Author Topic: Deals, deals and more deals  (Read 1297 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Deals, deals and more deals
« on: June 23, 2004, 09:21:34 PM »
Mav Trade Jamison to Wizards for Laettner, Stackhouse and the #5 pick
The Dallas Mavericks, while still hoping to convince the Los Angeles Lakers to send them Shaquille O'Neal, have completed a trade on the eve of the NBA draft that could have additional significance, ESPN.com has learned.

The Mavericks, according to league sources, have acquired the No. 5 overall pick in Thursday's draft from Washington as part of a package that features Antawn Jamison, the newly minted Sixth Man of the Year, as the prize catch for the Wizards.

ESPN's David Aldridge reports that the Wizards also will send Christian Laettner and Jerry Stackhouse to the Mavericks in the deal.

Sources say the Mavericks hope to use the No. 5 pick to sweeten the package they can offer the Lakers in exchange for the disgruntled O'Neal. It is also possible, sources say, that the Mavericks will pursue additional trades that include Laettner and/or Stackhouse.

It is not known when the trade will be announced.

ESPN.com reported late Tuesday that, according to Lakers sources, L.A. refuses to deal O'Neal to their Western Conference rival unless Dallas makes Dirk Nowitzki available. Mavericks sources maintain that Nowitzki remains off-limits, but the prospect of adding the No. 5 pick to a package that could include point guard Steve Nash (via sign-and-trade), Antoine Walker (who has just one year left on his contract) and promising rookie Josh Howard should at least get the Lakers' attention.

If the Lakers do eventually consent to trade O'Neal, in the wake of Shaq's demand for a trade last week, their goal would be injecting their roster with quality youth and depth to surround Kobe Bryant.

If the Mavericks can't swing a subsequent deal for the No. 5 pick, they will undoubtedly weigh the merits of drafting Pavel Podkolzine, the 7-foot-5 center from Russia.

Jamison's appeal to the Wizards is obvious. Instead of gambling on more youth at No. 5 with an inexperienced roster already, Washington gets an established frontcourt scorer who should contend for an All-Star spot in the East after accepting a bench role without complaint in Dallas.

Suns trade #7 pick for a Future #1 and Chicago's #2 this year

The Phoenix Suns have traded away the No. 7 pick in Thursday's draft to the Chicago Bulls, ESPN.com Insider has learned. In the process, the Suns may be out of the running for Tracy McGrady.

The trade, which won't be announced until Thursday, will give the Suns one of the Bulls' second-round picks (No. 31), a future first-rounder and an undisclosed sum of cash in return for the pick.

The move is no surprise on one front -- the Bulls have been looking for a second lottery pick. They have had an infatuation with Oregon's Luke Jackson for some time and sources believe Chicago likely will select Jackson with the No. 7 pick.

For the Suns, the move is more surprising. Earlier on Wednesday, the Suns were dangling the No. 7 pick, along with Shawn Marion, to the Magic in an effort to land McGrady.

However, after the Magic announced that they wouldn't be making a T-Mac trade until after the draft, the Suns grew impatient and agreed to the swap with the Bulls.

While Suns sources wouldn't characterize the talks with the Magic as "dead," they claim that they are no longer in active discussions with the Magic for McGrady.

Why would the Suns give up a high lottery pick for only a future first-rounder? The Suns didn't feel that any player left at No. 7 would help their team immediately. They also wanted the extra cap space. By getting the No. 7 pick off their books, the Suns are suddenly looking at $16.3 million in cap space this summer to make a run at free agents.

The Bulls also included minimum protections on their future first. The pick is protected in the top three in 2005 and as the top pick in 2006.

A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 09:29:48 PM »
First impressions on the Mav/Wiz deal

So Stackhouse and the #5 pick (Laettner was in to match salaries) is worth the 6th man of the year?  Jamison is a fine player, but this shows clearly why the Wiz suck and have always sucked, and will suck for the next decade.  They could have got solid talent for Stackhouse, and kept the 5th pick.
Also this shows why Golden State is a bunch of losers.  They trade Jamison for nothing, and then Dallas trades him for talent and the #5 pick.

The Phoenix deal, if true, shows that they are out of the running for McGrady, and shedded a draft pick that would have sucked up to much cap space, so they can take a run at Kobe.  Why else would you give up the #7 pick for nothing?  They want Kobe, and they think they have a real shot at getting him, and want to clear the cap space necessary to pay him the max, if they can't work out a sign and trade.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 08:46:37 AM »
Here's what i'm starting to think.

Phx wanted pavel (C was probably their biggest need).  That's why Dallas jumped ahead of them (knowing he wouldn't be there after 7), and that's why Phx subsequently traded their pick away immediately.

Which baffles me.  I didn't have Pavel going anywhere before 15 in my mock.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 08:57:49 AM »
Dallas is obviously positioning for another deal.  Stackhouse or Finley will be moved.  They can't be on the floor together (who will guard opposing sf) and neither will be happy off the bench.  And with Marquis Daniels blowing up at the end of last year Dallas was already deep at the 2 spot.  Unfortunately I don't see the Lakers wanting Stack or Finley either as part of a package.  And I don't think Dallas will give up Daniels.

The Suns deal is positioning for the free agent market.  It became obvious that Orlando wasn't going to pull the trigger quickly or that McGrady refused to commit to not opting out once he got to Phoenix.  The Suns are already young and didn't need another rookie....especially with the thin talent in this year's draft.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 09:02:02 AM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 12:55:03 PM »
Dallas is obviously positioning for another deal.  Stackhouse or Finley will be moved.  They can't be on the floor together (who will guard opposing sf) and neither will be happy off the bench.  And with Marquis Daniels blowing up at the end of last year Dallas was already deep at the 2 spot.  Unfortunately I don't see the Lakers wanting Stack or Finley either as part of a package.  And I don't think Dallas will give up Daniels.

The Suns deal is positioning for the free agent market.  It became obvious that Orlando wasn't going to pull the trigger quickly or that McGrady refused to commit to not opting out once he got to Phoenix.  The Suns are already young and didn't need another rookie....especially with the thin talent in this year's draft.
To get Shaq the Mavs would deal Daniels in a heartbeat.  Dallas is going to HAVE to give up a young player to get Shaq.  My concern is that the Lakers might end up with Christian Laettner which makes me nauseous -- I would have prefered Jamison, Najera and Nash with either Howard or Daniels.  The Lakers need a guy who can play in the middle -- and that's not Laettner.