Author Topic: Jazz Thoughts  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Jazz Thoughts
« on: October 18, 2004, 06:20:15 PM »
I watched a few Rocky Mountain Revue games and some of the first exhibition game last night, and the Jazz' young players and new acquisitions have looked good.

I see their depth chart as follows:

Carlos Arroyo, Undrafted free agent, Raul Lopez
Gordan Giricek, Harpring, Snyder
AK47, Harpring, Snyder
Carlos Boozer, Kris Humphries, Jarron Collins
Mehmet Okur, Jarron Collins, Curtis Borchardt

I'll go through, player by player.

Carlos Arroyo looked great in the Olympics, and Jazz assistant Gordie Chiesa says Arroyo has come back with a new level of confidence. He knows he can play with the best in the world, and has been aggressive in practice. I think he'll improve over last year.

Raul Lopez is injured right now. He came into camp with a sore knee, probably residual from the Olympics. The Jazz are looking at a couple of no-name free agents to fill the temporary hole. Here is where they will miss Mo Williams. Lopez looks to miss 5 to 10 games. But Arroyo will probably play 40+ minutes while Lopez is gone, so they should be okay.

Gordan Giricek needs to learn to defend the way Jerry Sloan wants him to. If he does, he'll have a nice career here. Jerry loves pure shooters and knows how to use them well; but he has to get some defense out of them. Word is Giricek came to camp in great shape and has looked good so far.

Matt Harpring probably won't start. He'll be a great sixth man though. He had 18/6/4 yesterday. He'll get time at both SG and SF, probably more at SF. Harpring will struggle to defend quicker twos, but he's a strong inside scorer, so he could exploit a small SG here and there. His defense on comparable players is good enough for Sloan.

Andrei Kirilenko: Is in good shape and looks ready for another season. Some worry that he may be distracted from the breakdown in contract extension talks. His agent Marc Fleischer says AK and the Jazz are about 10 million dollars apart. AK's agent wants max money, the Jazz want some concession for being willing to offer AK long-term financial security now, rather than after next season when a new CBA could limit his earning power. I'm not too concerned about the Jazz signing him before the October 31 deadline. Fleischer wants AK to make as much as Pau Gasol makes. Seems fair to me. But if the Jazz can lock him up long-term for less, I say they go for it. he's a RFA at the end of the season, so the Jazz can match any offer, but a heavily front-loaded deal would hurt a little more.

Kirk Snyder is awesome. I love the way this guy plays. He is a total slasher; he takes the ball hard to the hoop any time he can, and he's got a pretty good jumper. He's a tough defender, too. I really like this guy's possibilities.

Carlos Boozer should do well in Utah. He doesn't have the abilities of a Karl Malone, but Jerry Sloan knows how to use a PF with range on his jumper. Boozer will build on his numbers from last year, and he'll have plenty of boards in the middle.

Kris Humphries went nuts in his first summer league game. He started out 9 for 9 or something. He's buff for a college sophomore, is very athletic and has nice touch. He'll develop into a decent player. Maybe a Gugliotta type (before the injury).

Jarron Collins is the type of player Sloan likes to have. No surprises. You know what you're going to get. Has good touch and plays hard againts the bigs.

Mehmet Okur will be good if he listens to Sloan. Mehmet is the most offensively skilled center the Jazz have ever had. If he plays tough D and hits the boards, he'll do fine. The shots will be there, mainly because the Jazz have been coveting a center who can hit a jumper for years. He'll get 8 to 10 open J's per game, and everything else will come according to his effort, IMO.

Curtis Borchardt may actually be quite of a surprise to some people around the league. He is finally healthy, and has looked good so far. He has a real knack for shot blocking and he bangs for the boards. He is accurate to about 18 feet and has pretty good hands for a seven footer. He could possibly get more minutes than Collins.

