Author Topic: Worst team in the league?  (Read 1201 times)

jn

Worst team in the league?
« on: December 02, 2004, 12:19:47 PM »
Who would get your vote?  I'd have to go with New Orleans because of the massive drop off from being in the playoffs to abject failure.  

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 12:59:59 PM »
Choices are
New Orleans
Charlotte
Chicago
Atlanta
Golden State

Each one can make a compelling case, but I agree with JN, it is NO at this point.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 02:06:21 PM »
No way.  New Orleans has been without Baron Davis throughout much of the season, is without Magloire for a couple months now, and lost Jamal Mashburn for the year.  That's bad luck - not a bad team.

What's Chicago's excuse?  What's Atlanta's?  

My vote goes to the Bulls.  The funny part of it is that right now, Curry and Chandler are coming to the point where Chicago has to decide whether it's fish or cut bait.  They have to sign these guys - probably for more money than they're worth, if past happenings are any indicator - or start over again.  Would you rather have Elton Brand or Tyson Chandler right now?  Chicago chose to trade Brand to gamble on Chandler.  It was stupid at the time, and time has proven just how profoundly stupid it was.

I'm going with the Bulls.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 02:20:04 PM »
New Orleans had the worst luck of anybody in being put into OUR conference, division - they are in ours right?  i just know they are dead last in whicever div they are in..

pretty bad luck IMO... :rofl:  :alcohol:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 02:22:21 PM »
No way.  New Orleans has been without Baron Davis throughout much of the season, is without Magloire for a couple months now, and lost Jamal Mashburn for the year.  That's bad luck - not a bad team.

What's Chicago's excuse?  What's Atlanta's?  

My vote goes to the Bulls.  The funny part of it is that right now, Curry and Chandler are coming to the point where Chicago has to decide whether it's fish or cut bait.  They have to sign these guys - probably for more money than they're worth, if past happenings are any indicator - or start over again.  Would you rather have Elton Brand or Tyson Chandler right now?  Chicago chose to trade Brand to gamble on Chandler.  It was stupid at the time, and time has proven just how profoundly stupid it was.

I'm going with the Bulls.
Joe, in all honesty, even with the full new Orleans sqaud back...they would still be sqaushed in our conference.  however, i would make it a toss up between chicago and new orleans if N O had everybody back and playing...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jn

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 02:42:53 PM »
Joe I did consider the injuries but decided not to factor them in.  

Injuries aside I would say Atlanta is worse than Chicago just because I like both Hinrich and Ben Gordon and cannot stand Antione Walker.  Bill Simmons (The Sports Guy) had it right when he said Walker will set a record this year for most 10 of 28 shooting nights in a season.

P.S.  Just today I saw there were rumblings about the Hawks already giving up on Josh Childress.   What a great environment when the coach uses the phrase "kick him to the curb" 12 games in to the #6 picks rookie season.  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 04:02:19 PM »
I think I want to preface this pick:

1)  Atlanta IS the worst team this year -- Harrington has struggled to be "the" guy (alongside Walker) and no one knows that worse than I do (he is on my fantasy team and he has been horrible).

2)  Chicago HAS to be the worst team year-after-year-after-year -- it doesn't make any difference who their coach is -- or who the new faces on the court will be -- they simply strive to be the bottom of the pile.

This is the ONLY management in the league that makes Sterling seem like he's not a bottom feeder who should be taken out and shot (or tied up in the Palace in Detroit and allow fans to throw chairs at him).  Management just seems to be TRYING to make sure this team stays in the dumps -- from stupid trade after stupid trade -- I still think it's a money issue -- trading Brand because you don't want to pay him for two maybes.  Now Chicago will dump Chandler and Curry because they don't want to pay them (and they WILL make more than they deserve -- although they will be better players outside of Chicago).  

Atlanta is the worst team in the league but I'd go with Chicago just because of the things I mentioned above.

TerryBull (NC from Way Back When

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 08:02:14 PM »
Ahhh.... so many votes for Chicago!  Sorta reminds me about that qoute from the  old days of the Washington Senators, "Washington... first in war, first in peace, and last in the American League".

Geez Joe, you invited me to drop in here just so I could see all the nasty things you're saying about my poor team.  I'm hurt.

Actually, I believe the Bulls are finally on their way up from the gutter they've been living in for the last 6 years.  Why?  New management.  Much of the problems of the last 6 years can be traced to Jerry Krause.

Some have said the Bulls are so bad because they refuse to let loose of the purse strings.  I have a different take.  Krause always felt that he never got the credit he deserved for the glory years.  So since the end of the dynasty, Krause's objective was to find that hidden gem, that golden nugget that everyone else overlooked.  He was looking for that "home run" sort of draft pick or trade that would prove to the world what an incredible basketball genius he is.  Unfortunately, like the home run hitter in baseball who's always swinging for the fences, Krause basically piled up a bunch of strikeouts.

The trade of Brand was prompted more by Krause's search for the next great superstar (Tyson Chandler?) than the Bulls refusal to cough up the bucks to keep him.  With that having failed, Krause then looked around for a player already in the league who could blossom into a star if given the opportunity to be "the man" (Jalen Rose?).  The Bulls gave up the store to get Rose, a petulant star known for one on one play and poor shot selection.

In short, I believe Krause's ego was the source of MUCH of the problems of the last 6 years.  Fortunately, Krause is gone.  John Paxson inherited a dismal team though.  Curry is skilled but lazy.  Chandler has heart and athleticism but little skill.  Jamal Crawford didn't give a damn about defense and preferred to stand on the perimeter and take jump shots instead of driving the paint.  And Jalen Rose put on his usual petulant, self-serving performance as the "go-to" guy.

Paxson has remade the team in the last 18 months.  Only Curry and Chandler are left from the team he inherited.  They finally have some guards who'll penetrate in Duhon, Gordon, and to a lesser extent Hinrich.  Skiles finally has these guys playing HARD and giving effort on the defensive end.  Pax had a GREAT offseason this year acquiring Gordon, Deng, Duhon (2nd round), and Nocioni (undrafted).  Duhon's shooting is woeful but the guy does everything else well.  Gordon is quickly becoming a go-to guy.  Deng has shown great potential at times but continues to be inconsistent.

Do the Bulls re-sign Chandler and Curry?  I'm very pessimistic about Curry.  I think this guy is gonna be the next Greg Ostertag.  He waited until his contract year to FINALLY get into playing shape.  Give him a fat contract and I'm convinced he'll go back to being overweight and out of shape, not to mention giving little effort on the court.  In several ways, I'd prefer to see the Bulls hold on to the far less talented Chandler.  At least he plays with desire.  With better hands and a jump shot, Chandler could be dangerous, but I'm not holding my breath on either of those counts.  What he is right now is an excellent rebounder and an increasingly good defensive player.

So yeah, the Bulls have easily been the most pathetic team in the league the past 6 years but I believe Paxson and Skiles are finally turning this team around.  I do NOT believe they're the worst team in the league at this point.  Hope springs eternal, right?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 08:10:31 PM »
Harrington has struggled to be "the" guy (alongside Walker) and no one knows that worse than I do (he is on my fantasy team and he has been horrible).

LMAO@U
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2004, 09:52:44 AM »
Harrington had a VERY poor start -- and while he is putting up great numbers scoring-wise NOW, his rebound numbers have been down this year.  He is a very solid player now but not the keeper that I thought he would be -- a solid player who is helping me night in and night out but not the double-digit rebounder I had hoped for (which is probably why I offered TWO players for Shaq).