Author Topic: OT: Ted, I thought you were an old goat  (Read 2605 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
OT: Ted, I thought you were an old goat
« on: May 11, 2004, 12:36:19 PM »
Noticed you are browsing.

I got the impression you where older than me.  Didn't realize you are four years younger.  You'll probably age much faster now that you have a kid.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 12:42:06 PM »
True that.

The hairline is retreating and gut line is advancing . . . dammit.

I just hit 225 last week and decided drastic measures were necessary. Of course, I'm not desperate enough to start juicing quite yet.  ;)  
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 12:58:16 PM »
True that.

The hairline is retreating and gut line is advancing . . . dammit.

I just hit 225 last week and decided drastic measures were necessary. Of course, I'm not desperate enough to start juicing quite yet.  ;)
What do you plan on doing?

I wish I was 225.

My knee is starting to get back to normal but I was told that if I try playing basketball at this weight, 255, I will only damage it again.  I could, and used to, play basketball 4+ hours every day and stay in shape that way but I'm in a catch22.  I need to lose weight before I can start exercising.  I'm thinking about some of the diet plans like trimspa or something.  If it can make a fat stupid pig like Ana Nicole Smith look good, maybe it could make a fat smart pig look good.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 01:06:01 PM »
Actually, I'm trying the South Beach Diet, sort of. I got a review copy of the book at my job, so I looked into it.

It seems to be a fairly reasonable approach. Eat healthy amounts of good fats and good carbs, treat bad fats and bad carbs as once-or twice-a-week treats.

It seems to be working, and it's not too bad to follow. I've lost about five pounds in eight days, without being too hungry. I've also been doing the elliptical thingy at the gym four or five times a week. It seems to be easier on the knees.

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 01:28:13 PM »
Sounds like my regimen...almost....Ted.  Wife & I are doing the South Beach deal and I lost 14 lbs in the first two weeks strictly following their meal plan.  We have "loosened" up a little bit now but I am still dropping a lb or two a week.  I also work on the elliptical machine a couple times a week which is great for my achy knees.  Also do Yoga twice a week.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 01:40:55 PM »
WOW, if you plan on losing weight in a gym, I would suggest using a cross trainer coupled with a diet plan. Cross trainers are not impact intensive machines but rather rotational in nature and provide a fairly full body workout, cardio, upper and lower body and depending on the settings you choose (I alternate) will use both fast and slow twitch muscles. Additionally, if you have the stamina, if you set the intensity level at around 15 (they usually go 1-20), set it for hills, or hills+, and hold an rpm of around 65-75, you are burning in the neighborhood of 1,100 to 1,300 calories an hour, and I would do it for at least 20 minutes 3-4 times a week to start. Under 20 minutes and you never really hit your right cardio intensity, the benefits really start to come after about 20 minutes and if you can survive it at that level, you should hit a second wind and be able to get 30-45 minute out of it. I usually do an hour to an hour and a half. Be sure to check with a doctor before you start though. And don't eat for at least an hour after your workout, you peak calorie burn comes from recovery within the first 1-2 hours, not the actual workout, it also is the peak timeframe for metobolic readjustment, which if you develop properly, has your metabolism working increasing its fat burning potential even on non-workout days, provided you still watch your caloric intake and focus on varying your carb and protein intake (carbs fuel, proteins build), so eat carbs 4-5 hours before your workout or the night before if you workout early in the morning (not good if you have high blood pressure) and eat proteins to rebuild after a workout.

My right knee has been just about completely replaced with artificial parts except for the actual joints themselves so running and high impact sports like basketball for any length of time are over for me, but with my biking, the crosstrainer is perfect in that it fairly mimics pedal strokes without applying undue pressure to my knee.

On the diet front, whatever is sound and works for you is what I would do, but stay away from the low-carb nonsense, it is hype and not conducive to fitness, it is a cheap quick way to lose a few pounds at the expense of cardiovascular fitness. The body is designed to live on COMPLEX carbs and use them efficiently as its primary source of fuel, don't ignore the natural use of them because of some fad. Just avoid the simple sugar carbs, workout, and you WILL lose weight, it is a mathematical certainty
Dan

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 01:53:34 PM »
WOW, if you plan on losing weight in a gym, I would suggest using a cross trainer coupled with a diet plan. Cross trainers are not impact intensive machines but rather rotational in nature and provide a fairly full body workout, cardio, upper and lower body and depending on the settings you choose (I alternate) will use both fast and slow twitch muscles. Additionally, if you have the stamina, if you set the intensity level at around 15 (they usually go 1-20), set it for hills, or hills+, and hold an rpm of around 65-75, you are burning in the neighborhood of 1,100 to 1,300 calories an hour, and I would do it for at least 20 minutes 3-4 times a week to start. Under 20 minutes and you never really hit your right cardio intensity, the benefits really start to come after about 20 minutes and if you can survive it at that level, you should hit a second wind and be able to get 30-45 minute out of it. I usually do an hour to an hour and a half. Be sure to check with a doctor before you start though. And don't eat for at least an hour after your workout, you peak calorie burn comes from recovery within the first 1-2 hours, not the actual workout, it also is the peak timeframe for metobolic readjustment, which if you develop properly, has your metabolism working increasing its fat burning potential even on non-workout days, provided you still watch your caloric intake and focus on varying your carb and protein intake (carbs fuel, proteins build), so eat carbs 4-5 hours before your workout or the night before if you workout early in the morning (not good if you have high blood pressure) and eat proteins to rebuild after a workout.

