Author Topic: Camby to Blazers for Outlaw and Blake  (Read 2516 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Camby to Blazers for Outlaw and Blake
« on: February 16, 2010, 11:45:59 AM »
This is good news.  Camby is a short term option, his contract expires at the end of the season, but we got some value for Outlaw and Blake before they became FA.  Camby is ideal for what we need.  Good rebounder, shot blocker, and will allow us to reduce the minutes of an over-matched Juwan Howard.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2010/02/outlaw_blake_traded_to_clipper.html

The Trail Blazers will trade forward Travis Outlaw and guard Steve Blake to the Los Angeles Clippers for veteran center Marcus Camby, an agent for one of the players has confirmed to The Oregonian.

Outlaw late Monday night said his agent, Bill Duffy, informed him that the deal should be finished on Tuesday.

"He said it is still being finished, but that it should go through,'' Outlaw said.

The deal, which will also include the Blazers giving cash to Los Angeles, is expected to be finalized on Tuesday, well before the noon Thursday trading deadline, and on the same day the Clippers are in Portland to play the Blazers in the Rose Garden.

Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard said the deal is "not done."

Yahoo! Sports and ESPN.com first reported the trade. Yahoo! was the first to report the deal also involves the Blazers paying the Clippers cash.

All three players have expiring contracts.

"I'm cool with it,'' Outlaw said of the trade. "It doesn't bother me. This is a business. I'll just go somewhere else and play. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the opportunity Portland gave me, but I also know it's a business.''

The move gives the Blazers a proven interior player in Camby, whose 14-year career has been defined by defense. A lanky 6-foot-11 forward/center, Camby won NBA defensive player of the year three seasons ago (2006-2007) with Denver, when he led the league in blocks (3.61) and finished second in rebounding (13.1).

He is a two-time member of the NBA All-Defensive team (2006-2007, 2007-2008) and two-time Second team All-Defensive (2004-2006).

The Blazers lose Outlaw, one of their top reserves who has played only 11 games this season after breaking his left foot Nov. 14 at Charlotte. He was averaging 9.9 points and 3.5 rebounds this season.

Outlaw was the longest tenured Blazers player, a first round pick in 2003 out of Starkville (Miss.) High School. He was also one of the more beloved players in the locker room, best friend to team star Brandon Roy and a close confidant of LaMarcus Aldridge.

Outlaw said he exchanged messages with Roy on Monday night and told him he would call him as soon as the trade was finalized.

Blake, in his second tenure with the Blazers, was a starter for much of last season, and began this season with the first unit before taking on a reserve role in December. In his last game before the trade, Blake scored 20 points and had 12 assists in a win at Phoenix.

The move is a direct sign that general manager Kevin Pritchard and owner Paul Allen value a playoff berth this season. The Blazers (31-24) hold the eighth and final playoff seed in the Western Conference with 27 games remaining.

The team's top two centers _ Greg Oden and Joel Przybilla _ are both lost for the season with knee injuries, forcing veteran forward Juwan Howard to play center at 6-foot-9.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Camby to Blazers for Outlaw and Blake
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 06:57:35 PM »
I hope he swats some weak offerings from Finley and Jefferson.

Oh wait, they never take the ball to the rack in the Stand n Veg Offense.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:39:01 AM »
Great move by the Blazers, and I *HOPE* it's not strictly a one-season move.  If they were to re-sign Camby - obviously to a more fitting contract that the one he is currently on - KEEPING Camby would allow Portland to really take a step forward in terms of depth.  Then, when you get Oden and Przybilla back, you've got plenty of size and interior defense.

Mark me down as being in the "re-sign Camby" camp.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 11:37:43 AM »
If Camby stays healthy it is a very good pick up.  It really gives them a good rebounder and someone who can provide a lot of support in the paint.  With the big men out it is something they badly need but....

Hate to say this Ziggy but it's a gamble.  Portland big man curse and a big man who has been prone to injury over his career....just saying!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 01:46:59 PM »
If Camby stays healthy it is a very good pick up.  It really gives them a good rebounder and someone who can provide a lot of support in the paint.  With the big men out it is something they badly need but....

Hate to say this Ziggy but it's a gamble.  Portland big man curse and a big man who has been prone to injury over his career....just saying!

The Red Sox broke their curse, why can't we.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 04:40:53 PM »

...because Blazer history says it's more likely that it's an ANKLE that gets broken...

This isn't a gamble at all.  It's a FABULOUS pick-up by Portland.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 04:46:53 PM »

...because Blazer history says it's more likely that it's an ANKLE that gets broken...

This isn't a gamble at all.  It's a FABULOUS pick-up by Portland.

Nah, it is still a gamble.  Camby is tissue paper and you are shipping out 2 guys who could suit up for 1 who has injury problems.  I hope he stays healthy though because the basketball gods are really messed with the Blazers and there fans lately.

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com