Author Topic: Obama gives FDA (purportedly) more power over the tabacco demons  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
"Before dozens of invited guests, including children from the Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids, the president signed legislation giving the Food and Drug Administration unprecedented authority to regulate tobacco."
Hmmn i dunno.  Isn't the FDA run by the drug and tobacco companies?

"Opponents from tobacco-growing states such as top-producing North Carolina argued............They also said that instead of unrealistically trying to get smokers to quit or to prevent others from starting, lawmakers should ensure that people have other options, like smokeless tobacco."
 :D  :D  :D gotta love their gall.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090622/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_tobacco

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Obama gives FDA (purportedly) more power over the tabacco demons
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 02:37:42 PM »
Do we have boardies who smoke?

Live with smoker(s)?

We all do in a sense.   I can't wait for non smoking to be taken to the next level, meaning ban the smokers and their second hand smoke from being anywhere near non smokers.  As it stands most states still allow the poisoners to stand around right outside non smoking buildings.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 02:45:34 PM »
I used to smoke.  then became one of those smoke when i drink people.   have not gone out for a beer in quite a few months, no cigs in that time...still get the urge to smoke when i catch the second hand smell.  been getting easier to fight off though as i go without the cigs...guess you could say my cold turkey ws easy without the bar scene.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 03:00:18 PM »
I use to smoke heavy in high school and part of college.  I don't really smoke anymore except when I go to the bar, similar to spursx3.  Since I haven't really been going to the bar very much I haven't really been smoking.  What is weird is I can't stand the smell of it on my hands but I like the feeling of smoke in my lungs when I am drinking.

From what I read the FDA will have more control but what they are proposing to do is not a 'HUGE' deal.  They are making them cut the 'low, mild' labels for the cigarettes, can control advertising, and want to pull candy cigarettes of the shelves.  I personally haven't seen candy cigarettes in a really long time.....
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 04:15:39 PM »
Have any of you guys seen "smoke-less" cigarettes?  In Cali you are not allowed to smoke withing 25? feet of an entrance to a building so people are having to go further out to smoke.  The smoke-less cigs s(slg) allow you to smoke indoors.  The slg emits water vapor and has little nicoteen cartridges that give you the same kick and the puffing and emitting of water vapor serves the mental addiction.  I've seen a few but have not tried one.

Supposedly there are two addictions, physical (nicoteen) and the mental (puffing), the slg's address both since most smoking alternatives only treat the physical addiction.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"