Author Topic: OT - Favorite 'holiday' specific treat?  (Read 2845 times)

jemagee

OT - Favorite 'holiday' specific treat?
« on: October 30, 2009, 01:45:24 PM »
So i'm not talking the milky ways you get in mini packages  that you can get year round, but those specifics that come around only once a year...(sales rep brought candy corn by today, i love candy corn no matter what lewis black says).

I'm also a big fan of the 'easter' time peeps (but they have to be stale)

Never was a big fan of hamantashan - found them a bit dry

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: OT - Favorite 'holiday' specific treat?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 10:30:53 PM »
For a holiday-specific treat, it would have to be candy canes - with the candy-cane peppermint rather than starlight mint peppermint.  Love peppermint, and candy-cane peppermint is the best.

Thanksgiving turkey would be up there, but we have turkey pretty much EVERY holiday.  But it's good, though.  And my mom has gotten noticeably better and better at making it over the years.  Used to, she'd make it too dry, but now, she makes some of the best turkey around.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 10:58:17 PM »
Pumpkin roll at Christmas time. So good it will make you do this.

"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 01:53:13 PM »
It's T-Day turkey for me.  Since I really only get to eat a nicely cooked turkey once a year I look forward to it.

I don't know if this would fall under 'holiday' specific but it does only come around when the fair is here in the summer.....deep fried oreos!  Just typing this out is making me hungry.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 01:56:03 PM »
Since I really only get to eat a nicely cooked turkey once a year I look forward to it.

Why only once a year?  Why not make turkey more often?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 03:36:17 PM »
Pumpkin pie.  :)

For those in the know, "muertos" for Holloween is a once a year treat that I injoy.  Too bad you have to pre-order/reserve yours if you want some good one and when my mom is out of town I don't know who to contact.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 05:32:32 PM »
Wild huckleberry pie.  Huckleberry's are a local Native American delicacy, picked wild.  As a family we have gone out into the Mt Hood national forest every year and picked berries for years and years.

Of course I love turkey, pumpkin pie all the regular trimmings, but huckleberry pie is the top of the heap.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 09:14:39 PM »
Since I really only get to eat a nicely cooked turkey once a year I look forward to it.

Why only once a year?  Why not make turkey more often?

A bachelor in his 20s, cooking a full blown Turkey for himself seems like a little much :laugh:

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 11:31:56 AM »
A bachelor in his 20s, cooking a full blown Turkey for himself seems like a little much :laugh:

Not if he's a bacehlor in his 20s trying to be economical and save money towards his future.  One medium sized turkey can feed you for a week in terms of lunches and dinners...i do it myself with whol chickens and roast beefs on the weekend

And it's not like a turkey requires a lot of attention either :)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 01:45:12 PM »

Not if he's a bacehlor in his 20s trying to be economical and save money towards his future.  One medium sized turkey can feed you for a week in terms of lunches and dinners...i do it myself with whol chickens and roast beefs on the weekend

And it's not like a turkey requires a lot of attention either :)

You sold me.  I just cashed in my 401k to buy turkey so I can save towards my future!

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 01:47:52 PM »
Yeah, I used to have retirement money too  and then I went a year without being able to find a job...

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 08:41:44 AM »
Pumpkin Spice coffee...  Been drinking this all week. 
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.