Author Topic: The folly of being a hater and a fanatic.  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
The folly of being a hater and a fanatic.
« on: October 13, 2004, 02:22:27 PM »
Here's the deal.

In my other Yahoo H2H league, I drafted TMac with my first-round pick (pick #6). The guy drafting 3rd wasn't online and hadn't preranked, and he got Kobe. He hates Kobe. I'm not sure, but I think he might be Reality's long-lost brother. Anyway, he wants to trade me for TMac, straight up. I think I'll do it. I expect Kobe to be a monster this year, and even though I don't especially like him, I believe you can't let personal feelings dictate your fantasy moves. (Who knows, maybe I should, since I finished last in the phillyarena league last year.)

Here's where it gets interesting. There's another guy in our league who is a nut-job Laker Fan. And he wants Kobe. He has LeBron, Kidd (he didn't do his homework), Amare, Tony P. and Odom. He wants to have both Kobe and Odom and is willing to give up even LeBron to get him. I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the TMac/Kobe deal and then offer the Laker fan Kobe for LeBron and Amare. What do you guys think?

"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 02:25:40 PM »
I'd trade Kobe for LeBron and Amare in a heartbeat.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 02:25:50 PM »
I'd do BOTH in a heartbeat -- Kobe is going to have a monster year this year and his numbers will be significantly better than TMac's, IMO.  But LeBron's numbers won't be that far behind Kobe's and the addition of Amare is too much to pass up.  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 02:39:42 PM »
I'd do BOTH in a heartbeat -- Kobe is going to have a monster year this year and his numbers will be significantly better than TMac's, IMO.  But LeBron's numbers won't be that far behind Kobe's and the addition of Amare is too much to pass up.
I :shudder: agree.  It's a no brainer....LeBron & Amare for either TMac or Kobe is a no brainer fantasy wise.  If you have to include another player then I would think about the trade some more.

That's twice this year we have agreed Randy....watch out for 2005.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 02:48:59 PM »
I'd do BOTH in a heartbeat -- Kobe is going to have a monster year this year and his numbers will be significantly better than TMac's, IMO.  But LeBron's numbers won't be that far behind Kobe's and the addition of Amare is too much to pass up.
I :shudder: agree.  It's a no brainer....LeBron & Amare for either TMac or Kobe is a no brainer fantasy wise.  If you have to include another player then I would think about the trade some more.

That's twice this year we have agreed Randy....watch out for 2005.
Lurker,

Here's hoping that 2005 will be even better than 2004 (that means ZERO agreement)!   :alcohol:   (sorry, couldn't find the champagne glasses for a toast)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 02:49:55 PM »
Typically, I don't advocate trading quality for depth.  But....

LeBron's going to have a monster year in his own right.  Plus, he's listed as a pg.

Now, consider this.  They've been talking about Amare STARTING at center at some point in the season, meaning he very well might become an FC.  Making him a 20/10/2/1 FC, or a top 5 center easy.  LeBron's currently listed as a PG, the 2nd hardest position to fill.  The cavs just recently announced that they are starting a mcginnis/snow backcourt, meaning LeBron will start at the 3, and gain G/F status.  Now, Yahoo! won't remove a players positional status during a season, only adding onto it, meaning Amare could very well be an fc and lebron a PG, GF (can play pg, sg or sf), capable of putting up 23 ppg, 6 rpg and 6 apg.  Easily one of the top players in the league.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 02:53:43 PM »
I'd do BOTH in a heartbeat -- Kobe is going to have a monster year this year and his numbers will be significantly better than TMac's, IMO.  But LeBron's numbers won't be that far behind Kobe's and the addition of Amare is too much to pass up.
TRADE!!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 02:56:19 PM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 02:55:17 PM »
Nice analysis dabods. I had heard about LeBron playing SF, but not about Amare possibly being a center. That makes me want to do this even more. Although it would be nice to have one stud for once. I really think Kobe's going to be a monster this year.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 03:28:32 PM »
Here's the deal.

In my other Yahoo H2H league, I drafted TMac with my first-round pick (pick #6). The guy drafting 3rd wasn't online and hadn't preranked, and he got Kobe. He hates Kobe. I'm not sure, but I think he might be Reality's long-lost brother. Anyway, he wants to trade me for TMac, straight up. I think I'll do it. I expect Kobe to be a monster this year, and even though I don't especially like him, I believe you can't let personal feelings dictate your fantasy moves. (Who knows, maybe I should, since I finished last in the phillyarena league last year.)

Here's where it gets interesting. There's another guy in our league who is a nut-job Laker Fan. And he wants Kobe. He has LeBron, Kidd (he didn't do his homework), Amare, Tony P. and Odom. He wants to have both Kobe and Odom and is willing to give up even LeBron to get him. I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the TMac/Kobe deal and then offer the Laker fan Kobe for LeBron and Amare. What do you guys think?
When it comes to wanting to win in fantasy basketball the only thing that matters is stats.  Kobe will put up stats.  Last night he scored 30 with very little effort and barely loosing his breathe.  With the offense focused in on Kobe to score and to create out of double teams he is going to post good numbers.

Same thing with someone like TO or Randy Moss in fantasy football.  I dont really like Randy Moss as a person (from what i've seen/read) but when it comes to making touchdown catches and big yardage plays, hes the man.  Personal life aside hes a great player.

The Laker fantaic is a moron....why have two players on the same team?  If Kobe drops 40 one night chances are Odom isn't going to score that much.  Maybe even vice versa on some nights.  He has Lebron and Kidd....between them both hes going to have like 40 points 15+ assists and 10+ rebounds every night.  If you could get Lebron and one other decent player it probably would be well worth it.  Lebron's numbers will be very good this year.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 03:31:59 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 04:53:11 PM »
Here's the deal.

Ted,
Now is the time for you to be the smart one and RIP SOMEONE OFF.  Don't just settle for a straight up McGrady for Kobe, add your #13 and take his #5.  Same thing with the guy who wants Kobe.  If these guys are willing to do something stupid because they want to get or get rid of a player then they need to be abused.  Strike while the iron is hot.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil