Author Topic: Can Shaq sign for less?  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Can Shaq sign for less?
« on: June 21, 2004, 10:22:31 AM »
In MLB Alex Rodriguez wanted to sign for less then his $252 million contract called for.  ARod wanted to be traded for less.  It was denied.  Any team signing him was ordered by the players union to pay the full amount.

Likewise if Shaq was willing to sign for less (fantacise) in a trade, could he do so?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 10:23:16 AM by Reality »

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Can Shaq sign for less?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 10:29:48 AM »
I don't know what the collective bargaining agreement says, but I suspect that Shaq couldn't "take less" at any point during his current contract.  An extension might call for less money in the future, and perhaps it might be allowed to re-structure the contract, provided that the end result keeps at least the same amount of money on the books, but I have my doubts simply because I can't see the players union going for that.

And if this were tried, I'm almost certain the players union would be up at arms.

Lurker would know better than I.  He's the one I consider the CBA expert.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can Shaq sign for less?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 01:40:07 PM »
Shaq has a signed 2 deal with 2 more years before an opt out.  He cannot renegotiate that deal downward to make it work.  To get Shaq you HAVE to pay him the terms of his existing contract and you have to take back a "nearly" equal amount of salary.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

rickortreat

Can Shaq sign for less?
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 03:06:08 PM »
WHo could afford Shaq that would be willing to pick him up?  Who would be willing to put that out for 2 yrs?  

I bet the Knicks would love to work something out with LA.  Maybe Philly could trade AI to get Shaq- then I would have to learn to hate the Sixers for winning.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can Shaq sign for less?
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 03:21:49 PM »
WHo could afford Shaq that would be willing to pick him up?  Who would be willing to put that out for 2 yrs?  

I bet the Knicks would love to work something out with LA.  Maybe Philly could trade AI to get Shaq- then I would have to learn to hate the Sixers for winning.
No way the Lakers take AI.  No way he would fit with Kobe, and LA isn't going to take on his contract.  LA would have more interest in lower contracts that expire sooner.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

rickortreat

Can Shaq sign for less?
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 03:50:59 PM »
No he, wouldn't work out well in the same backcourt with Kobe, but I doubt Kobe is going to be in LA.