Author Topic: Latest Shaq Rumor  (Read 1676 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Latest Shaq Rumor
« on: June 25, 2004, 05:25:56 PM »
Golden State.

LA wants a big guy, so Dampier is a FA they can do a sign and trade with.  They are willing to take on NVE as only one year left.  This needs to be a 3 team deal to make it all work.
From Sean Devaney in TSN
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Guest_Randy

Latest Shaq Rumor
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 06:13:47 PM »
I think that's a pipe dream -- by somebody anyway, who is guessing a lot -- the Lakers need a big man but trading Shaq and getting Dampier and NVE isn't building the Lakers for the future -- which is the ONLY reason you trade Shaq.  The Lakers need to build for the future so I think trading Shaq is a great idea -- but getting a player to dump off of your roster and get a big man who has disappointed more than he has impressed is making a mistake of Blazer proportions (sorry, ziggy, just had to jab you a little after the poor pick 1st pick by Blazer management).  

I would like to quit hearing about two players mentioned in this trade:  1) Dirk Nowitzki -- the Lakers don't need to become the Mavs.  I like to watch Dirk play but he isn't a center piece to build around -- esp. when you have an owner with tight pockets; 2) Michael Finley -- I REALLY like Finley's game but I don't want Finley -- we already have the best #2 guard in the league, we don't need another shooting guard.

What I would like to hear is this:  Steve Nash (starting PG), Josh Howard (starting SF), Eduardo Najera (PF) and this new center -- throw in Walker or Laettner (both are in the last year of their contracts) just to make salaries work and the Lakers will throw in a player as well -- like Fox, etc.  I would LIKE to see this happen -- Nash, Kobe and Howard in the backcourt is something for the future -- and maybe this russian has some potential -- the Lakers can wait to see.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Latest Shaq Rumor
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 06:26:32 PM »
Golden State.

LA wants a big guy, so Dampier is a FA they can do a sign and trade with.  They are willing to take on NVE as only one year left.  This needs to be a 3 team deal to make it all work.
From Sean Devaney in TSN
A so cal station, whose afternoon session is Krishnas Joe and Joe Jerks 710 am said on (alleged) good source that the Maloofs of Sactown are obsessed with bagging Shaq.  They will give him his ludicrous extension immediately.

Same Krishnas who had Pat Reilly doing dinner with Buss well before most media did.

I think it will be a hoot if Shraq stays and Kobme bolts.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Latest Shaq Rumor
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 06:46:06 PM »
I think that's a pipe dream -- by somebody anyway, who is guessing a lot -- the Lakers need a big man but trading Shaq and getting Dampier and NVE isn't building the Lakers for the future -- which is the ONLY reason you trade Shaq.  The Lakers need to build for the future so I think trading Shaq is a great idea -- but getting a player to dump off of your roster and get a big man who has disappointed more than he has impressed is making a mistake of Blazer proportions (sorry, ziggy, just had to jab you a little after the poor pick 1st pick by Blazer management).  

I would like to quit hearing about two players mentioned in this trade:  1) Dirk Nowitzki -- the Lakers don't need to become the Mavs.  I like to watch Dirk play but he isn't a center piece to build around -- esp. when you have an owner with tight pockets; 2) Michael Finley -- I REALLY like Finley's game but I don't want Finley -- we already have the best #2 guard in the league, we don't need another shooting guard.

What I would like to hear is this:  Steve Nash (starting PG), Josh Howard (starting SF), Eduardo Najera (PF) and this new center -- throw in Walker or Laettner (both are in the last year of their contracts) just to make salaries work and the Lakers will throw in a player as well -- like Fox, etc.  I would LIKE to see this happen -- Nash, Kobe and Howard in the backcourt is something for the future -- and maybe this russian has some potential -- the Lakers can wait to see.
I hear that the reason Phoenix got rid of the #7 pick was they want Steve Nash, and with Dallas selecting Devin Harris, I think that is all but done.

A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Latest Shaq Rumor
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004, 08:57:35 AM »
Golden State.

LA wants a big guy, so Dampier is a FA they can do a sign and trade with.  They are willing to take on NVE as only one year left.  This needs to be a 3 team deal to make it all work.
From Sean Devaney in TSN
A so cal station, whose afternoon session is Krishnas Joe and Joe Jerks 710 am said on (alleged) good source that the Maloofs of Sactown are obsessed with bagging Shaq.  They will give him his ludicrous extension immediately.

Same Krishnas who had Pat Reilly doing dinner with Buss well before most media did.

I think it will be a hoot if Shraq stays and Kobme bolts.
Not from what I've read, Reality. The Maloofs say the price the Lakers want for trading Shaq is too high and would gut the team. That plus the fact that Shaq is on the downside of his career would make this a big mistake for the Kings. Petrie would never agree to a deal that would gut the youth of this team for an aging "superstar". They've already got one aging star too many.

Offline Mr. Meaner

• View Profile
    • Email
Latest Shaq Rumor
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2004, 05:58:58 PM »
Not from what I've read, Reality. The Maloofs say the price the Lakers want for trading Shaq is too high and would gut the team. That plus the fact that Shaq is on the downside of his career would make this a big mistake for the Kings. Petrie would never agree to a deal that would gut the youth of this team for an aging "superstar". They've already got one aging star too many.
As Jerry West stated, you never trade superstars within your own division. If the Lakers do trade Shaq, and that is questionable to begin with, he would most likely go east.

I expect Dallas to make the most Shaq noise in the Western Conference. Cuban is nothing if not a whore to dramatic trades. As for the Maloofs and Shaq, O'Neal has said publically that he likes and admires the King's owners, and the Maloofs have expressed similar sentiments regarding the Laker center, but Geoff Petrie rightly states that the asking price for the aging, injury prone, and perminantly out-of-shape O'Neal just would not be worth what the Lakers have suggested.

Yes, that means that the Lakers and Petrie have talked about the trade possibilities.

And hi everyone. Just got back into the U.S., and believe it or not, I only learned who won the NBA championship about a week ago. Travel is tough.