Author Topic: Garnett says Celtics will win titles in 2010 and 2011  (Read 1980 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Garnett says Celtics will win titles in 2010 and 2011
« on: June 04, 2009, 02:02:36 PM »
The Boston Celtics owner went on record saying that he spoke to KG and that KG guaranteed that they would win a title in 2010 and repeat again in 2011.

With the talent in the East getting better this past year and PP, Ray Allen, and KG all got a year older...do you think they could win the title next year?  Can they get past the Magic and Cavs with their current team? 
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: Garnett says Celtics will win titles in 2010 and 2011
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 02:12:49 PM »
It depends on Garnett.  He's the key element to that team - not Pierce or Allen.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 02:34:01 PM »
This is rich and the media will run with it.

Kevin Garnett born 5/19/76 has played 1,128 NBA games.

Tim Duncan born 4/25/76 has played 1,059 NBA games.

Duncan is too old to carry a team.  KG just guaranteed back to back titles.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 03:12:11 PM »
It depends on Garnett.  He's the key element to that team - not Pierce or Allen.

Garnett could have a monster season but if those guys don't perform well they don't get past the other eastern contenders....

LOL Lurker, that's kind of funny.  You are also dead on about your comment.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 03:26:32 PM »
is this one of those "shock the world" promises again???   :P :P :P
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 04:37:56 PM »
I guess it's possible if Kobe, Lebron, Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony and Tim Duncan all retire this off season. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 05:52:30 PM »
Who cares what he says. Chances are he's not right.  Cleveland will have a problem Z can't do anything well enough, Varajo is a free agent. LeBron is a free agent. So I think they'll be out.

Orlando is a different story. Howard should only continue to get better, and the rest of the team is young enough to contend for several more seasons. Yes, Garnett was out but so was Jameer Nelson. Garnett is a great player, but if he can't stop Howard, Orlando is the better team.

If Miami can pair a real talent with Wade, they'll be right back in it. Phila. should be better next season. Chicago and Atlanta can be considered as well over the next 2 seasons. All of those teams are younger than the Celtics. 

Pierce and Allen did not distinguish themselves against Orlando. Allen disappeared in games. Pierce was ineffective on the defensive end. Garnett would have made a difference, but not enough to offset what Jameer Nelson does.when the teams meet again.

What else would you expect him to say, that they're done?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 06:17:41 PM »
Who cares what he says. Chances are he's not right.  Cleveland will have a problem Z can't do anything well enough, Varajo is a free agent. LeBron is a free agent. So I think they'll be out.

Orlando is a different story. Howard should only continue to get better, and the rest of the team is young enough to contend for several more seasons. Yes, Garnett was out but so was Jameer Nelson. Garnett is a great player, but if he can't stop Howard, Orlando is the better team.

If Miami can pair a real talent with Wade, they'll be right back in it. Phila. should be better next season. Chicago and Atlanta can be considered as well over the next 2 seasons. All of those teams are younger than the Celtics. 

Pierce and Allen did not distinguish themselves against Orlando. Allen disappeared in games. Pierce was ineffective on the defensive end. Garnett would have made a difference, but not enough to offset what Jameer Nelson does.when the teams meet again.

First of all, I made the thread to get us to talk about basketball.

Second, Kevin Garnett was not asked about this.  He was in a meeting with the owner about his health/injury/recovery.  In the meeting he told the owner that.  The owner said he had never seen him that hungry and serious before since he got to Boston.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 11:44:47 AM »

No, not at all.  But players rarely guarantee one championship, let alone two in a row! 

I for one hope they get to the Finals and the Lakers are fortunate enough to get there again next year.  The league is a better place when it's Boston/LA in the Finals ;)