My right knee has been just about completely replaced with artificial parts except for the actual joints themselves so running and high impact sports like basketball for any length of time are over for me, but with my biking, the crosstrainer is perfect in that it fairly mimics pedal strokes without applying undue pressure to my knee.

On the diet front, whatever is sound and works for you is what I would do, but stay away from the low-carb nonsense, it is hype and not conducive to fitness, it is a cheap quick way to lose a few pounds at the expense of cardiovascular fitness. The body is designed to live on COMPLEX carbs and use them efficiently as its primary source of fuel, don't ignore the natural use of them because of some fad. Just avoid the simple sugar carbs, workout, and you WILL lose weight, it is a mathematical certainty
Dan's right. Your body needs the fiber from complex carbs, and you really can't get it from anywhere else.

I'm not following South Beach to the letter. Basically I'm cutting down on white bread, white rice, potatoes, sugar. In fact, white bread and white rice are completely gone, and potatoes and sugar are now treats, rather than staples. Lots and lots of vegetables, and a couple of servings of fruit.

Did you know that a potato causes your blood sugar to rise higher and faster than an equal amount of table sugar?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 02:15:28 PM »
Well, I can't goto a gym.  For exercise I have about 1 to 1 and a half hours in the evening to work out at home.  I've got a treadmill that I used to use intil my knee started hurting alot.  The pain was comming from playing b-ball so I may be able to start using the treadmill again with no pain.

Food intake is a bitch.  I work all over the place so a steady diet, at least for lunch, is hard to plan.

What do you guys suggest for b-fast for energy and to keep from feeling hungry?

What about dinner?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 03:13:06 PM »
Basically the diet calls for a lot of eggs or egg substitues for breakfast.  Along with a can of tomato/V8 juice.  A piece of whole wheat or multigrain toast can be added.  The other breakfast that is tasty is a berry smoothie.  8 oz of low fat, low sugar yogurt, 1/2 cup fresh berries and crushed ice.  Blend.

Lunch is almost always a salad with meat (chicken breast, beef pattie, sliced ham/turkey).  Most fast food restaurants serve something that will suffice....just toss out any bread, crackers or croutons.

The big thing on South Beach is to eliminate processed grains.  Whole grain cereals, multigrain or whole grain breads, brown or wild rice, couscous.....these are the type of grains allowed but only in moderation.  Usually 1 or 2 servings a day with meals.  The diet is high in vegetables except those considered "sweet".....carrots, potatoes, beets, etc.

Send me a fax number & I will send you a couple pages tomorrow that have foods acceptable & some sample menus.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2004, 03:47:27 PM »
Guess my weight problems (RE: trying to gain weight) aren't all that bad ;)

god it's nice being young.

jn

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2004, 04:03:56 PM »
Anyone else from a northern climate have the huge variation in cravings based on the seasons?  Right now as it warms up I'm feeling fine with healthier foods like fruit and veggies, lean meats and less of it.  However when November roles around my body starts screaming for huge bowls of pasta followed by a piece of cake.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2004, 04:12:49 PM »
Food intake is a bitch.  I work all over the place so a steady diet, at least for lunch, is hard to plan.

What do you guys suggest for b-fast for energy and to keep from feeling hungry?

On the run stuff:  Can you hit a Souplantion aka SweetTomatoes?

Or carry fruits, almonds, raisins.  It can be a minor pain but if you have a little cooler that opens up yougurt.  All stuff that can keep you satisfied and also keep you from caving into the the In n Outs and Fatburgers of the world on a daily basis.

Pre-Breakfast:
Robl and I are telling ya, there is nothing like wheatgrass for 1st thing in the a.m.   Great pick me upper, gives you an hour or so of very stable blood sugar so your next choice (breakfast, whatever that may be) is not done out of desperation.  Superb antinflammitory.  While i know you Lakers like to Flame, i know your sore knees and joints don't.  Cut the white root parts just above the seed, this is the sweetest and most  nutritious part.  Mrs WOW will be singing and humming in no time.

If your answer is yes to w.g. you need to alternately for 30-60 seconds swish it and "chew" it Popeye style.  This mixes it thouroughly with saliva.  Most GastroIntestinal surgeons and Drs will tell you 80% of digestion should be done before food and drink drops below the neckline.

Your hoop buddies will be impressed.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 04:15:30 PM by Reality »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2004, 04:14:23 PM »
Anyone else from a northern climate have the huge variation in cravings based on the seasons?  Right now as it warms up I'm feeling fine with healthier foods like fruit and veggies, lean meats and less of it.  However when November roles around my body starts screaming for huge bowls of pasta followed by a piece of cake.
I don't live up north no more....thank God.  But I do remember feeling that nothing warmed the body (& soul) better than a big bowl of homemade stew with fresh bread for dippin'.  Cold weather foods always were heavy in pastas or served with plenty of bread.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2004, 04:57:26 PM »
Also do Yoga twice a week.
I just started dabbling in Pilates with Yoga combo, aka Yogalates*.
Will have to compare notes after a month or so.

Guess quite a few pro athelets are doing this now, as its been known for years that a bunch of cardio and iron pumping with the usual stretch programs is not enough.  Most of the "regular" stretch/warmup programs are now believed to be way substandard, many a pro is being tested and failing big time for lower body flexibility.

*Not to be confused with some West Hollywood drink that Laker Fans wake up to.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 05:00:02 PM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2004, 04:57:32 PM »
Send me a fax number & I will send you a couple pages tomorrow that have foods acceptable & some sample menus.
Sent you an email via this board's software.  Let me know if you don't get it.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"