Author Topic: Forced retirement?  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Forced retirement?
« on: August 06, 2009, 09:20:21 AM »
From an ESPN article on 10 story lines to follow during the slow period.

10. Unemployed NBA Players
There won't exactly be bread lines, but some players you watched play in the NBA last season will be looking for work somewhere else soon.

To save money, many teams (even the wealthy Lakers) have decided to carry short rosters -- just 13 players, instead of the allowed 15. On opening night, there could be 30 or 40 fewer NBA jobs than a year ago. At the same time, dozens of draftees and imported free agents (everyone from David Andersen with the Rockets to new Bull Jannero Pargo) have already filled roster spots.

As of this morning there are 381 signed players. If every team sticks to a roster of 13, just 24 more will get contracts. (As many as 71 could get jobs -- that would put every roster at the maximum 15). Meanwhile Chad Ford lists 40 notable free agents, from David Lee to Morris Almond. The full list is at 70.

Do the math. Forced retirement is a quiet reality of every summer. This year, the musical chairs could be especially harsh.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My bet is that most teams will stick with 13-14 players.  There is a problem in the bolded section with his math.  30 teams @ 13 players is 390 roster spots.  That would leave only 9 openings.  To get to the 24 number it would have to be 13.5 players per team (15 teams @ 13 players; 15 @ 14).  If all 30 teams carry full 15 man rosters that is 450 roster spots...less the 381 signed and that leaves a max of 93.

Some notables:
Iverson
Marbury
Stackhouse
David Lee
Nate Robinson
Wally Szczerbiak
Ben Wallace
Big Baby Davis
Marvin Williams
Sessions
Delfino
Kleiza
Marquis Daniels
Felton
Tinsley
Desmond Mason
Juwan Howard
Joe Smith
Bobby Jackson
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Forced retirement?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 09:50:42 AM »
Wow that is quite a list of notables.  Just about everyone on that list I have not heard a peep about save the one story about Stackhouse working out for teams as we speak.

I am not sheding tears over these guys not having a job like a large portion of the country.  What does interest me is that some of the players who will not ending up making a team are better than some who actually have contracts.  Better agents and better luck I guess.

Btw Juwuan Howard needs to be forced into retirement.  That guy I swear.  Should have hung em up a few years ago but still manages to get contracts.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 11:05:36 AM »

To save money, many teams (even the wealthy Lakers) have decided to carry short rosters -- just 13 players, instead of the allowed 15.
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/32/nba08_NBA-Team-Valuations_Rank.html

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 11:16:44 AM »
I think you can look at that list and figure out who really has to worry based on age.  David Lee, Raymond Felton and Marvin Williams will not remain unsigned.   Older guys like Ben Wa, Wally and Joe Smith definitely should be worried. 

Marbury's recent video lunacy pretty much guarantees he's done. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes