Author Topic: Is Mourning headed to Miami?  (Read 739 times)

Guest_Randy

Is Mourning headed to Miami?
« on: December 20, 2004, 02:32:37 PM »
It looks as if the Raptors will buy out Mourning's contract allowing Mourning to choose his destination for the rest of the season -- balmy Miami alongside his longtime nemesis, Shaquille O'Neal.  While Mourning is still only a 15-20 minute a night player, it's a system I think he would be more comfortable with and it would give the Heat better back-up minutes behind Shaq's 30-35 per night.  

Miami is already, at this point in the EC, a lock for the playoffs but signing Mourning could help bolster their inside play in the playoffs.  The Heat will still have to find a way to counter the quick interior players of the Detroit Pistons, who look to be their biggest roadblocks to a trip to the NBA Finals (which, I might add, is Shaq's DREAM season -- proving that he didn't NEED Kobe Bryant to earn his three titles).  

Of course, one might want to remind Miami that this might be the WORST thing for their team -- a title shot this year -- perhaps even a title (although I don't believe it's possible) would be the worst thing for Shaq.  Why?  He would get his extension and lose all incentives for coming back ready to play (in game shape) and no longer have anything to prove!  That's not a good thing for Shaq -- who seemingly can only be motivated by his pride or a coach by the name of Phil Jackson!

jn

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 02:52:59 PM »
Word is that Mourning may not be able to pass a physical.  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 04:27:57 PM »
But will Miami care?  If he can play limited minutes in the playoffs, I'm not sure they would care.  An injured Zo playing limited minutes is better than their current back-up, IMO.