Author Topic: Lane Kiffin leaves Vols to return to USC  (Read 2103 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lane Kiffin leaves Vols to return to USC
« on: January 13, 2010, 12:31:51 AM »
As a Pac-10 fan, this is good news for the rest of the conference.  I have not been impressed with Kiffen so far, and he definitely walks right on the edge, probably crosses over more than most.  He is not Pete Carroll, not by a long ways.  USC will have some sanctions for the Reggie Bush issue, not sure what, and UofO and OSU are right there with the Trojans, and have been for 3 years now.

Kiffin leaves Vols to return to USC

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Lane Kiffin is returning to Southern California as the Trojans' coach after just one season at Tennessee.

Kiffin was chosen Tuesday to replace Pete Carroll, his mentor and employer for six seasons. Kiffin was the Trojans' offensive coordinator before his brief stints with the Oakland Raiders and the Volunteers.

"This was not an easy decision," he said in a brief press conference on Tennessee's campus. "I really believe this is the only place I would have left here to go."

His father, respected defensive coach Monte Kiffin, and longtime USC assistant Ed Orgeron also will leave Tennessee to join him, USC said in a statement. Volunteers assistant Kippy Brown was promoted to interim coach.

ESPN.com first reported the surprising move by Kiffin and the Trojans, who needed just one day to fill one of the most desirable jobs in college football. Carroll formally took over the Seattle Seahawks on Tuesday after winning 97 games, seven Pac-10 championships and two national titles over the past nine years.

"We are really excited to welcome Lane Kiffin back to USC," Trojans athletic director Mike Garrett said. "I was able to watch him closely when he was an assistant with us, and what I saw was a bright, creative young coach who I thought would make an excellent head coach here if the opportunity ever arose. I'm confident he and his staff will keep USC football performing at the high level that we expect."

The 34-year-old Kiffin is one of Carroll's top disciples from his nine-year tenure at USC. Kiffin, a former Fresno State quarterback, worked his way up to offensive coordinator in 2005 while also showing impressive skills as the Trojans' recruiting coordinator after Orgeron's departure from Los Angeles.

For two seasons, Kiffin shared responsibility for the Trojans' offense with fellow longtime Carroll assistant Steve Sarkisian, who left USC to take over at Washington after the 2008 season.

Although Kiffin's forceful personality didn't make him a beloved figure among players or administrators, he was a key part of the Trojans' best years under Carroll, coordinating their passing game and providing instruction to quarterbacks Matt Leinart and John David Booty.

Kiffin then became Al Davis' unusual choice to take over the Oakland Raiders as a 31-year-old coach with almost no NFL experience. He made it through just 20 games before an ugly public firing in which Davis called Kiffin a liar who brought "disgrace" on the Raiders.

Kiffin went 7-6 at Tennessee last season as the youngest head coach in the Football Bowl Subdivision, but he also brought an unwelcome spotlight on the Vols with several minor NCAA violations. He certainly didn't sound ready to leave after Tennessee's season ended with a loss to Virginia Tech in the Chick-fil-A Bowl -- but the Trojans didn't have a vacancy then.

"I know there's a ton of excitement about what we're doing, and we're just getting started," Kiffin said last week.

He returns to USC with the school facing a yearslong NCAA investigation over events during his tenure as an assistant, including Reggie Bush's final years at the school. While no discipline has been handed down, it's widely expected to arrive later this year.

Kiffin was suggested as a candidate immediately after Carroll's departure became official Sunday, but many Trojans thought he wouldn't be willing or able to leave Tennessee after just one year. Yet several coaches with USC ties said they weren't interested in the job, including NFL coaches Jeff Fisher and Jack Del Rio and Oregon State coach Mike Riley.

Monte Kiffin will lend his defensive acumen to a school that annually fielded an impressive defense under Carroll, while Orgeron is likely to return to his role as the Trojans' best recruiter who helped stack Carroll's early USC teams with a dizzying array of topflight talent.

"Ed did a marvelous job during his previous time at USC, and we all know that Monte is a defensive guru," Garrett said. "I know Lane will fill out his staff with other outstanding assistants like them, ones who Trojan players and fans will really like."

