Author Topic: Spurs Mavs series  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs Mavs series
« on: April 25, 2010, 05:59:01 PM »
Game 3 Spurs 94 Dallas 90 what a classic.
SuperGnob is looking 2005 Playoff Co-MVP ish.  Broken nose but he returns to do the super nutty drives to the hoop.
Timmy Dunks you can with a certainly say the rumors of his demise are premature.

Lurker-Joe.  Yeah Matt Bonners treys sure are helping "space the floor."  :D
Fewest trey attempts by the Spurs in ages!  Instead, taking the ball to the rack repeatedly.  Result?  Win in RealSpurs of old fashion.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: Spurs Mavs series
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 06:29:59 PM »
I watched the game.  The Spurs had Dallas's number, and attacked the goal with a passion.  Ginobili looked exceptionally good at doing the old draw-and-dish.

But the two players who impressed me the most haven't been mentioned yet.  George Hill for the Spurs looked unstoppable.  I felt he really was the X-factor in the game for the Spurs.  And J.J. Barea of Dallas was the only sign of life from Dallas at all.  It was a great move getting him in there.  I've always liked that kid.

Interesting (and poor) choice of having Kidd on Jefferson.  While Butler looked bad, I think if I'm Dallas, I'd rather have had Kidd on Ginobili and Butler on Jefferson, and let Terry sit down.  While Terry hit a few, he missed on some REALLY POOR CHOICES.

That was a classic Maverick offensive failure;  other team gets a lay-up, you get a jumpshot - quite often a tough one.

And while you're panning Bonner here, understand what Popovich has done.  Dallas will now have to adjust to get people more focused on stopping the drive next game.  Expect big outside shooting games from Ginobili and Bonner with a lot of very wide open looks.  Wouldn't surprise me if Ginobili hits 5 threes PLUS gets to the line for 6 to 10 free throws next game, and Duncan will turn in a big assist game.  Believe it or not, I'm actually going to have to give Popovich credit for this one;  it was well coached from both a single game and a series perspective.

Finally, one VERY notable thing, and it was painful to watch for me because this is what happened to my Upward team this year....EVERY LONG REBOUND went to San Antonio - especially long rebounds on the San An offensive end.  Every hustle play went to San An.  In that regard, Dallas looked MUCH SLOWER than San An.  In fact, Barea was the only one who showed any real energy for Dallas.

I can honestly see this being over in 5, if Dallas doesn't make *MAJOR* adjustments - especially to their energy level.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 09:34:39 PM »
Game 4 Spurs 92 Mavs 89.
3-1 Spurs.
True that about GHill, Joe in Gm 3 and now this game 4.  Wow, fantastic game.  The trey over Novitski was the icing on the cake.  really a 3+1 (I'm okay with the no call of Dirk hitting his shooting hand just after he released, just sick of seeing Dirk get every breath call when he himself shoots).
I wanted them to keep going to GHill late 4th.

Props to Dallas on going down hard.  Those Terry treys were clutch and i agree with some who say Marion should have been on the floor.
Duncan was simply horrible and Popazits on que gross misuse/overuse of the 4 Dumb offense in the 1st half was killer.  Thank goodness he let Blair play a dozen minutes.

Najeras horsecollar of GNob.  Bogus!  1 game is not enough for that potentially career ending crap.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 12:25:19 AM by Reality »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 04:44:21 PM »
No suspension for Najera even tho he horsecollared GNob.

NBA flagrant rules and enforcement area a joke.

Bear in mind his playing or not is not a difference maker.  I'm talking league wide. If you can horsecollar and only get ejected from the game you are in, why not just horsecollar away would be some punks attitude.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 09:42:39 AM »
Joey "Vendetta Against Duncan and Spurs" Crawford drawing the Stern assignment for Game 6.

Good grief.........

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 10:45:59 AM »
Joey "Vendetta Against Duncan and Spurs" Crawford drawing the Stern assignment for Game 6.

Good grief.........

I think they have much more to worry about than the ref.  Their defense last night was HORRID.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 10:54:53 AM »
Oh no the Spurs have got ref worries even if they bring their defensive A game.
It's worse then Joey Crawford for the Spurs, if that is possible.

