Author Topic: Olympic team  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Olympic team
« on: August 22, 2004, 03:39:06 AM »
Which individuals selected the US Oly Mens hoop team?

I know we might have gone over this before but can you update it for me?

I know 6-10 selections bailed, and many of those were late bails but......

I think we were consensus that Stephon Marbury has no place on this team.
Also Larry Brown gave Lebron James 6 minutes vs Lithuania after he was great the previous game, most calling him the catalyst.  I did not catch Lith, zzzzzzz did anyone else?  Game on line with 55 seconds and ball is in Marburys hands.  Turnover.  Not surprised.  Was he also D ing up on the Lith guy who shot 4 3 pointers in the last 1:30?  It could be the US was in a zone D, Im just asking not putting the whole game on Marbury.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Olympic team
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 09:46:48 AM »
I watched the game.  You can't put the whole game on Marbury, but he was atrocious.  Kind of reminded me of...well...Marbury.

Odom committed the dumb foul on the three-pointer.  As for who was guarding Jasikevicius on most of his shots?  No one.  TIM DUNCAN didn't show on the other side of the screen roll.

The US Team can't shoot.  Especially not free-throws.

I found this funny:  going into the game with Lithuania, the US Men's team was DEAD-LAST in 3-point percentage.  In fact, if you throw in all the WOMENS basketball teams, the US Men's team was DEAD-LAST in 3-point percentage.

Darn, it's a good thing they've got that line shortened for international competition.  Might kill someone with some of the bricks that we clang up there.  Oh...good point...everyone's safe, because those bricks are coming from the FREE THROW LINE.

Yes, we're NEXT TO LAST in Free-Throw percentage (Mens' only - don't know who is worse, and don't know where we are when we add the women in).

Tell you what - if Lisa Leslie proves she can still dunk by dunking in the Olympics, I say next time, let's just have an exhibition of the US women vs. the US men.  Might has well get our teams ready - our women ready for victory and our men ready for embarrassment.

HOWEVER, let me say this about the men's team:  I didn't recognize them when they took the floor.  They were playing INTERNATIONAL BASKETBALL at the start of this game.  And they were looking decent at it.  They were beating a zone with good passing.  For a moment, I thought we had a chance...even at the gold.  

It's not our players aren't capable of playing the style...it's just that it's so new to them.  And a lot more pleasant to watch, too.  ARE YOU LISTENING, DAVID STERN?

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olympic team
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 01:05:20 PM »
Which individuals selected the US Oly Mens hoop team?

The man in charge was the great all-knowing, builder of the Vancouver Grizzlies, "Stooge Jackson".  Put an idiot in charge and this is what you get.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Olympic team
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 08:46:20 AM »

The man in charge was the great all-knowing, builder of the Vancouver Grizzlies, "Stooge Jackson".  Put an idiot in charge and this is what you get.
Wow.  That he couldnt figure out a 3 pt shooter is needed in Int play.....

So, advancement to quarterfinals.
Is it now one game and out or double elimination?

Hope it doesn't come down to FTs again.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 12:17:00 PM by Reality »

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Olympic team
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 09:11:48 AM »
Reality,

We have a meaningless game against Angola, and then, it's single-game elimination the rest of the way.  Three wins to the gold - lose the first, or lose the second and third, and it's no medal.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Olympic team
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 10:19:00 PM »
Joe or anyone with accurate info,

For the love of.....the webites etc have 4700 articles on The mens team meltdown, why they Meltdown, how they meltdown, with whom the meltdown, why Brown will Meltdow etc.

All i would like to know is what time and station is Game One of the medal rounds being telecast?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 10:20:04 PM by Reality »

Guest_Randy

Olympic team
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 08:26:38 AM »
The process that was used is incredibly flawed -- as flawed as the current NBA game!  Why?  It has EVERYTHING to do with selling products and popular players -- it actually has little to do with putting a winning team together.  A blind man shooting darts at NBA players names could probably put together a better team than this current "doomed" team.  

Stern is a VERY intelligent business man but it's beyond me that he doesn't realize that putting together horrible teams (even if they are flashy popular players) doesn't help the NBA product -- it hurts it!  In the US as well as the world!