Author Topic: Most Underrated/Overrated Players in the NBA?  (Read 4510 times)

Offline Scout200

• View Profile
    • Email
Most Underrated/Overrated Players in the NBA?
« on: October 12, 2010, 03:11:21 PM »
Out of all the players in the NBA, who is the most overrated and underrated and why?

-Scout
Feel the rush...

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Most Underrated/Overrated Players in the NBA?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 04:28:22 PM »
Most overrated right now?  Kevin Durant.  I think he is a great player and he is def an emerging star but the hype after the World Games (when no other big name was there) and the fact ESPN has put him in a dead heat MVP race with Lebron James even though the season hasn't even started has me put him here.  Not really his fault but hay, he is being overrated right now in my book.

Most underrated?  Tim Duncan.  Even till this day I don't think people quite give him his due because of his quiet personality.  The guy puts up 30 10 and people just sort of shrug.  Say if Greg Oden did that, people would be buzzing about it.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 04:49:41 PM »
Most underrated:  Tayshaun Prince.  Solid offensively, extremely good defensively, and in my book, the smartest basketball player in the league.  He has a better sense of game-flow than most players, and plays within that to his advantage.

Most overrated:  I have to go with Amare Stoudemire.  One of the worst minds in the game, along with an ego that doesn't stop.  Horrible defender.  And they'll be calling this guy an All-Star.  But man, so many people come to mind on this question:  Paul Pierce, Mike Bibby, Ben Gordon, Jamal Crawford, J.R. Smith....even to some extent, most of the players we'd call "stars."
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 08:33:36 PM »
Yeah its me, don't act so surprised.  Chunks of time start disappearing when a small child comes into play. 

Most-Overrated -- LeBron James --
Here me out!  As talents go, he is one of the best to ever play the game.  As all-around contribution:statistically, PER, whatever---up there with the greats.  But practically every other intangible and some tangible is completely void with LeBron.  Heart, Competitiveness, Clutch, Leadership, etc. --- just not there!  And you just gotta have something other than a really good statline to be on the pedestal most have him on.

Most-Underrated -- David Lee --
He has been on, what, *one* all-star team, maybe.  Did he even make the All-NBA 3rd team last year?  Buried on the bench with Isiah (and still putting up double-double nights).  Rock solid defense (although he doesn't block shots), automatic from the field (out to 17 feet), a rebound machine, and one of the smartest players in the game --> in my estimation with the Manu's, Billups', Kobe's, and Tayshaun's of the world as far as Basketball IQ.  What's crazy is that he was by far and away the best player on New York's roster the last 3 years and the big city New York media still managed to keep this guy underrated.     

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 10:15:02 PM »
Yeah its me, don't act so surprised.  Chunks of time start disappearing when a small child comes into play. 

Based on your following post, I think chunks of your brain have disappeared as well.

Most-Overrated -- LeBron James --
Here me out!  As talents go, he is one of the best to ever play the game.  As all-around contribution:statistically, PER, whatever---up there with the greats.  But practically every other intangible and some tangible is completely void with LeBron.  Heart, Competitiveness, Clutch, Leadership, etc. --- just not there!  And you just gotta have something other than a really good statline to be on the pedestal most have him on.

Most-Underrated -- David Lee --
He has been on, what, *one* all-star team, maybe.  Did he even make the All-NBA 3rd team last year?  Buried on the bench with Isiah (and still putting up double-double nights).  Rock solid defense (although he doesn't block shots), automatic from the field (out to 17 feet), a rebound machine, and one of the smartest players in the game --> in my estimation with the Manu's, Billups', Kobe's, and Tayshaun's of the world as far as Basketball IQ.  What's crazy is that he was by far and away the best player on New York's roster the last 3 years and the big city New York media still managed to keep this guy underrated.     

LeBron the most overrated?  I don't think so.  I know LeBron is overrated but he's not the MOST overrated.  I think by now most people understand why LeBron is not as good as Kobe, the intangibles.  A lot of us have known it for a while and it was PROVEN durring the Olympics, but just because LeBron is the 2nd best player in the league does not mean he's the MOST overrated.  Overrated yes, but not the most.  The MOST is more suited to guys like Amare, Carmelo, Durant, Joe Johnson, Rondo, and Iverson.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 11:38:04 AM »
Based on your following post, I think chunks of your brain have disappeared as well.

I missed you too, Miggy.

The MOST is more suited to guys like Amare, Carmelo, Durant, Joe Johnson, Rondo, and Iverson.

Carmelo, Amare, Joe Johnson (really good pick BTW) . . . definitely good candidates for most overrated. 
Iverson, not anymore, everyone knows he sucks, now.  Nobody is rating him, much less overrating him . . . unless you are in Turkey.

Durant and Rondo I gotta disagree with completely.  They're young players with some more maturing to do, for sure, but expectations for those two are about where they should be.  Young players who have sustained great play for more than just mere intervals.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 12:48:18 PM »

I missed you too, Miggy.

The MOST is more suited to guys like Amare, Carmelo, Durant, Joe Johnson, Rondo, and Iverson.