It'll be interesting to see where the numbers go on this team. After last year, AK seemed ready to be a 20/8/5/5/5/5/5/5/5 ;) type of guy. But Boozer is going to his, and Arroyo is developing into a skilled scoring PG. Who knows? This Jazz team might be pretty exciting to watch. They're young, fast, athletic and full of guys who can put it in the hoop. I'm thinking they'll at least be in the top ten in points scored. Defense will tell how well they do, IMO.

"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Jazz Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 06:59:47 PM »
Do you honestly believe Okur can play solid defense all season long?  He seems like it takes alot of energy for him to get that body up and down the court.

The AK move IMO is a no brainer.  He's at the top of the new class of emerging players in the league.  3-4 years and a few playoff apperances and he will become a very good player.  Much better than Gasol for the simple fact that his defense is ALOT better.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Jazz Thoughts
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 08:44:53 PM »
i actually think okur is, and is going to be, a solid defender.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Jazz Thoughts
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 08:53:16 PM »
i actually think okur is, and is going to be, a solid defender.
Ehhh...could be.  I don't think hes that good of a defender.  I think the defense for the most part has been watered down and it makes certain players look better on that end.  Thats just my opinion.  We will see this year.

Matt H at the 3, Boozer at the 4, and AK at the 5 would give them some favorable matchups against teams like the Warriors, Lakers, Clippers, and Kings.  I'm sure AK has ran laps around Osterslug in practice plenty of times before. They would have the upper hand defensively.  Couldn't really post any of them up and Boozer/AK in the middle would get it done.

Ted/db just because we have 3 and a half (Dan doesnt post all that often) posters who like the Lakers that doesn't mean that thats all the board cares about.  We care about pushing Republican's over the edge.  You know causing them to lead the crusade of killing and pillaging all barbarians aka Kerry supporters via text.  The Lakers are not bigger than the sport to me.  I enjoy just basketball first and Lakers basketball second....third....and forth.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 09:20:12 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Jazz Thoughts
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 07:46:40 PM »
I know I don't post all that often in the off season WestKoast but it doesn't mean I don't follow what is happening.

My thoughts are the Jazz have a couple of things going for them that not only make for great improvements over last year, but also make them easily a surprise for anyone caught napping when they meet them this season.

First, Carlos Arroyo is going to have a great year. His performance in the Olypmpics was a huge confidence builder for him and proved he can play with almost any PG out there. This kid can play and if he stays healthy, will be a factor.

Second, Carlos Boozer will thrive in Jerry Sloans program, Sloan loves someone who can bang the boards and given the right environment, Boozer is that type of player, I agree with Ted, he is not the physical presence of a Malone, but he should have great numbers in the rebound column, which leads to my next point:

Kirilenko is near superstar status and having someone like Boozer for the quick passes on the offensive boards could lead to a monster year for Utah's Russian nightmare. I think anyone who doubts his committment to Utah in a salary standoff misjudges the European mindset a country mile. They come to play and give 110% regardless of the negotiations going on in the background, the distraction thing is an American self-centered spoiled punk brat thing for the most part missing from the Euro's and so I expect Kirilenko to have a great year. He will never be looked at a superstar in the NBA and among NBA fans because he is a gangly un-gangsta' looking foreign whiteboy, but make no mistake, IMO this kid's hustle, his committment to health and fundamentals, and his off-season training mean this kid will play all out regardless of his idiot agents efforts to turn him into a selfish American punk. I love everything about Kirilenko's game and attitude, man would he look good in purple and gold!!!!

Harpring benefits from all this in that until he is healthy enough to come off the bench and start for Utah (and he will), Utah still has a decent post presence, especially with Sacramento taking Osterfat off their hands ( :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: ) so when he is in a postition to start, his physical style of play and decent recovery from the disaster that was last years injury will fit perfectly and Utah's overall frontcourt coupled to Arroyo's improved game means that opponents dismiss them at their own peril.

Finally, I admit it Joe Vancil, you were right, I was wrong, Jerry Sloan is every bit the coach you have always said he was and more, this Jazz team, while not championship calibre yet, is certainly a strong team tha can make some waves, I say 5-7 seed and realistically these cats could make it to the second round, I think they're very underestimated.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 07:50:29 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan