Author Topic: More Hot Rumors  (Read 6547 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
More Hot Rumors
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2005, 02:14:20 PM »
AND HOME-COURT ADVANTAGE, BECAUSE IT'S THE FIRST ROUND

They changed it this year joe.  home court is now based solely on record, even in the first round.  seed's are just done for matchup purposes.
Did they?  I didn't realize that.

My bad.
Joe,

Randy is incorrect.  The top three seeds in the FIRST round are the division winners.  That's why Miami is pretty much assured on not having to face both the Pistons and Pacers.  Because of the seedings those two will most likely meet in round two and Miami will only need to face one of them in the EC Finals.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Guest_Randy

More Hot Rumors
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2005, 03:07:20 PM »
WOW, you are incorrect.

I don't know who made that original post but it wasn't me.  I don't know how they are doing the new and improved playoffs this year -- but hopefully they can find a way to prolong the first round -- it has been far too short in the recent past!

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
More Hot Rumors
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2005, 05:10:48 PM »
Okay - slow down.

I do know that 1 through 3 go to the division winners.

The question is:  if 3 plays 6, and 6 has a better record than 3, who gets the home-court advantage?

In years past, that could only come into play if 7 had a better record than 2 - and that never happened.  In such a case, even though 7 had a better record, 2 got the home court just because of being a division winner.

I don't know how that scenario plays out this year.

In subsequent rounds, however, homecourt advantage has always gone to the team with the better record.  This happened reasonably often with 3 playing 2 in the second round.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
More Hot Rumors
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2005, 05:28:49 PM »
The question is: if 3 plays 6, and 6 has a better record than 3, who gets the home-court advantage?

It's changed this year.  6 will get homecourt in that situation, even with the lower seed.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
More Hot Rumors
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2005, 10:01:54 AM »

They changed it this year joe.  home court is now based solely on record, even in the first round.  seed's are just done for matchup purposes.

My bad.
Joe,

Randy is incorrect.  The top three seeds in the FIRST round are the division winners.  That's why Miami is pretty much assured on not having to face both the Pistons and Pacers.  Because of the seedings those two will most likely meet in round two and Miami will only need to face one of them in the EC Finals.
Actually depending on where the Cavs end up Indy & Detroit could meet in the first round as 4 & 5 seeds.  

But then the seeding could end up as it currently stands and Miami would possibly play both teams:

1. Miami
2. Cleveland
3. Atlantic patsy
4. Washington
5. Detroit
6. Orlando
7. Chicago
8. Indiana

Miami would play Pacers in the first round.  Then Detroit in the second (assuming Detroit & Miami both win in the first round).  I wouldn't rule out the fact that Miami could have to play both Indy & Detroit to advance.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
More Hot Rumors
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2005, 10:10:40 AM »

My bad.
Joe,

Actually depending on where the Cavs end up Indy & Detroit could meet in the first round as 4 & 5 seeds.  

But then the seeding could end up as it currently stands and Miami would possibly play both teams:

1. Miami
2. Cleveland
3. Atlantic patsy
4. Washington
5. Detroit
6. Orlando
7. Chicago
8. Indiana

Miami would play Pacers in the first round.  Then Detroit in the second (assuming Detroit & Miami both win in the first round).  I wouldn't rule out the fact that Miami could have to play both Indy & Detroit to advance.
You're right, I never considered BOTH those teams tanking.  Figured the Pistons/Pacers would end up 1/2 recordwise in the East.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"