Author Topic: How good/or not are the Spurs?  (Read 3105 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
How good/or not are the Spurs?
« on: January 04, 2011, 02:22:18 PM »
They beat
Dallas without Dirk in a very close game (lost to them earlier w Dirk)
Denver without Marshmellow (barely beat them earlier w Marshmellow 113-112 the SuperGNob ending)
Lakers without their corrupt Laker Refs including a stunning offensive charge called correctly on DSwisher and Kobme being correctly called under the boards for a pouty pushoff as George Hill manhandled him for a rebound.

Will play
Boston without KG.

And we've seen other great starts flame out recently ie Clevelands 26-4 in 2009.

That having been said, it's 29-4 and counting.
The distribution of minutes has been very good by Popovich.
Timmy Dunks is thriving with his role and also by finally having another set of nutts in the paint, specifically Dejuan SuperBlair as a starter.  When Blair is matched up against a good perimeter opponent, he's outmatched and so Poppycock has correctly pulled him.  Bonner still gets too many minutes and Splitter not enough but even Bonbon has been asserting himself for rebounds.  Astounding! McDysse being used judiciously and also thriving.  Dick Jefferson a complete turnaround if he can only keep it up.
Parker has had his moments but when he has been on he has been 2007 Finals MVP on.  GNob is once again playing near the top of the leagues SG/SFs.

Rookie Gary Neal has been fantastic, another Spurs steal and just reupped for two additional years.  Have you seen him play?  Best showcase was vs Dallas last week.  21 pts in 22 minutes.

So where do the Spurs fall as to being a 2011 Champion favorite?

Still lots of ball to be played and never rule out Laker corruption come playoff time.
I'll put the Spurs as favorites but only 6 to 5.
You?

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: How good/or not are the Spurs?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 05:25:32 PM »
The Lakers are the favorite.  The fact is that they've still got the loaded roster, mostly intact from previous finals runs, with the same coach, and the same system.

I'd call the Celtics the "second favorite."

It's going to boil down to health when playoffs come around.  Dallas has already lost Butler for the year.  Losses of Nowitzki and Garnett are hurting Dallas and Boston.

But San Antonio - along with Orlando, Miami, and Dallas - are in the thick of the mix.

But a bad feeling tells me we're in for Lakers/Celtics AGAIN.

My darkhorse was Orlando, but then they made that trade, which I'm not all that sure about.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 04:34:33 PM »
^^Not as bullish as you are on the Celts.  Not as bearish as you are on the Heat.

The Heat somewhat understandibly had growing pains.  They've now rattled off about 14 of 15, albeit most all of those against non contenders.
Mike Miller is back.  Haslem due back perhaps before playoffs but targeted for by the playoffs.  Now they are even with the Celtics.

Celtics, in spite of the *Kobee/Laker* reffing still showed a propensity to choke big time.  Ray Allen completely choked vs Derrick Swisher guarding him.  Who??? Swisher?  Please.

The Magic will continue to have Stan Van Grunty so i just can't see them Champing but who knows......

So yes Joe i hope it isn't *prearranged* that the Celts and Lakers meet again.  But i predict the Heat will not only catch but surpass Boston.  As to not having a big, well lets see what happens before the trade deadline.  Also i look for Snaq to join KG on his annual IR list.  Will he even be there for the playoffs?  Will KG recover?  Bostons advantage with bigs is tenuous.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 01:40:08 AM »
36-6 is now something like the 4th best start ever.
Yet we only need to go back to 2005-6 Pistons to see their 36-5 go down in the ECFs to Miami 4-2 after just squeaking by The LeBrons in round 2 seven games.

Spurs still catching top teams with their best player out.
Dirk again this past week.
And the schedule is gonna increase now.

Still, i'm loving it.  ;)

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lakers = ZR1 'Vette, Spurs = Toyota Camry
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 05:41:34 PM »
Hey, y'all! 

The Spurs, ever since the bygone days when they played at the HemisFair and 'The Iceman' roamed the hardwood, have eschewed bringing any semblance of bling or flash to their game (with the possible exception of TP). While I won't quite say 'boring', the Spurs bring their workmanlike attitude, efficiency, and effort to every game.  Unlike some, I do not attribute these attributes to the coaching of Pop - rather, they stem from the steady presence and production of the 'Big Fundamental', Tim Duncan. TD hit the ground running and has been a star performer and de facto team leader since his arrival in SA. He is always bandied about by pundits as the GOAT of power forwards, and certainly is in the mix of consideration for that accolade. He is and has been the prime reason for the Spurs' success over the last decade-plus. Both the ZR1 and the Camry will get you to the dance, but in differing style...high-maintenance vs. reliable dependability.

Shaq #1

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 05:49:31 PM by Rolando Blackman »
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 10:39:10 PM »
I hope one of the Spurs fans pops up to answer this for me.  I haven't seen Lurker or X3 post in a really long time.

Do you guys think that the Spurs can maintain this pace for the rest of the year and the playoffs?  For the past 8 seasons the Spurs have been using November, December, and part of January to experiment or cruise.  They would play with line ups, weather injuries, and let the big 3 take it a bit easy in the first part of the season.  This year they are torching teams and giving 110%  every single night as their record shows.  Being that they are an older team and this is not like them are any of you concerned about the pace? 

Related Stat:  Tim Duncan who averages about 29 minutes per game through his career is playing 38 minutes this year.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:43:35 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 01:21:18 AM »
Related Stat:  Tim Duncan who averages about 29 minutes per game through his career is playing 38 minutes this year.
I think you meant to post Duncan is ave 29 this season yet for his career he aves 36.
?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 03:14:55 PM »
I think you meant to post Duncan is ave 29 this season yet for his career he aves 36.
?

Yeah that is what I meant.  I brought it up to point out that the Spurs are putting more energy into the first half of the season but at the same time Duncan minutes are lower than usual.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 06:13:17 PM »
^^  McDyess is also at a career low 17 min and has played great.  He's mentioned he enjoys the depth resulting in less minutes and more rest.

Excellent distribution of minutes and even Bonbon has been useful, altho he remains out indefinitely with a mystery knee problem.

Gary Neal the rookie has been great, another Spurs steal and this helps GNob rest.