.  It's unfortunate, but I don't see it changing.  

Guest_Randy

Lakers tickets
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 01:17:56 PM »
Remember how few Lakers fans there were when the Lakers squad's best player was Cedric Ceballos?  When my favorite Laker's player was Sedale Threatt?  

The Lakers have had phenomenal success in rebuilding -- however, one has to wonder how the present salary cap and Mitch (instead of Jerry West) will factor into rebuilding another championship team.  The Lakers don't seem to have the talent scouts (esp. in Europe) that teams like SacTown, Dallas and SA have.  

The Lakers, however, will continue to be the "place" for Hollywood Actors to go -- IF that changes, Buss will sell the team!!!  Buss makes too much money on the Lakers -- unfortunately, he isn't as willing to put all that money back into the team!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Lakers tickets
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 03:57:30 PM »
Many of these fans are simply priced out of the market...
I fall into that category.

I pretty much get two Clip season tix for the price of half a Laker season ticket.  Hard to share one seat with even the most die-hard fan.

Up until Shaq left you couldn't even get Laker season tix even if you could afford it.  My first season as  Clippers season ticket holder I sat next to a father/son who wanted Lakers season tix but were put on a waiting list.  I don't see them at the games anymore so a bunch of seats must have opened up.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Lakers tickets
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 05:11:32 PM »
A friend of mine put her name on the waiting list for Staples before it was built.  I split them with her 50/50 each year.  Then I usually sell 6-10 of my 20 or 21 games.  10-15 games is a good number for me.  Sometimes after work, I'd much rather just go home and watch it on tv and crack a beer that cost me $0.50 instead of $10.50! Especially when Chick was still alive (R.I.P.) ... tv/radio games haven't been the same for any of us Angelinos since ...  

Not only are the tix too expensive, but the amount they're increased each year is outrageous.  My first year (the 1st year Staples opened), the face was $45/ticket.  Now they're $75/ticket.  A 70% increase over 6 years!  At this rate, I'll be priced out of the market by the time I'm 40!