Author Topic: Pedro starts. Phils, are u happy about this?  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Pedro starts. Phils, are u happy about this?
« on: October 29, 2009, 10:17:16 AM »
He was great vs L.A. in his two hitter.  For that matter he has been very good since the Phils acquired him.
I'm down with Pedro starting and Hamels at home.

Or do you think Hamels should have been started right here and now in Gm 2?

jemagee

Re: Pedro starts. Phils, are u happy about this?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 11:42:10 AM »
If you believe in such things, Pedro has big game experience and 'big stage' yankee stadium experience, for some reason Cole Hamels has really gross splits home and away this year, his numbers just are much better at home, and maybe he's more comfortable.

If Pedro hadn't pitched as well as he did in the dodger series, I would probably be more concerned, but at this point, I'm comfortable with it and not going to question Charlie Manuel, he's earned the faith of Phillies fans that he knows what to do and when to do it.

I'm more concerned that right now the projected game 4 starter is cupcakes and not Lee (or Happ)...if for some reason Hamels shuts down the yankees offense (lefty) like lee did you maybe think about throwing the lefty out there instead of the righty.

I don't think there's anyway the phils keep the yankees bats as silent as they did on Monday, Cliff Lee's performance probably ranks in top 20 all time world series performances...no one has had double digit k's, 0 walks and  0 er since the first world series, I think that's the stat they dropped last night...but I thought the phils needed to get that split in New York but I thought it was going to have to be game 2. 

I just don't want to see a game 2 repeat like the LCS - another great pitching from Pedro and shut down by a pitcher who really shouldn't shut them down...would just suck.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 12:24:20 PM »
I'm comfortable with it and not going to question Charlie Manuel, he's earned the faith of Phillies fans that he knows what to do and when to do it.

That line pretty much sums up my feelings.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 12:28:44 PM »
Both these teams have bats that get out of control and generate a lot of runs, seeing a no-hitter is an unexpected pleasure.  Pedro's in a good situation here, and because of Hammels inconsistency he is the right choice in Manuels' head.

I'd like to see Happ pitch instead of Blanton, the young kid deserves his shot thanks to his work during the season, and he is an unknown to the Yankees, Strategically that will bother the Yankees hitters more than anything, not knowing what Happ's tendencies are.

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 10:50:45 PM »
It's amazing how two games over a week apart can seem eerily similar...let's hope the rest of the world series plays out like the NLCS

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 03:26:10 PM »
No way do i lay this loss on Pete, think he did a fine job.
1 run thru 5 complete, the two other runs charged were when Chan Ho Pork gave up the single to Posada.

Phils bats went AWOL, altho we never got to see Howard come up with two on one out in the 9th thanks MLBs continued Ancient Old Man who continues to veto any replay.  (Utley safe at 1st).