Author Topic: Back to basketball  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Back to basketball
« on: September 15, 2004, 08:23:34 AM »
Nets and Blazers
talking Kidd trade

BY MITCH LAWRENCE
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Jason Kidd could be headed to Portland in exchange for forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim as Nets look to reduce payroll.  

In what would amount to the final dismantling of their team, the Nets are discussing a blockbuster trade that would send Jason Kidd to the Portland Trail Blazers in exchange for Shareef Adbur-Rahim.
Several NBA sources said that talks have been held for the last few days, but CEO Rod Thorn said last night that the Nets are not close to dealing their superstar point guard or anyone else.

"I don't comment on anything regarding players," Thorn said.

However, Portland president Steve Patterson told CBS Sportsline that the two teams had discussed a Kidd-Abdur-Rahim deal.

"It's early," Patterson said. "It's interesting, but I don't know if anything will happen."

The Nets, who have created a negative backlash with their fans by stripping down their team with the trades of Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles this offseason, are looking into dealing Kidd as they continue to look to decrease payroll under new owner Bruce Ratner.

The Nets believe that Portland might be one of the few teams that would deal for Kidd without reservations about his recently repaired knee. The Blazers also have a history of some of the biggest payrolls in the NBA. And Blazers owner Paul Allen could easily absorb the remaining five years on Kidd's contract at close to $90 million.

Although trading Kidd would be immensely unpopular with their remaining fans, the Nets are concerned about how Kidd is going to deal with the wholesale changes since last season that have reduced the team from Eastern Conference contender status. While he has not demanded a trade, Kidd has let the Nets know that he would accept deals to several Western Conference teams, including Sacramento, Minnesota and Dallas.

Kidd has been rehabbing his knee and could miss all of training camp, if not the start of the regular season. While Thorn said there is no timetable for Kidd's return, there is speculation he could miss the first month of the season.

The Nets tried to get Abdur-Rahim earlier this summer, when they offered Kerry Kittles for the disgruntled forward. But they ended up dealing Kittles to the Clippers for a draft pick. With Ratner looking to slash his payroll, Abdur-Rahim would be an attractive player, if only because he has one year left on his deal. Kidd makes $14.8 million this season, while Abdur-Rahim, who has demanded to be traded, makes $14.6 million, so it works from a salary-cap standpoint.

Before the draft in June, the Nets sent their No. 1 pick to Portland for cash and guard Eddie Gill, who was later waived.

With Ohm Youngmisuk

Originally published on September 15, 2004  

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Back to basketball
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 08:28:47 AM »
I doubt it happens.  But man would it be funny (as a Sixers fan)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Back to basketball
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 09:17:07 AM »
I saw another article where this is an extension of talks earlier when NJ offered Kittles & baggage for SAR.  Portland countered with "include Kidd or forget it".  Now NJ is thinking about it again.

As a Spurs fan I also find this amusing....poor Jason could have signed with a true contender.   :nod:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Back to basketball
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 09:18:43 AM »
I saw another article where this is an extension of talks earlier when NJ offered Kittles & baggage for SAR.  Portland countered with "include Kidd or forget it".  Now NJ is thinking about it again.

As a Spurs fan I also find this amusing....poor Jason could have signed with a true contender.   :nod:
*mumbles in sleep*

He's comming to LA

*wakes up*

*realizes Mitch K. is the GM*

*goes back to sleep*
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Back to basketball
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 09:21:12 AM »
*mumbles in sleep*

He's comming to LA

*wakes up*

*goes back to sleep*
Still sleeping off last night's mescal I see.  As usual you are confused....you are still thinking about last year with Malone, Payton and GM Shaq.  Finish sleeping it off and return when you are at least half way coherent.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Back to basketball
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 10:16:00 AM »
*mumbles in sleep*

He's comming to LA

*wakes up*

*goes back to sleep*
Still sleeping off last night's mescal I see.  As usual you are confused....you are still thinking about last year with Malone, Payton and GM Shaq.  Finish sleeping it off and return when you are at least half way coherent.
So Mitch traded Shaq not because he wanted more money or because Kobe wanted him to go.......but because he actually wanted to do his own job?  Makes sense to me!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 10:17:01 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Back to basketball
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 11:56:55 AM »
I doubt it happens.  But man would it be funny (as a Sixers fan)
I am in agreement with Derek, I doubt it happens.  I have heard 832 trade rumors all summer, and nothing has happened yet, so this is just more of the same.
As far as Kidd, I have never been a huge fan, always thought he was overrated because of his shooting and TO's.  Of course just because I thougfht he was overrated doesn't mean that he isn't a good player.  I would love to have him.

Personally I would rather they move Zach than Rahim.  Couple of reasons.  
I think Zach is a black hole, throw it in and it never comes out.  He is also a head case, and will always be in trouble.  To put it mildly, he is a crappy defender, and a poor passer.  He can score, and rebound though.
The second reason is salary.  If we move Zach in a trade whatever we get will equal what we give up, so no payroll change this year.  At the end of the year we will have $50 million + come off.  To resign the players we want from that group would cost us about $25 million (Rahim, Ratliff, Van Exel).  So we save $50 million because we are paying tax.

If we trade Rahim then we only have $36 million coming off, and it will cost us up to $15 to resign the guys we want, plus we will have to pay Zach $10, and we will have Kidd committed at $14, so we only save maybe $18 million, or $36 million with the tax.  The difference between Rahim and Zach is to small to warrent paying and extra $14 million in total payroll and tax.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil