Author Topic: Nick Van Exel  (Read 1314 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nick Van Exel
« on: December 01, 2004, 02:15:35 PM »
I have said it a couple of times, but I think our acquistion of NVE will mean 6 to 8 wins for us.  He got us a win in the first game of the season and he got us a win last night.  Zach and Shareef had solid nights and Miles had a big game off the bench, but with Portland the 2 most important players are Damon and DA.  When they play well we win, when they don't we lose.  If you have a player like NVE coming off the bench the probability that a bad game by Damon will sink you is reduced greatly.  Damon and DA had bad games yesterday, but NVE stepped it up.  He ran the offense very well.  Down the stretch we needed Zach to take over and NVE made sure it happened.  He consistently got the ball to Zach and Zach delivered.  NVE made some big shots, passed te ball well, and led the team like a PG should lead the team.  I am not sure he is a 35 minute per night guy anymore, but as a 20 to 25 minute guy coming off the bench he perfect.

We gave up Dale Davis to get him.  DD would not have made the difference in a single game.  It was a pure steal.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Guest_Randy

Nick Van Exel
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 03:22:24 PM »
I agree -- NVE won the game for the Blazers -- but more because of the fact that he went over and told the ref that Danny Fortson was still talking (neglecting to add that SAR was still talking as well) and the ref LISTENS to NVE and gives Fortson his second T and boom, he is gone!  Without Fortson, the Sonics go down -- easy!  

Not really blaming NVE but what kind of an IDIOT ref listens to the PG of the opposing team to blow a second tech and ejecting Fortson from the game?  Esp. when SAR was continuing to jack his jaw as well!  NVE must have been laughing all night long!  

The Blazers were ahead a couple of points when Fortson was ejected -- not saying that they wouldn't have pulled out the win but Fortson ejection made it a LOT more easy on everyone (esp. SAR).

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Nick Van Exel
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 04:12:16 PM »
what kind of an IDIOT ref listens to the PG of the opposing team to blow a second tech and ejecting Fortson from the game? Esp. when SAR was continuing to jack his jaw as well!

What kind of idiot keeps yapping when he already has a technical?

jn

Nick Van Exel
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 04:30:43 PM »
This sounds reminiscent of a Wolves/Sonics game in Seattle a couple years ago.  Gary Payton earned himself a technical in the first few minutes, then earned another about 10 minutes later when he and Anthony Peeler traded elbows.    After GP "reminded" the ref that he already had one the ref suddenly eliminated the T on GP and kept him in the game.  Replays showed GP telling the ref "then I'm out!" after the second tech.  Possibly the worst "star system" call I have ever seen.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Nick Van Exel
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 05:57:00 PM »
This sounds reminiscent of a Wolves/Sonics game in Seattle a couple years ago.  Gary Payton earned himself a technical in the first few minutes, then earned another about 10 minutes later when he and Anthony Peeler traded elbows.    After GP "reminded" the ref that he already had one the ref suddenly eliminated the T on GP and kept him in the game.  Replays showed GP telling the ref "then I'm out!" after the second tech.  Possibly the worst "star system" call I have ever seen.
Wrong Jn, that kind of stuff only happens if you are a Laker.  That was a very good call on the Ref's part seeing how GP was not a Laker yet.

NVE is still very fun to watch IMO.  I love that herky jerky style he has, just drives defenders bonkers.  Why Dallas got rid of NVE after he was the main reason they even made it out of the second round makes me scratch my head.  Ziggy, NVE is money.  He probably only is a 25-30 minute player but he will give you clutch shooting, beautiful tear drops/floaters in the paint, and he is one of the most competitive players in the league.  Plus to top it off (someone check the temp of hell) he seems to be Mr. Level head up north.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 05:58:30 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Nick Van Exel
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 10:33:16 AM »
Dallas got rid of Nick Van Exel in this deal:

Nick Van Exel, Avery Johnson, Evan Eschmeyer, Popeye Jones, and Antoine Rigaudeau

in exchange for:

Antawn Jamison, Jiri Welsch, Danny Fortson, and Chris Mills

I don't know about you, but I make that deal in a flat second.  Dallas needed rebounding and an interior presence.  Jamison is an interior presence, and Fortson was supposed to be toughness and rebounding.  (Of course, Fortson flopped in Dallas.)

Dallas's "problem" was that they didn't stop there.  They continued:  trading Jiri Welsch, Chris Mills and Raef LaFrentz - their projected starting center - *AND* a number 1 draft pick for Antoine Walker and Tony Delk.

(That number 1 pick turned out to be Delonte West.)

Van Exel played well for Dallas, but he's had as many BAD crucial games as GOOD crucial games.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Guest_Randy

Nick Van Exel
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 11:10:18 AM »
I think it was TOUGH trading NVE and Avery Johnson (who was VERY important to have on the Dallas bench) -- however, what they got in return was VERY good and helped fill some voids.  Jamison WAS a help in the offense and was better defensively than anyone else in Dallas (outside of Bradley's shotblocking).  Fortson and LaFrentz were never going to excel in Dallas -- Nellie's offensive schemes require movement -- something that Fortson will NEVER be able to do (see his excelling in Seattle as proof -- Seattle moves it's guards and runs pick and rolls but they don't move it's post players).  

Dallas just went too far after last years trades -- they basically traded a TON of talent -- for what?  Walker?  Why they turned around and let go for nothing -- same with Steve Nash -- and then they traded Jamison for Stackhouse and Christian Laettner?  Stackhouse ISN'T a good defensive player and his natural position is SG (you already have Finley and Daniels at this position and BOTH are better offensively and defensively than Stackhouse).  Dallas promptly dumped Laettner so they basically traded Jamison for Stackhouse -- who will spend as much time on the IL as he will playing.  

Dallas has always had a LOT of talent sitting on the bench (Daniels, Howard, etc.) but these stupid trades in the off-season have really hurt Dallas' depth -- why couldn't they have traded Jamison for a young PG?  Jason Kidd?  

Dumb trades have hurt Dallas this year -- and I think it's apparent that Mark Cuban pulled the trigger on these trades -- I think Nellie is a better assessor of talent than to make THESE kind of trades.  Cuban understands basketball like he understands reality shows!  He needs to just open his wallet and let Nellie be the GM (and Nellie needs to let someone else coach!).

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Nick Van Exel
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 11:50:58 AM »
Dallas got rid of Nick Van Exel in this deal:

Nick Van Exel, Avery Johnson, Evan Eschmeyer, Popeye Jones, and Antoine Rigaudeau

in exchange for:

Antawn Jamison, Jiri Welsch, Danny Fortson, and Chris Mills

I don't know about you, but I make that deal in a flat second.  Dallas needed rebounding and an interior presence.  Jamison is an interior presence, and Fortson was supposed to be toughness and rebounding.  (Of course, Fortson flopped in Dallas.)

Dallas's "problem" was that they didn't stop there.  They continued:  trading Jiri Welsch, Chris Mills and Raef LaFrentz - their projected starting center - *AND* a number 1 draft pick for Antoine Walker and Tony Delk.

(That number 1 pick turned out to be Delonte West.)

Van Exel played well for Dallas, but he's had as many BAD crucial games as GOOD crucial games.
They made the deal then ended up getting rid of most of those players the following year.  Must not have been that good of a deal for them.

He's never had a real horrible game because he was comming off the bench.  Plus he was straight money in the playoffs.  Without him they wouldnt have got anywhere.  The most successfull season they have had was with Van Exel.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com