Author Topic: Wolves to sign Eddie Griffin?  (Read 716 times)

jn

Wolves to sign Eddie Griffin?
« on: October 05, 2004, 08:46:16 AM »
I'm a bit surprised their even talking to this guy.  I have never seen ANY indication this guy is interested in getting the most out of his talent.

email this       print this    
 Posted on Tue, Oct. 05, 2004

Wolves might add Griffin

BY MIKE WELLS

Pioneer Press

The Timberwolves, who have a shortage of frontcourt players, are trying to work out a deal to sign talented but troubled forward Eddie Griffin.

"We're hopeful we're going to get him signed in the near future," Wolves general manager Jim Stack said.

Griffin, the seventh overall pick in the 2001 draft out of Seton Hall, missed most of last season because of legal battles and substance abuse issues. He was given 18 months' probation this year after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor charge of deadly conduct. Griffin also was fined and had his driver's license suspended by a judge after a marijuana conviction. He was released by the New Jersey Nets last season.

"You hope that Eddie has been able to overcome that stuff and he's moving onto a new chapter in his life," Wolves vice president of operations Kevin McHale said. "If he comes here, we'll see what he's going to bring."

Kevin Garnett, Mark Madsen, Michael Olowokandi, Ervin Johnson and Wally Szczerbiak are the only frontcourt players on the roster. Signing Griffin, who has averaged 8.7 points and 5.8 rebounds during his career, would give the Wolves 12 players under contract and only two point guards on the roster. Wolves officials have said they want to keep three point guards on the roster.

"You only have so many spots," McHale said. "Right now, I would say our primary concern would be the frontcourt. But we'll see what happens in practice and everything else."