Author Topic: Big 4 way trade in the works  (Read 943 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Big 4 way trade in the works
« on: January 15, 2005, 01:02:10 AM »
According to TNT Analyst David Aldridge there has been talk of a four way trade involving Toronto, New York, Miami and Minnesota, four maximum sized contracts exchanging zip codes.

According to the report Minnesota would receive Heat guard Eddie Jones and Toronto forward Donyell Marshall, Miami would receive Wolf Latrell Sprewell, the Knicks would receive disgruntled guard Jalen Rose while the Raptors receive often injured guard Anfernee 'Penny' Hardaway, who has one less year remaining on his contract.

This is a fabulous deal for the TWolves, while Toronto is just giving up for a couple of years, and Miami takes on an old cancer.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Guest_Randy

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 01:28:49 PM »
This REALLY surprises me from Miami's point of view -- I know they have been looking for a third scorer but I would think this team understands the need for chemistry on a team.  Spree may be a better offensive player (and he is still a very good defensive player even though he hasn't shown it lately) but I'm not sure it's worth taking a chance with the way Miami has been playing.  Spree likes the rock in his hand -- and in Miami the rock is split two ways -- Shaq and Wade.  Picking up Marshall is a GOOD move for the Heat -- he could really help them at SF.

Toronto sure seems to be getting rid of a lot in this deal -- are they setting themselves up for free agency?  I'm not sure that players are going to be enticed by the way they've handled themselves over the past 3 or 4 years.

Isaiah actually LIKES Rose.  The Knicks need a SF but Rose is a tweener and he is going to be a BIG disappointment, IMO.  The Knicks already have WAY too many players with bigger contracts than their game (Houston, now Rose, Anderson, etc.).

I REALLY like EJ in Minny -- he is a great defensive player (something they need), he's a GREAT team player (will really help Minny's zone D) and he likes to slash to the basket -- something that Minny needs.  I think he could help offset Wally at SF as well -- help open up Wally's outside game if he moves well without the ball.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 05:03:15 PM »
This REALLY surprises me from Miami's point of view --   Picking up Marshall is a GOOD move for the Heat -- he could really help them at SF.

Actully Randy the way I read it was

Miami gives Eddie Jones and gets Latrell Sprewell
Minny gives Sprewell and get Eddie Jone and Donyell Marshall
Toronto gives Rose and Marshall and gets Penny Hardaway
NY gives Penny and gets Rose

I am sure there are other players included to make teh salaries work.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 05:05:06 PM by ziggy »
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 05:40:46 PM »
According to reports that trade is borderline dead.

The Philadelphia Inquirer (reported by Phil Jasner, in the hall of fame, the 1 philly reporter I respect with rumors) and the toronto star, the sixers and raptors are talking trade for donyell marshall.

Billy King (Sixers GM) also confirmed that talks are ongoing.

Of course, that probably means nothing will happen.  When it's widely reported it usually falls through.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 10:36:36 AM »
Miami's GM, Shaq, would have to have taken up smoking crack to trade Eddie Jones for Latrell "Khemistry Killa" Spreewell.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com