Author Topic: MVPs and Championships  (Read 1690 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
MVPs and Championships
« on: June 08, 2009, 12:31:11 PM »
Had a random thought today about MVPs and teams winning the title.  In the past 20 years the team who had the Most Valuable Player has only won the championship 7 times.  It's only happened twice in the last 10 years thanks to Duncan/Spurs and Shaq/Lakers.

1989-90   Magic Johnson* (3)   Guard    United States   Los Angeles Lakers ( Did not win title)
1990?91   Michael Jordan* (2)   Guard    United States   Chicago Bulls
1991?92   Michael Jordan* (3)   Guard    United States   Chicago Bulls
1992?93   Charles Barkley*   Forward    United States   Phoenix Suns ( Did not win title)
1993?94   Hakeem Olajuwon*   Center    United States[c]   Houston Rockets
1994?95   David Robinson*   Center    United States   San Antonio Spurs ( Did not win title)
1995?96   Michael Jordan* (4)   Guard    United States   Chicago Bulls
1996?97   Karl Malone   Forward    United States   Utah Jazz ( Did not win title)
1997?98   Michael Jordan* (5)   Guard    United States   Chicago Bulls
1998?99   Karl Malone (2)   Forward    United States   Utah Jazz ( Did not win title)
1999?00   Shaquille O'Neal^   Center    United States   Los Angeles Lakers
2000?01   Allen Iverson^   Guard    United States   Philadelphia 76ers ( Did not win title)
2001?02   Tim Duncan^   Forward/Center    United States Virgin Islands[d]   San Antonio Spurs ( Did not win title)
2002?03   Tim Duncan^ (2)   Forward/Center    United States Virgin Islands[d]   San Antonio Spurs
2003?04   Kevin Garnett^   Forward    United States   Minnesota Timberwolves ( Did not win title)
2004?05   Steve Nash^   Guard    Canada   Phoenix Suns ( Did not win title)
2005?06   Steve Nash^ (2)   Guard    Canada   Phoenix Suns ( Did not win title)
2006?07   Dirk Nowitzki^   Forward    Germany   Dallas Mavericks ( Did not win title)
2007?08   Kobe Bryant^   Guard    United States   Los Angeles Lakers ( Did not win title)
2008?09   LeBron James^   Forward    United States   Cleveland Cavaliers ( Did not win title)
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: MVPs and Championships
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 03:11:04 PM »
You should have made this post a trivia question.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 05:01:54 PM »
The Media Valuable Player award does go to the true Most Valuable Player at about a 7 years in 20 ratio so, not surprising.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 07:37:26 PM »
Good thread, westkoast.  I was thinking the same thing the other day ... logically since Lebron got eliminated. 

I'm sure 100% of the players polled in the NBA would rather win a Finals MVP than a regular season MVP. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 09:23:03 PM »
If you remove Michael Jordan from the equation it has only happened 3 times in the last 20 years.  All by BIG men none by a guard.  Not that we need to say how GOOD Jordan was by being the only perimeter player to dominate a big mans game.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 05:54:37 PM »
If you remove Michael Jordan from the equation it has only happened 3 times in the last 20 years.  All by BIG men none by a guard.  Not that we need to say how GOOD Jordan was by being the only perimeter player to dominate a big mans game.

We also need to note that in his second stint of championships, he played very much a "big man's" game.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."