Author Topic: Movies  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Movies
« on: July 31, 2010, 07:18:02 PM »
The Pledge (2001 Jack Nicholson).
jn i reckon this might be your type of flick.  By that i mean with some depth, not the glitz of mainstream and the ending has a lot of reality, albeit very bittersweet (to me).
Detective Jerry Black absolutely nailed the perp, altho i was left distressed over the endings failure to give closure.  Not only to Black, but to all involved really.  Esp the Indian left in prison as he was wrongly convicted.  But certainly to Black also, who went into heavy drinking and could not understand why his correct findings seemingly ended up wrong.  The Mom/girlfriend, the little girl who truly loved Black and he her, really everyone got shafted in the closure dept.  Even the perp, altho he was burned up in the accident, in a way that's not real commupance either.

I missed the 1st half hour so....

Q.  Are we to believe the perp was the same guy as the garbageman/pastor?

Inception
Haven't gone yet.  Intrigued, but also wonder if too much of a creepy factor.  Am told it's very convoluded (which is why some like it, they can rehash it and figure it out.)  Others have told me it's nothing more then schtick that if you're on drugs while viewing you can go "Wow man, that's trippy".
Have you seen it?

Double Indemnity 1944 Fred Macmurray and Barb Steinwyck.
Okay so I'm behind the times in viewing.
Very well done.  Liked it.
I'm gonna give a few more of those Film Noir era flicks a shot.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Movies
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 11:13:19 PM »
Still nobody has seen Inception?

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 03:22:13 PM »
Yep, I did see Inception a couple weeks ago.   Mere drug schtick?  Wow is that off base.  There is a lot more going on than mere special effects, though they are certainly impressive in their own right.  The director Chris Nolan has now directed this movie, the two most recent Batman Movies, The Prestige and Memento.   That's a very solid list.

Anyway it's not the greatest movie I have ever seen but it's definitely worth seeing on the big screen.

Forgot about The Pledge.  Sounds like it would be a good one.

Old Film Noir can be a lot of fun.  One of my local theaters had a British Film Noir festival this spring.  I went back for a repeat viewing of The Third Man with Orson Welles and Gaslight, which I had not seen.   The Third Man is a must see.  Gaslight had a really fun, almost over the top villian but is probably only for people who are really into noir.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 10:59:44 PM by jn »
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 08:42:45 PM »
Inception has the "Distric 9 Award for 2010".  Basically the Skander-approved seal of originality and freshness on an increasing cinematic landscape of played out and re-tread.  Great plot, amazing effects, and surprisingly coherent (really it actually is!). 

Just took in Double Indemnity a couple months ago with the wife.  Great Movie!  They say its the pre-eminent film noir (the film that practically started the movement).  What's funny is that Fred MacMurray was a music and gags studio regular who was more a goofy, TV sitcom guy.  Yet he still managed not to be completely overwhelmed by Edward G. Robinson and Barbara Stanwick (the 1st femme fatale in cinema).
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 10:02:04 PM »
Well, lookey here! ^^^
Are you done studying?

Inception put me to sleep.  Sorry guys.
The Pledge i know who did it now.  Yes jn it's vieworthy, i predict you approve.

Have "we" seen The Social Network and if so how was it?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 10:35:40 PM »
Inception has the "Distric 9 Award for 2010".  Basically the Skander-approved seal of originality and freshness on an increasing cinematic landscape of played out and re-tread.  Great plot, amazing effects, and surprisingly coherent (really it actually is!). 

Just took in Double Indemnity a couple months ago with the wife.  Great Movie!  They say its the pre-eminent film noir (the film that practically started the movement).  What's funny is that Fred MacMurray was a music and gags studio regular who was more a goofy, TV sitcom guy.  Yet he still managed not to be completely overwhelmed by Edward G. Robinson and Barbara Stanwick (the 1st femme fatale in cinema).

Inception was a great flick. Amazing effects, great story and the last scene had the entire audience going "ohhhh" or "ahhhh". I'd give it an A.

Since Inception I saw Social Network and the Owl movie. 

Social Network was a very good movie, very good story, great characters and who doesn't have some interest in Facebook.  If you're a geek I'd give it a A-/B++, for the regulars I'd give it a B/B-.

Saw the Owl movie in IMAX 3-D, my kid's eyes have become more balanced and he's able to watch 3-D movies without getting dizzy.  IMAX 3-D was amazing, hope Tron II is in 3-D. I liked the movie, nothing great, very predictable story and characters but visually stunning.  B-

I can NOT wait for Tron 2, looks fantastic as do the next installments of Harry Potter.  The Smurfs movie looks horrid but you never know. Rango looks pretty good.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 11:40:54 AM »
Are you done studying?

Nope, round about 3 more years.

Inception put me to sleep.  Sorry guys.

You shouldn't have started it at 1:00 AM!
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 11:52:13 PM »
The Social Network was very interesting.
Anyone wonder how close the movie was/wasn't to real life?
I found these links to be super interesting.

http://www.businessinsider.com/faceb...zuckerberg-ims

http://www.businessinsider.com/is-th...k-true-2010-10

http://www.allfacebook.com/social-ne...iction-2010-09

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-09-30/t...rin?_s=PM:TECH

Bottom line i think he ripped off the Vinklevoss Twins + Divvya Narendra big time.

Update: Not sure why these links are not working from here as they work fine from other site but the top 3 are from www.businessinsider.com
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 01:07:45 PM by Reality »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 10:33:59 AM »
Secretariat
Easy to follow, clean.
I had no idea Secretariat had the upbringing he did and came close to winning nothing.

John Malkovich is supposed to be the eccentric Frenchman trainer but just comes off as his usual retard, but it's still an okay casting.
Nip Tuck dude also has no business being in a Disney movie but, whatever guess Disney has changed.
It ended up working.