Author Topic: Lakers fade big time in OKC  (Read 2930 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Lakers fade big time in OKC
« on: April 22, 2010, 11:33:48 PM »
Props to OKC for hanging in there but the Lakers really blew a golden opportunity to make this a short series.  They came out of the gate strong but just could not put the Thunder away.  In the 4th quarter the Thunder looked like the team with experience and just played solid basketball and the Lakers just played with no fire or energy and the Thunder pushed out to an 8 point lead.  When the Lakers finally woke up it was too late.  The Lakers just looked flat, like they ran out of gas and the Thunder kept the pedal to the metal and pulled it out.

Nice win for that young squad, the Lakers better take care of buisness and not give this team a shot at an upset.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lakers fade big time in OKC
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 03:27:25 AM »
No real bench support.  Odom was not there tonight.  Jordan Farmar going 1 for 2 in the first half does not count as real support to me.  Even if he did make a few nice passes while he was out there.  Shannon shooting air balls now?!?   With half the starters dealing with injuries this below average bench is going to bite the Lakers in the rear end.  The drop off after Odom is like niagra falls but when he doesn't do well its 5 on 10, literally.

Thunder continued to use their fresher legs, youth, and speed to push on the Lakers till the very end.  I thought they played very well down the stretch in all 3 games.  Their poise, especially Durant's, should be praised.  It is almost as if they've convinced themselves its not a playoff game in crunch time.  That I think has been one of the biggest surprises of the series so far.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 03:29:11 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 11:03:20 AM »
Kobe Owns!!!

Durant guarding Kobes down the stretch.   Love it.

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 12:29:52 PM »
Before this loss I was chatting with a Laker fan at work.  I mentioned that I was surprised at how hard the Lakers had to work in the 4th to win the previous game.  I know OKC is a good young team but I expected the Lakers to be able to put them away more handily.  His main concern was that Westbrook is the type of athletic point who can break down the Lakers D.   Is that some of what happened in the loss?

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 12:43:01 PM »
Before this loss I was chatting with a Laker fan at work.  I mentioned that I was surprised at how hard the Lakers had to work in the 4th to win the previous game.  I know OKC is a good young team but I expected the Lakers to be able to put them away more handily.  His main concern was that Westbrook is the type of athletic point who can break down the Lakers D.   Is that some of what happened in the loss?

That's been a hand in Laker losses in the playoffs for years now.  Pretty much since Derek Fisher had foot surgery during the Shaq/Kobe years.  That was the problem  and so was their rotations.  The Thunder kept getting a lot of good wide open looks because of confusion on rotation or lack there of.  The Lakers would then run down the other end and take some HORRIBLE shot instead of working it inside out.

My thinking with the end of game play is attributed to:

- The Lakers have a crappy bench and Phil Jackson has been forced to keep his starters in longer than he normally would or even should.  Game 2 Kobe stayed in the entire 4th quarter when he normally sits until the 7 or 8 minute mark.  Last night Phil kept Derek Fisher in the game for the entire 1st quarter even though he usually gets a rest with 3-4 minutes to go in the quarter.  You can see down the stretch, especially with Kobe, that the lift for the jumpers is not there because of it.  That teamed up with the injuries to the back and knee you could see why the jumpers have been flat and not on target.

- Like you and your friend mentioned the speed of the Thunder is hurting the Lakers down the stretch because they are getting tired.  I don't think the team is so old (tho I do think injuries play into it) but if they are not getting a good rest on the bench then it is not surprising to see them slow down a bit.  Westbrook noticed this last night and started to just straight attack the rim.  He had one real mean dunk last night that even got me out of my chair.  Derek is too old to guard him late, Jordan Farmar is quick but no one has tried to explain to him about 'anticipation' and Shannon Brown reverted back into a player we thought we originally got in the Radmonavich deal (not the one we've been use to seeing since before the all-star break)

- In Game 1 and 2 I think the Lakers somewhat expected the Thunder to do what many first time playoff teams do and that is get careless with the ball down the stretch, not execute, and get flustered.  They haven't really done that in any of the 3 games.  I think the players confidence and focus is the handy work of Scott Brooks.  That was one of my reasons for picking him as COTY because I felt he did a great job of getting the team to focus all year long.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:55:54 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 02:08:19 PM »
Is that some of what happened in the loss?

No.  The Lakers lost because PJ coached poorly, the refs screwed the Lakers, Durrant got all the calls, and A-"Da-Man" Morrison did not get enough minutes.  I'm pretty sure one of the refs had big money on OKC winning the game as well.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 02:40:09 PM »

No.  The Lakers lost because PJ coached poorly, the refs screwed the Lakers, Durrant got all the calls, and A-"Da-Man" Morrison did not get enough minutes.  I'm pretty sure one of the refs had big money on OKC winning the game as well.

Not enough minutes of what? Mustache care?
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 03:24:21 PM »
The title is garbage, the Lakers didn't fade they got outplayed on both ends. After coming out of the gate weak, Oklahoma did not pack it in or give up. They never got too far behind the Lakers after that, and after half-time their confidence grew and they played with great discipline. 

The Lakers are a bigger, stronger team, but the Thunders quickness stopped them from executing their half-court game. Very few entry passes to Gasol or Bynum at the end, non in fact.  The Lakers settled for outside shot after outside shot, could not get second shots or rely on Kobe to bail them out. 

On offense they ran when they could, but what was really impressive is their discipline in running their offense, they shot a very high percentage, shared the ball, and outside shots that were open, and Westbrook shredded the Laker defense.

The refs did not influence this game, and it was played relatively cleanly by both teams.  The Lakers are going to have to figure out a way to get better looks on their offense, and find a way to get control of Westbrook and Durant.  The are still the better team IMO, but OKC can beat them if they can play their best game. Last night they got beat on both ends of the floor, and Phil is going to have to figure out a better strategy.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 04:15:19 PM »

Hidey,
besides rickortreats accurate correction of your title you should know by now it was Serge Ibs.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 09:15:51 PM »
The title is garbage, the Lakers didn't fade they got outplayed on both ends.

Is that why the Lakers lead for nearly the entire the game?  Until the end when they..err...uhm...faded?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"