Author Topic: Will the NBA expand to Europe?  (Read 3377 times)

Offline Scout200

• View Profile
    • Email
Will the NBA expand to Europe?
« on: January 06, 2011, 03:27:06 PM »
There's been a lot of talk about the NBA expanding to Europe... Do you think the NBA will give up home games in order to reach out to a larger base? How do you think this will impact the NBA?
Feel the rush...

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Unlikely anytime soon
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 12:13:02 AM »
I can envision a Roundball World Cup at some point similar to the existing (and wildly popular amongst futbol fanatics) World Cup setup, but the travel considerations alone would seem to pose difficult problems to surmount (to say the least) for potential international NBA franchises. And with the NBA already confronted by the dreaded r~word (retraction), Additionally, the current worldwide economic malaise precludes any kind of expansion of this nature, IMO.

Shaq #1 
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Unlikely anytime soon
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 09:55:47 AM »
I can envision a Roundball World Cup at some point similar to the existing (and wildly popular amongst futbol fanatics) World Cup setup, but the travel considerations alone would seem to pose difficult problems to surmount (to say the least) for potential international NBA franchises. And with the NBA already confronted by the dreaded r~word (retraction), Additionally, the current worldwide economic malaise precludes any kind of expansion of this nature, IMO.

Shaq #1 

I don't think it would be a good idea because I can imagine players refusing to play in Europe/Asia/etc.. much like they refuse to play for the Clipppers. Way too much travel and if the major talent stays home then you will have an NBA vs D-League type of atmosphere. IMO it would not work.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: Will the NBA expand to Europe?
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 05:43:03 PM »
My big thought of complexity would be the travel, but after reading Rolando and WayOut, I'm in agreement with their points as well.  I don't think it will work.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Will the NBA expand to Europe?
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 12:37:46 AM »
So how about if the Clippers were to become that Euro team?

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
An interesting thought
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 01:06:32 PM »
Hey Reality!

When I first read your proposal, I will have to say that initially it was an LOL moment...but upon reflection, that may not be a bad idea.  How the influx of the best of the world's roundball talent would be properly dispersed among the lesser preforming teams would be a major snag, but it would certainly  beef up the talent levels of those teams' squads, increasing competitiveness and thereby fan interest in the league. Hmmm...

Shaq #1
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline Scout200

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: An interesting thought
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 05:22:40 PM »
Hey Reality!

When I first read your proposal, I will have to say that initially it was an LOL moment...but upon reflection, that may not be a bad idea.  How the influx of the best of the world's roundball talent would be properly dispersed among the lesser preforming teams would be a major snag, but it would certainly  beef up the talent levels of those teams' squads, increasing competitiveness and thereby fan interest in the league. Hmmm...

Shaq #1

Good point! I'm split on the idea...

Travel would be awful but expanding the NBA into Europe makes sense considering the amount of talent that is continually being produced. Names like Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol and Tony Parker, all of whom are from Europe, are now NBA superstars.
Feel the rush...

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: An interesting thought
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 04:04:05 PM »
Hey Reality!

Shaq #1

Good point! I'm split on the idea...

Travel would be awful but expanding the NBA into Europe makes sense considering the amount of talent that is continually being produced. Names like Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol and Tony Parker, all of whom are from Europe, are now NBA superstars.

Yet doesn't that almost invalidate the idea?  After all, we've sent BACK several players who, for one reason or another, couldn't make the cut in the NBA.  In fact, as defined by the GM's, the best two players Europe has who aren't in the NBA are Ricky Rubio, and former Memphis Grizzly Juan Carlos Navarro.  This was the result of the NBA GM poll of the upcoming season (or perhaps, the past).  Navarro bolted from the NBA several years back, and while he had a few supporters (me among them) who insisted he wasn't being given the chance to do what he could, he was, by and large, just another mediocre guard at the NBA level.  And Rubio will come, but on his terms, not those of Minnesota.  (See, the Euro-guys have learned from our pampered superstars!)

In other words, we're ALREADY getting the *BEST* talent.  Expansion makes sense if we're LOSING that talent to overseas.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!