Ed Rush. 
Facts?  (Compiled by another board poster who is very reliable):

My numbers are that the Spurs are 9-15 in playoff games that Rush has officiated since 1998. They're 6-5 at home and 3-10 on the road. They're also 0-4 against Dallas in Rush officiated games, having lost Game 3 in 2009 (in Dallas), Game 2 in 2006 (in SA), Game 5 in 2003 (in SA), and Game 4 in 2001 (in Dallas).

By contrast, since 2001, I have the Mavs being 9-3 when Rush officiates and 4-1 on the road in those games (the lone loss was Game 6 of the 2005 First Round in Houston):
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Reality back.  When you consider the Spurs from 98 on had Timmy Dunkar and co. thus certainly a well over .500 playoff record and that NBA home teams traditionally win more then road teams and that certainly holds true for Rush refffed games (they posted his home vs road reffing record and it def favored the home team), that is scary!!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 11:13:16 AM »
Oh no the Spurs have got ref worries even if they bring their defensive A game.
It's worse then Joey Crawford for the Spurs, if that is possible.

Ed Rush. 
Facts?  (Compiled by another board poster who is very reliable):

My numbers are that the Spurs are 9-15 in playoff games that Rush has officiated since 1998. They're 6-5 at home and 3-10 on the road. They're also 0-4 against Dallas in Rush officiated games, having lost Game 3 in 2009 (in Dallas), Game 2 in 2006 (in SA), Game 5 in 2003 (in SA), and Game 4 in 2001 (in Dallas).

By contrast, since 2001, I have the Mavs being 9-3 when Rush officiates and 4-1 on the road in those games (the lone loss was Game 6 of the 2005 First Round in Houston):
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Reality back.  When you consider the Spurs from 98 on had Timmy Dunkar and co. thus certainly a well over .500 playoff record and that NBA home teams traditionally win more then road teams and that certainly holds true for Rush refffed games (they posted his home vs road reffing record and it def favored the home team), that is scary!!

So if they win at home can we chill out on the ref stuff for a while?  I mean that stat is interesting but it is just missing so much data.  Were any players injured on those games?  What was the reason for the losses in those games?  Was it too many fouls on key players or a lack of FT (something a ref could effect)?

Personally I don't expect the Spurs to play that poor of defense and let Caron Butler go for 35 again. 
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 11:55:47 AM »
So if they win at home can we chill out on the ref stuff for a while?  I mean that stat is interesting but it is just missing so much data.  Were any players injured on those games?  What was the reason for the losses in those games?  Was it too many fouls on key players or a lack of FT (something a ref could effect)?

Personally I don't expect the Spurs to play that poor of defense and let Caron Butler go for 35 again. 
True and yet it's a large enough sample and disparity to certainly raise eyebrows and merit an exam.
2003 Gm 5 vs Dallas the Mavs overcame a 19 point deficit, but i recall the Spurs simply sucking and Dallas being more aggressive.
2006 Gm 2 the refs lead by Rush most certainly did suck, most notably Timmy Dunks vs Novitski.  But yes must be noted this was the beggining of SmallBalls by DumbAssovich as he benched Man From Nazr after a successful 2005 Championship run, 63-19 reg season and 1st round pounding of the Kings. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 11:41:21 PM »
Not a doubt in my mind a 2010 Greg Poppycock team could and would blow a 20 pt lead.  That it happened  inside of 12 minutes was a bit surprising.
42-21 with 4:33 left in the half.  I told NBA buddy "Mavs will take the lead sometime in the late 3rd or early 4th."
57-56 Dallas with 4:56 left in the 3rd. (7:04 minutes).
11 minutes 37 seconds to get outscored by 21.

And westkoast, speaking of rip off reffing, i thought that rookie Frenchie guard for Dallas got ripped off twice on the same play near the end.  Parker grabs his arm and no call, then he loses the ball, GNob picks it up but then Ginobili loses the ball and looked like trying in haste to get the ball back he crashed into set Frenchie.  Tweet!  Foul on Frenchie.  I didnt set the recorded for long enough so cannot replay verify but looked like a total rip off call, twice!

Thank you Rick Carlisle for inexplicably taking little Frenchie out after he absolutely relit a fire under Dallas arse by playing fantastically.  Instead you chain him to the bench and let Jet keep bricking.  What a Pop move.  :D

Nonethess, Spurs prevail.