Author Topic: is seattle for real??  (Read 988 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
is seattle for real??
« on: November 23, 2004, 10:33:34 PM »
ok, now i figured this would just be a few good games at the begginning of the season before they tanked it, but this team is getting another win against a contender.  how long will this last.  it is great for my fantasy team , allen is dong well, but i never thought they would last this long winning, how do they do that???
this team is a really big surprise...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jn

is seattle for real??
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 11:46:26 AM »
Remember they started out hot last year too.  Still I must concede they look even better.  In particular Antonio Daniels looks like like a changed man and Allen is at the top of his game.

Last year they beat teams strictly with hot shooting from outside.  Last night they got layups by causing turnovers and getting offensive boards.

The Wolves are not in sync and do not seem happy about it.  Cassell is playing some really uninspired ball right now.  He and the team started slow last year as well but the raised expectations  and Spree and Sam's contract BS have changed how both players and fans the slow start.

Guest_Randy

is seattle for real??
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 12:32:02 PM »
There are a couple of differences with Seattle:

1)  Antonio Daniels is FINALLY playing like he did in SA long ago and living up to his promise.  He has tried to be the scorer in the past rather than allowing the game to come to him and be the orchestrator.  Barry's leaving was good for Antonio because it has made him "the man."  Daniels has always been a fairly good defensive player and now he is beginning to gain confidence in his game -- a very good thing for the Sonics.  But Daniels isn't the main reason that Seattle is doing so well.

2)  Ray Allen is playing like he is out-of-his-mind.  Ray has always been a great shooter, a decent scorer and an underrated defender but as good as Ray is playing, he isn't the reason they are doing so well, IMO.

3)  Rashard Lewis is also playing very well -- and isn't feeling the pressure like he was at the end of last year of being the #2 option because of the play of others.  That's a good thing for Rashard who will have times where he is the #2 man but times where he just disappears.

4)  The BIGGEST reason for Seattle's upside is because of the addition of Danny Fortson who gives Seattle what they have been missing for YEARS!  A tough guy in the middle who will play enforcer.  And stats don't tell the whole story for Fortson's impact -- the centers for Seattle (Jerome James, etc.) have been playing soft for years -- Fortson is taking it to them in practice and toughening them up.  He is also leading the charge and setting the standard for rebounding and post defense.  He isn't starting but he is helping add a toughness to Seattle that they've been missing for years!

However, Seattle is catching a lot of teams unaware -- they won't continue to do that.  I think they have a legit shot at the playoffs but other teams are going to be much better and Seattle is playing at the top of their potential.  Houston is going (okay, should) get better, same for Minnesota, SacTown is already improving, Dallas is already there, SA is already there, the Lakers are going to make the playoffs and I think Utah will as well -- so that leaves Seattle and Denver fighting for that 8th spot.  The Western Conference is going to be exciting this year -- it's going to be exciting to see who makes it into the playoffs because the West is deeper than ever.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
is seattle for real??
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 06:28:10 PM »
Im with Randy on this one.  Teams are not sleeping on the Sonics anymore.  They've seen what they can do.   The scouts have seen enough games to know what this team looks like with the personal changes they had in the off-season.  On top of that, they depend on outside shooting 9 games out of 10.  Anytime you rely on outside shooting to win games for you, you end up skidding out real bad when one of the players starts to slump.  
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com