Author Topic: Is J Kidd the same  (Read 845 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Is J Kidd the same
« on: January 24, 2005, 01:19:49 PM »
His stats are back but as WOW predicted and I concur he's just not the same knee wise.

I notice kind of a limp, or at least a different running and cutting mode.
Same old JKidd and will be for years or a ticking time bomb injurywise?

guest-koast

Is J Kidd the same
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 10:19:25 AM »
His stats are back but as WOW predicted and I concur he's just not the same knee wise.

I notice kind of a limp, or at least a different running and cutting mode.
Same old JKidd and will be for years or a ticking time bomb injurywise?
Same Kidd but dont expect to see him flying to the rim to catch rebounds or running the break for 40 minutes a game.  I expect him to focus in on his half court game a little more now than hes getting older and def lost some mobility.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Is J Kidd the same
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 11:20:14 AM »
having had a major knee injury myself, I don't think anyone's ever completely the same after a major knee injury, let alone surgery.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Is J Kidd the same
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 12:04:21 PM »
I'd say he's the same Jason Kidd, but just recovering slowly.  Give him a few months, and he'll be back to himself.  However, his teammates aren't as good as his previous crew, so don't expect the numbers to be quite as nice.  The injury will be blamed, but it'll actually be the talent difference.

And a thought on another injury:

Andrei Kirilenko is looking *VERY* gimpy and somewhat lethargic rather than the bouncy Tigger-like Kirilenko prior to injury right now.  Skander was heartbroken when he saw the Jazz game the other night.  "My player I liked is gone," he remarked.  And the crippled version of Kirilenko blocked 2 shots and got 3 steals.  But the difference was INCREDIBLY noticeable - especially on Kirilenko's defensive slide and his ability to go up after the "unlikely" blocks.

I knew exactly what Skander was mourning.  The difference was visible.  Kirilenko wasn't the player he was before the injury - and both of us are scared that he'll lose that recklessness he played with - which was what we loved about the guy.  Granted, I don't expect  him to play with reckless abandon RIGHT NOW, but I hope he doesn't develop bad habits right now, and I'm very scared that he might.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Guest_Randy

Is J Kidd the same
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 12:35:39 PM »
Injuries are part of the game -- and most NBA players are really pushed to jump higher than ever before (thanks SportsCenter and the Slam Dunk Contest) -- the game is much more about athleticism than it is about skill these days.  I'm really concerned about that trend for the future but I digress (again).

Fisher is a classic example of what happens after surgery -- before his foot surgery, this kid was a GREAT hardnosed defender -- but after his surgery (esp. the second surgery) there wasn't a Point Guard in the league who couldn't blow past him.  

Of course, there are, thankfully, success stories -- Grant Hill seems to be one this year (after how many, like myself, wrote him off to never playing again).