A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lane Kiffin leaves Vols to return to USC
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 12:57:25 PM »
I think this is a good hire for SC in the short term, solely because it will likely salvage this years recruiting class.  Had they not brought in an "SC guy" who many of the players either knew or were very familiar with, their recruiting class would have been devastated.  Which is what will now happen to Tennessee's recruiting class as we're about 3 weeks out from signing day.  Additionally, he brings with him two excellent coaches in his father and Ed Orgeron, who is a fantastic coach and recruiter that all of the players love. 

In the long run, I think this is a risky hire for SC.  Kiffin certainly hasn't proven jack as a head coach in his career.  His Dad is obviously a great D coordinator and tremendously improved Tennessee's defense in one year, so it might work out, but it's a high risk verture, IMO.  But yeah, as a Duck residing in SoCal I couldn't be happier about the end of USC's reign of terror.  The only person in LA happier than Kiffin and me right now ... Rick Neuheisel.   

Oregon returns 18 of 22 starters, OSU has a strong base and great coaching staff (although I think the loss of Canfield will hurt), Arizona is young and vastly improving, Stanford looks great and will have a sophomore Andrew Luck who might be the best QB I've seen in the Pac since Jake Locker, who decided to stay for his senior year (although I guess he technically has about 3 weeks to change his mind).  The Pac-10 is going to be fun to watch again this next season with basically every team except WSU likely to improve and make a run at the title.

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 01:13:40 PM »
There's a great article on ESPN.com today about how this is the best thing that could have happened to Tennessee.

Kiffin sr is 70 - so how long will he last

Kiffin jr in barely one year at UT made a lot of noise and seemingly got the program in more NCAA hot water than Fulmers entire tenure.

My gf is an avid Facebook user and one of her 'friends' knows some UT alum and was tellling me that UT had hired Patterson from TCU about 45 minutes after the Kiffin announcement because she had heard it from some Alums, and while Patterson is an interesting target I don't think it would be fast or cheap to get him.

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 03:51:33 PM »
Quote from: espn.com
But the real trick for Kiffin was figuring out a way to leave the Neyland-Thompson Sports Center late Tuesday night in one piece.

Groups of angry students and fans began surrounding the football complex after the news leaked that Kiffin had taken the USC job. Eventually, it evolved into a mob-like scene, with police moving in and barricading Johnny Majors Drive in front of the football complex.

Every time a car moved anywhere in the vicinity of the complex, the mob ran in that direction, shouting and chanting, "F--- you Kiffin!"

14 months ago they loved Lane Kiffin - the reason he's leaving are the same things they loved 14 months ago.

As someone else pointed out

Would you rather run the 'best' program in the Pac-10 or the fourth/fifth best program in the SEC?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 04:31:56 PM »
Quote from: espn.com
But the real trick for Kiffin was figuring out a way to leave the Neyland-Thompson Sports Center late Tuesday night in one piece.

Groups of angry students and fans began surrounding the football complex after the news leaked that Kiffin had taken the USC job. Eventually, it evolved into a mob-like scene, with police moving in and barricading Johnny Majors Drive in front of the football complex.

Every time a car moved anywhere in the vicinity of the complex, the mob ran in that direction, shouting and chanting, "F--- you Kiffin!"

14 months ago they loved Lane Kiffin - the reason he's leaving are the same things they loved 14 months ago.

As someone else pointed out

Would you rather run the 'best' program in the Pac-10 or the fourth/fifth best program in the SEC?

I have a friend who lives in TN and attended UT.  Funny how just two weeks ago he was telling me how Kiffin is the man and they love him.  This morning on blackberry messenger he was thrashing him when I was like 'CA > TN' lol

Not only would it be nicer to be in the Pac 10 for him, he has burned a lot of bridges in the South.  Plus, he loves LA and so does his wife (who is from LA I believe).  Would you rather live in Tennessee or Los Angeles?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 04:33:22 PM »
Would you rather live in Tennessee or Los Angeles?

what's the third option?

I'd rather live in Madison than those two

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 04:34:15 PM »
Would you rather live in Tennessee or Los Angeles?

what's the third option?

I'd rather live in Madison than those two

There is no third option (at least I don't think Kiffin was offered a job anywhere else)
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 04:36:47 PM »
Over Under on Lane Kiffin at USC is 3 years - but subject to change if they don't get chow or his dad retires sooner