Author Topic: How bout them Ducks MSC  (Read 1725 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
How bout them Ducks MSC
« on: November 01, 2009, 02:00:56 PM »
USC has lost only 3 non-conference games since 2002, and yet hasn't won in Oregon in 4 years.  USC had no answers last night, and had no answers in the second half last week against OSU.  After the week one debacle I thought it was going to be a very long season, but they have really started to click, kudos to Chip Kelly. 
All that is necessary is to beat Arizona, and it is pretty much a lock.  Of course 2 years ago in Arizona they lost the game and Dennis Dixon so it is not a guarantee.  They also have to play Stanford at Stanford, and Harbaugh has them playing well (he is a very good coach I think).
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

jemagee

Re: How bout them Ducks MSC
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 02:26:35 PM »
My boss is a big USC fan (taught there for many years) so I expect he'll be unhappy on Monday...but USC had some massive roster turnover versus last year did they not?  I think the expectation from such a young team was a little high, but they do look 'stocked' for a couple years if they keep developing?

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 06:42:31 PM »
Hey, ziggy!  Yes, that was quite a game and I was so fired up to be there.  A bunch of us from college meet up for a game every year and this year we decided to go for a big one.  I'm not completely surprised that Oregon beat SC, but I am surprised at just how much they dominated them.  I knew that Oregon's been playing very well, seemingly getting better each week after that horrendous season opener.  Also, being down here in SoCal I get to follow the Trojans pretty closely as well and they're beatable this year.  Nine new starters on D, freshmen quarterback, plenty of injuries (we have lots too, welcome to college football), etc., etc.  Chip and his staff have done a fantastic job with the spread offense and Masolli has really started running it like a finely tuned engine.  Week in and week out defenses have been off balance all game and as they continue to run the no huddle offense, you can see the opposing D getting tired.  This isn't a no huddle offense where the team lines up and waits 15 seconds while the coaching staff calls in the play.  This is a no huddle, where they run right up to the line, get set, and snap it.  At times Oregon was just calling the same play, inside hand off to LaMichael James, right up the gut.  Nothing SC could do about it.  The week before Washington could barely get lined up before the snap in the second half and I was surprised that SC's D was no different.  I honestly thought the SC D would be much for formidable, but they looked confused and tired. 

What is different about this years Ducks vs. previous years is that it isn't just all about offense.  In years past, it seemed like we'd just out score the opponent.  This season, the D has really stepped up.  Nick Alliotti has done a fine job, but on top of that the kids on D are really flying around the field and playing like a cohesive unit.  Even with injuries to Walter Thurmond and TJ Ward and Glasper in the secondary, young guys are stepping up.  It's not the biggest group of guys but the D line and linebacking crew are very speedy and really move laterally across the field.  Special teams has been outstanding as well this season ... so for probably the first time since I've been a Duck (1992) I'm seeing a very balanced team and that is exciting.  Heck, we return 19 starters next year so it's a good time to be a Duck :-)

There are still four games left against very good teams, so anything can happen.  Stanford and AZ are looking tough this year and you know the Civil War is always a battle, but the Beavs are legit too this season.  It will be difficult, but beating SC was huge and I like our chances to be playing in Pasadena in January. 

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 10:46:57 PM »
Agree across the board.  The Ducks had lost a ton of seniors.  Yet they have kept it going.  Masoli is running the spread extremely well, just like the end of last year, when they were blowing away everybody.  The OLine is playing so much better.  The hurry up is also working well.

Agree on the defense.  This is the best defense since 1994.  I think they can be prone to giving up big plays, because I think at times they over-commit, but they are shutting everybody down.  Take away the great field position from Maehl's fumble, and USC was looking at losing 50-13 or 54-13 (that was a real good play by the SC defender btw).  The loss of Walter Thurmond is on par with any loss any team will face this year.  He was on his way to 1st team all-american, in many ways almost as devastating as the loss of DD 2 years ago.

They have ASU, UA, Stanford and OSU remaining.  UA and Stanford are going to be tough, they cannot look past either game.  Right now UA is the only real likely challenger, but UA has to play Cal, USC and Oregon.  They have ASU at home, so that is the easiest.  OSU at Autzen will be tough, but OSU's defense isn't up to stopping Oregon.  It comes down to the Oregon D stopping Quizz and James Rogers, and that isn't an easy task.  Oregon did that last year, but both guys were out last season.

Almost no shot at anything more than the Rose Bowl, but that is fine.  Rose Bowl against Iowa, OSU, or PSU would be a good game.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil