Author Topic: Playoff basketball rougher this year?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Playoff basketball rougher this year?
« on: May 24, 2004, 11:09:02 AM »
Is it just me or are the refs letting alot more rough stuff slip under the radar this year?  Seems to me that alot of contact and hits are not getting called this year as in years past.

Both conference finals are getting close to blows.  Artest just flat out abused and bullied Prince in game 1.  I haven't seen such man handling of a younger person since the glory days off the Catholic church.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 11:40:42 AM »
I agree.  The NBA seems to have taken a "let the players decide the outcome" approach this year to another level.  Only the most obvious fouls that impede a shot or a player's ability to get a shot off seem to get called.  And the amount of physical play allowed seems to be increasing with each round.  Although I must admit that the reffing or lack thereof has been even among all teams (except for the Lakers/Spurs series, of course  :bash:  ).

I don't ever recall a playoffs with this much overall physical play.  Even the Detroit bad boys or the old Lakers/Celtics rivalries weren't this physical from tip off to final whistle.  They may have had harder hits but not the constant grabbing, elbows and bumps.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 11:42:30 AM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

jn

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 12:25:05 PM »
I disagree.  Think back to how much Starks and Harper got away with for the Knicks.  Think of how much Rick Fox has bodied Wally and Peja the last couple years, and with the Daddy being less explosive this year he is giving and receiving less punishment than usual.      

rickortreat

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 05:17:20 PM »
Seems pretty bad this year, this is what happens in a talent-weak league.  You can't play defense the right way, you clutch and grab.  So many rules were changed to give the offense a chance.  Too bad most of today's players can't SHOOT!  :nod:  

Guest-koast

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 07:05:06 PM »
Seems pretty bad this year, this is what happens in a talent-weak league.  You can't play defense the right way, you clutch and grab.  So many rules were changed to give the offense a chance.  Too bad most of today's players can't SHOOT!  :nod:
Dont forget that the hand check is now considered a hold/grab....alot of the vets still are handchecking players on the perimeter.

rickortreat

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 08:35:34 PM »
I just saw that in the Indiana game.  Someone was guarding Reggie and was pushing him in the back.  I thought hand-checking went out along with Derrick Harper.  Guess the ref didn't have the heart to call it after Reggie spun away and swished the shot.