Author Topic: all i all, how do you rate the LA vs SA series  (Read 1746 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
all i all, how do you rate the LA vs SA series
« on: May 10, 2004, 03:59:25 PM »
I have to say this is the most competive series between these two since the title started to switch between us....I would think the 1999 Spurs played harder and hungrier, but this years SPur team play smarter and more consistent (with the exception of last night of course)  

The action has been great, the players involved will make this one for the ages if it goes seven games, both teams HAVE to come out of this winners no matter who wins or loses, this is real NBA excitement...

man game two, the third quarter lead me to drink and light up some smokes, game three i didnt feel as nervous because I had a feeling we would finally lose but still I am getting pumped up for tomorrows game in LA.

how do you guys rate this years series??
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 04:05:27 PM »
It's not as exciting as the Wolves/Lakers series last year and not even close to the Lakers/Kings series of 2002.

If the Lakers can pull out game 4 then we may be seeing a classic series but so far after 3 it's behind the other two series IMO.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 04:35:15 PM »
It's not as exciting as the Wolves/Lakers series last year and not even close to the Lakers/Kings series of 2002.

If the Lakers can pull out game 4 then we may be seeing a classic series but so far after 3 it's behind the other two series IMO.
Wow, WOW, you sure know how to kill a buzz.......... <_<  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 04:40:37 PM »
So far, I'm disappointed, I am not making excuses, but LA's injury plagued and dysfunctional regular season has led to a wildly schizophrenic team taking the hardwood in the postseason, not at all what I expected back in October and while I give full props to the Spurs for their first rate defensive effort in games 1 and 2, I can't help but think things might have been different had the 4 superstars not missed a combined 70+ games this year.

Still, if you like nailbiters, if LA wins tomorrow, it should sow some seeds of concern in the Spurs and change the pundits views and inspire some confidence in our ersatz boys from the cosmic center. If they deliver a performance like they did Sunday, those seeds of concern should become seeds of doubt for the Spurs and all of a sudden I think LA is in the drivers seat, regardless of the Spur homecourt advantage.

If the Spurs bounce back and win Tuesday, regardless of whether it is a blowout or a squeaker, LA is done, there will be blood in the water and not even the lackluster and boring Spurs (sorry boys, it's true, and you know it) will not take advantage of the feeding frenzy.

San Antonio had a very solid defensive plan in 1 and 2, and fronting Shaq sure caught him off guard, but the key to those victories was not that, it was the press, and forcing LA into stupid turnovers, and especially in game 2, changing LA's game from inside out into a perimeter nightmare, Shaq was having a moster game and if San Antonio didn't break that rhythm, LA would have pulled it out, as it was, they made the defensive adjustments needed and shut down the inside game, victory Spurs. I doubt there is a team that makes better defensive adjustment than the Spurs and that doesn't bode well for LA. I can only hope LA tweaks their own game and focuses on the one thing they should be able to do well against them, shut down the lane and take away the paint and make them beat LA from the outside, if the Lakers rotate and force the pick to the high left side like they did Sunday, it could make the difference, Parker clearly didn't seem to like operating out of the deep frontcourt on picks but LA took away his lanes and forced the trap pretty well. LA rotated out of double teams better Sunday than I think they did all year, San Antonio had precious few wide open looks like they did in 1 and 2, and I suspect a few of those clankers were because they were getting nervous that LA was rotating quickly to the ball and they rushed their shots.

San Antonio's offense is still their liability, 34.1 % Sunday is glaring evidence of it, they ranked 19th during the season and never really demostrated a capability to rise above that except (go figure) when Duncan was out and the offense became more creative. LA finished the season #3 offensively and despite your ridicule of them X3, #16 defensively. What was bad about that number, indeed, infuriating for Laker fans, is they had the potential, had they played the whole season together, to be easily in the top 5 in that category given the addition of 2 very good defenders in Malone and Payton to compliment Kobe's defensive skills and Shaq's presence in the post, I take it back, they should have been top 3 defensively. LA shows some flashes of their defensive potential here and there, and Sunday lived up to it for a full 48 minutes, not sure they can sustain that energy all series long, but they will need to at least Tuesday, that way maybe they can get in the Spurs heads with a blowout and man, will the dynamics change.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 04:46:15 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 06:18:54 PM »
Naw,

Spurs didnt play that well and still won game 1.
Lakers did not play well in game 1.

Game 2 the 1st half was superb for the Spurs, but again it was the Flamers not playing all that well in the 1st half and then the Spurs sucking in the 3rd qtr.

Game 3 LA played great in 1st qtr especially and continued on while Spurs sucked mostly the whole game.

So no i have yet to see a game where both teams played well.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 09:49:19 AM »
Naw,

Game 2 the 1st half was superb for the Spurs, but again it was the Flamers not playing all that well in the 1st half and then the Spurs sucking in the 3rd qtr.

Game 3 LA played great in 1st qtr especially and continued on while Spurs sucked mostly the whole game.

Good point.  While the games both have been close and fun to watch......at the same time it hasnt been a battle back and forth for a full 48 minutes.  Although youd have to expect that from these two teams......whenever the other team forces the other into their style of game then it looks completly one sided (ie. Spurs 4th quarter lock up of the Lakers/Lakers 2nd half in game 3)  They both are just those kinds of teams.  When they get to do them and play their brand of ball.....no one can keep up with either of them IMO.  Not even each other lol.  Like I said yesterday....Spurs have forced the Lakers into their style of play for 2 games and came up with a W in both games.  Same with game 3 for the Lakers.

I can't say that on both sides of the floor either team has been real great but on the defensive end id have to say this is one of the better series over the past few years.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 09:51:21 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 10:26:00 AM »
Naw,

Duh, of course the Lakers didn't play well in games 1 and 2 (or half of 2 anyway) and the Spurs didn't play well in game 3 -- it was ALL about what the winning team did defensively.  This series has been a chess match to date and while it hasn't produced the type of exciting close games that we are seeing with the TWolves and Kings, watching the moves by coaches has been brilliant and DEFINATELY worth watching.  I am SO looking forward to tonights game.