Author Topic: Odom signs with the Lakers!  (Read 3204 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Odom signs with the Lakers!
« on: July 30, 2009, 04:07:04 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4367213

Updated: July 30, 2009, 4:59 PM ET
Source: Odom, Lakers agree on deal

Lamar Odom will return to the Los Angeles Lakers, according to an NBA source.

Odom will sign a four-year contract, with the fourth year at the Lakers' option.

One source with knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com the four-year deal is worth $33 million if the Lakers exercise the final year of the contract.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak declined comment. Odom's agent, Jeff Schwartz, did not return a message immediately.

J.A. Adande and Marc Stein are NBA reporters for ESPN.com.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Odom signs with the Lakers!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 06:42:44 PM »
Finally!  I figured he would, it's not like he had a lot of other options, but it's nice to finally have the deal done. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 08:02:59 PM »
Finally!  I figured he would, it's not like he had a lot of other options, but it's nice to finally have the deal done. 

I feel it was a little petty to lower the offer after Odom's initial refusal.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 10:04:24 PM »

I feel it was a little petty to lower the offer after Odom's initial refusal.

Me too.  Jerry Buss' ego is out of hand.  In fact I think it pretty much solidifies that Shaq was moved because he tested Jerry Buss' ego moreso than it was Kobe pulling strings.

VERY glad the deal is done.  I honestly don't think the Lakers would have any shot at repeating if they lost Odom.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 09:56:10 AM »
Congrats on 2010 Lakers. I don't know how anyone can beat you now, if Artest keeps his head and Kobe's leg doesn't fall off.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 11:38:27 AM »
Me too.  Jerry Buss' ego is out of hand.  In fact I think it pretty much solidifies that Shaq was moved because he tested Jerry Buss' ego moreso than it was Kobe pulling strings.

The Shaq situation was very different, Shaq insulted Dr. Buss in public.

VERY glad the deal is done.  I honestly don't think the Lakers would have any shot at repeating if they lost Odom.

I completely disagree with your fair weather arse!  Even without Odom the Lakers had a very good shot at repeating.  Odom's loss could be offset by Bynum getting back to pre-injury form.  Bynum seems to put up his best numbers just before he gets hurt.  A STABLE Artest is an upgrade over Ariza and would offset some of Odom's production.  Without Odom I would still have the Lakers as SLIGHT favorites out West but I don't think they would be the favorites going into the Finals.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 12:27:22 PM »

The Shaq situation was very different, Shaq insulted Dr. Buss in public.

The only difference was that Dr Buss personally was insulted by Shaq whereas he felt that Odom was insulting the franchise by not talking with em.  Either way he felt that his ego was bruised.

I completely disagree with your fair weather arse!  Even without Odom the Lakers had a very good shot at repeating.  Odom's loss could be offset by Bynum getting back to pre-injury form. 

Wait, are you, Mr WayOutWest, championing for Bynum after calling him an average player (I forgot who you called him, Haywood?)

Bynum did not return to pre-injury form the 2 times before so I am not really sure if I can say he will.  Unless you want to say 3 strikes and he's out?  He already has two...

Bynum seems to put up his best numbers just before he gets hurt.  A STABLE Artest is an upgrade over Ariza and would offset some of Odom's production.  Without Odom I would still have the Lakers as SLIGHT favorites out West but I don't think they would be the favorites going into the Finals.

Artest is not the rebounder OR passer than Odom is.  So what production would he make up for?  Points?  That is not why Odom is important.  Can Artest rebound, push, and finish or make the right pass?  I haven't seen it on a consistant basis.  Artest is also smaller and would not provide the same mismatch Odom would at the 4.  Artest is more scorer than passer.  Odom is more passer than scorer.  On a team with Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol I think it's important to have a few more Luke Walton and Odom types in the mix.  Balances the team out.  With out Odom they lose some of that balance.

Btw...I literally just read on SI.com that another GM was in full agreement with me.  They said if the Lakers did not sign Odom they would be vulnerable but if they get him they are the clear favorites.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:31:47 PM by westkoast »

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 01:27:14 PM »
Seems like there's a lot of talk about a STABLE Artest here.  Hey why don't we just start talking about a healthy T-Mac or a pass first Marbury while were at it? 

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to meet my friend the tall dwarf for some jumbo shrimp.

P.S.  The Sports Guy revealed a great Artest story from last year.  Prior to game 7 with the Lakers he missed the team bus then just barely made it on a second bus carrying the Rockets owner and some of his guests.  Ron Ron apparently got on and rode to Staples whearing only his underwear.  Apparently that was not the first time Artest was found wandering around pantless. 

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 02:59:13 PM »
I love JN's post. Just wanted to say that.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 07:27:59 PM »
I love JN's post. Just wanted to say that.
Me too.  Can we get a visual of that.  On second thought, pass.

W.O.W. 15 minutes has gone by.  You can start another Odom thread now.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 08:04:45 PM »
Btw...I literally just read on SI.com that another GM was in full agreement with me.  They said if the Lakers did not sign Odom they would be vulnerable but if they get him they are the clear favorites.

This is why I think you're a crappy debater, there is a HUGE difference between being "vulnerable" and "having no shot".  I won't even bother to pick you apart in other ways, just want to point out a flaw in your technique.  My 16 year old would rip you to shreds in a debate, then she would point and laugh.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 08:06:25 PM »
Seems like there's a lot of talk about a STABLE Artest here.  Hey why don't we just start talking about a healthy T-Mac or a pass first Marbury while were at it? 

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to meet my friend the tall dwarf for some jumbo shrimp.

P.S.  The Sports Guy revealed a great Artest story from last year.  Prior to game 7 with the Lakers he missed the team bus then just barely made it on a second bus carrying the Rockets owner and some of his guests.  Ron Ron apparently got on and rode to Staples whearing only his underwear.  Apparently that was not the first time Artest was found wandering around pantless. 

:D 

I don't know why "Spurs Dynasty" just came to mind......
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 08:21:54 PM »

This is why I think you're a crappy debater, there is a HUGE difference between being "vulnerable" and "having no shot".  I won't even bother to pick you apart in other ways, just want to point out a flaw in your technique.  My 16 year old would rip you to shreds in a debate, then she would point and laugh.

If it's so easy there WOW, they why not do it?  You spent just as much time puffing your feathers as you would have 'picking it apart'  I mean there was more than one part of my argument than just a Western Conference GM said they were vulnerable.  You just tried to take the easy way out by ignoring all but that last part.

Sorry but Ron Artest would not made up for the loss of Odom and Ariza.  If you could prove that he would, you would have done it.  Instead you choose to play armchair quarterback....again.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 09:47:37 PM »

If it's so easy there WOW, they why not do it?  You spent just as much time puffing your feathers as you would have 'picking it apart'  I mean there was more than one part of my argument than just a Western Conference GM said they were vulnerable.  You just tried to take the easy way out by ignoring all but that last part.

Sorry but Ron Artest would not made up for the loss of Odom and Ariza.  If you could prove that he would, you would have done it.  Instead you choose to play armchair quarterback....again.

The reason I didn't comment on your other remarks is because I don't necessarily disagree with them.  You make a good point which I myself would defend, and at times have been on your side of that argument. 

The point I commented on was the part I disagree with, because it was dumb.  :P  The dumb part I could pick apart, not your whole post.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"