Author Topic: OT - Any video/camera geeks?  (Read 1091 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
OT - Any video/camera geeks?
« on: March 24, 2009, 11:33:34 PM »
Looking to buy a camcorder.  I've read that MinDV is the best right now, most bang for the buck and excellent quality.

DVD camcorders have exploded in popularity because much like VHS camcorder back in the day, you can just pop the tape into your home video system and watch the movie, no fiddling with cables and having to use the camera as your DVD player.

I think I'm going for the DVD style because of the ease of use in getting your movies/pic on to the TV.  Probably not the best tech but will probably be good for my kids.

Any recommendations or warnings?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT - Any video/camera geeks?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 10:31:39 PM »
I have a mini-dvd recorder.  Like it, and it is far better than tape.  It always resets itself to the last place it was recorded to, so you no longer have gaps in your recordings.  Never record over what has already been recorded.  I am sure you could do that if you wanted, like if you were making a specific tape, and wanted to do some editing.  I am not that up on it, the wife uses it more than I do.  For me I just want to record events, and I am not all that concerned with it being properly edited.

The biggest issue for me is that it doesn't have as much memory per DVD as you had with tapes, so you always need to have an extra or two with you, because you will always seem to run out of available space.  Also you have to reformat (or something like reformat) to play in your DVD, so you cannot play on your TV until you are done recording on that DVD.  I got mine 2-3 years ago, so the latest and greatest may have better features.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:48:11 AM »
I'm recording straight to hard drive.  I've got the Sony model - can't remember the number - and it works rather well.

My older camera is a MiniDV camera - also a Sony model - but that's a TAPE based camera.  And, to be quite honest, unless I'm using HD on the newer model, I think the older one is a better camera and gives me a better video.  However, it is much more time-consuming in transferring the .AVI to computer (via firewire) than it is to transfer the .MPG of the newer camera.  But, again, there's a quality difference between the two.

Truth of the matter is that the less work of the new camera makes it the better choice.  I can't see myself using anything but direct-to-hard drive cameras in the future after my experience with this one.  I do miss the bigger screen of the older camera, though.

If you're interested, WayOut, I'll get you the model numbers of both of my camcorders.  And Skander has taped for me using both;  he might have a perspective on that.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 10:43:35 AM »
I'm recording straight to hard drive.  I've got the Sony model - can't remember the number - and it works rather well.

My older camera is a MiniDV camera - also a Sony model - but that's a TAPE based camera.  And, to be quite honest, unless I'm using HD on the newer model, I think the older one is a better camera and gives me a better video.  However, it is much more time-consuming in transferring the .AVI to computer (via firewire) than it is to transfer the .MPG of the newer camera.  But, again, there's a quality difference between the two.

Truth of the matter is that the less work of the new camera makes it the better choice.  I can't see myself using anything but direct-to-hard drive cameras in the future after my experience with this one.  I do miss the bigger screen of the older camera, though.

If you're interested, WayOut, I'll get you the model numbers of both of my camcorders.  And Skander has taped for me using both;  he might have a perspective on that.

I've been doing some research and it seems that flash based camera's are the best.  As computer geeks we know all too well the problem with "moving parts" technology like HD's.  I'm thinking I can purchase a 16-32 GB flash based camera and a mini-laptop with a 160 GB hard drive to transfer the files to when the flash drive gets full.  The flash drive camera's are expandable as well, as are the HD one's.  Once it's on the min-laptop then you can trasfer it to DVD's or an external HD.  I've notice there are a few camera's out there, JVC, that all you have to do to get it to MPG format is to simply change the file extension.  Going HD (Hi-Def 1080) is really expensive but some camera's have a "Hi Quality" mode that is pretty close to HD.

While it's clearly the best "bang for the buck", I'm definately not going to go with any "tape" camera's.  The price difference between flash based and HD based camera's is about 200 bucks so I may go with a smaller capacity HD camera (20 - 60 GB), I just hate the thought of a spinning HD being the heart of the camera.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"