Carmelo, Amare, Joe Johnson (really good pick BTW) . . . definitely good candidates for most overrated. 
Iverson, not anymore, everyone knows he sucks, now.  Nobody is rating him, much less overrating him . . . unless you are in Turkey.

Durant and Rondo I gotta disagree with completely.  They're young players with some more maturing to do, for sure, but expectations for those two are about where they should be.  Young players who have sustained great play for more than just mere intervals.

You think ESPN should be running pieces on the Lebron/Durant MVP race in late Sept/early Oct?

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 04:21:36 PM »
You think ESPN should be running pieces on the Lebron/Durant MVP race in late Sept/early Oct?

Would I be doing it?  Probably not.  Is the idea outlandishly out of the question?  Probably not.

Oklahoma has a nucleus of 3 great young players surrounded by a nice blend of young/veteran role players.  They were hanging with a stacked Lakers team last year in the playoffs. 

Put it this way, if Oklahoma exceeds expectations (say finish Top 4 in the West) with Durant nabbing the scoring title and All-Star berth.  Meanwhile, Miami DOESN'T win 80 games while LeBron's gawdy stats get shuffled amongst D. Wade and Bosh.  I could see a few votes swinging the other direction, sure?

I still think Kobe is in the equation, and Gasol should be in the equation if there is any justice whatsoever.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 05:58:07 PM »

Would I be doing it?  Probably not.  Is the idea outlandishly out of the question?  Probably not.

Oklahoma has a nucleus of 3 great young players surrounded by a nice blend of young/veteran role players.  They were hanging with a stacked Lakers team last year in the playoffs. 

Put it this way, if Oklahoma exceeds expectations (say finish Top 4 in the West) with Durant nabbing the scoring title and All-Star berth.  Meanwhile, Miami DOESN'T win 80 games while LeBron's gawdy stats get shuffled amongst D. Wade and Bosh.  I could see a few votes swinging the other direction, sure?

I still think Kobe is in the equation, and Gasol should be in the equation if there is any justice whatsoever.

It is not that I think it is a stretch for him to be in the running come later in the year.  I think he is a very talented player.  I just don't think his skills are so great that he is leap frogging everyone not named Lebron in SEPTEMBER!  Sure the Thunder did well last year and challenged the Lakers but they never made it out the first round and are one injury to a key player from not even making the playoffs at all.  I guess the point being is that this team needs to show they can repeat their effort from last year before ESPN shoots down 5-6 other players who are in prime spots to do just as well or better.   And let's be honest, he is not a GREAT passer and his defense leaves much to be desired.  I don't think his game or his track record shoots him that high automatically.  Lebron?  No doubt.  I think his track record and what he has done in the last 5 years says that yes, Lebron is always one of the most valuable players year in and year out.

I think Lebron, Durant, Kobe, Chris Paul, Kevin Garnett, Pau Gasol, Derrick Rose,  Wade, and Deron Williams all should be in the running at this point.  Making it a two pony race before the season started seems like over hyping to me.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 06:03:31 PM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 09:36:14 AM »
:D

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 12:52:02 PM »
It is not that I think it is a stretch for him to be in the running come later in the year.  I think he is a very talented player.  I just don't think his skills are so great that he is leap frogging everyone not named Lebron in SEPTEMBER!  Sure the Thunder did well last year and challenged the Lakers but they never made it out the first round and are one injury to a key player from not even making the playoffs at all.  I guess the point being is that this team needs to show they can repeat their effort from last year before ESPN shoots down 5-6 other players who are in prime spots to do just as well or better.   And let's be honest, he is not a GREAT passer and his defense leaves much to be desired.  I don't think his game or his track record shoots him that high automatically.  Lebron?  No doubt.  I think his track record and what he has done in the last 5 years says that yes, Lebron is always one of the most valuable players year in and year out.

I think Lebron, Durant, Kobe, Chris Paul, Kevin Garnett, Pau Gasol, Derrick Rose,  Wade, and Deron Williams all should be in the running at this point.  Making it a two pony race before the season started seems like over hyping to me.

I just don't think his skills are so great that he is leap frogging everyone not named Lebron in SEPTEMBER!

Exactly.  Wade, Deron, CP3, Dirk, TD, Nash, and Dwight all deserve as much, if not more, consideration for MVP over Durant.  IMO all MVP races should start with Kobe, LeBron, TD, Wade, and Dwight pre-season.  IMO Durant should not be in the conversation because all he does is score, if that's all you need to be considered an MVP then Melo should be in the conversation as well.

IMO LeBron is going to have a tougher time than Kobe for MVP consideration.  LeBron is now playing with another MVP candidate on his team so it's going to be tough.  I think LeBron had every right to improve his chances for a title but IMO his move to Miami was too much, he should not be an MVP candidate with the current team he is on.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 10:14:42 AM »
I think by now most people understand why LeBron is not as good as Kobe, the intangibles.  A lot of us have known it for a while and it was PROVEN durring the Olympics,