Author Topic: Igggggggggggggy!  (Read 6127 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Igggggggggggggy!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 04:36:44 PM »
I actually agree with 'laker media types'.  The Sixers won because they played well in the 4th AND because LA relaxed. 

And a well-coached team doesn't let Iguodala take that shot

Yes they do.  He's shooting 29% from 3 on the year.  His eFG% (not fg%) on jumpers in "close and late" situations is a dreadful 32.9%.  He was 0-6 from downtown heading into that shot.

They played the percentages.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 04:48:07 PM »
Amazing excuses for the Lakers from media types like Gary Peyton.  Something to the effect of "they got a big lead and started sleepwalking"

It's pure nonsense. Everyone knows that games go through runs where each team takes over for a while, and then the other team comes back.  The Lakers opened up big leads twice last night, but the Sixers came right back both times.

In crunch time, good teams impose their will and break the other team.  The Sixers refused to crack last night and didn't back down.  Neither did the Lakers, but they could not control the game or stop the Sixers.

A good team wouldn't have let the Sixers back into the game, or rather a better team than the Lakers.  Frankly, the Lakers don't look like world beaters to me, their 2nd group is worse than the Sixers, and that's a serious deficiency. The Lakers couldn't stop the Sixers, or even slow them down and the Sixers don't have the most potent attack.  Phil should know better, bottom line is his team got beat by a group that wanted it more.

And a well-coached team doesn't let Iguodala take that shot,  but Andre is so quick that if Ariza tried to foul, Andre would have thrown up a shot to get three free throws.  The real problem was that Kobe took his shot too soon, and gave the Sixers a chance.  Sink that shot with 2 second left, and Iguodala can't get his off.

Can't say I agree.

Because of this one, singular loss...the Lakers aren't a "good team"?  C'mon.  They're a VERY good team.  They kicked the crap out of OUR team a little while back. 

Fact is - on any given night - a not-as-good team can beat a better team.  And that's what happened last night.  Don't get me wrong...we deserved it...but alot had to go right for us.

And if I'm the Lakers I almost diagram a play in which Iggy GETS the ball at the end.  He sucks in those situations and he couldn't hit the long one last night.  (Frankly...he didn't even hit IRON on a few of them.)

And I don't have an issue with Kobe's shot.  He left enough time for an offensive board AND they had a foul to give.  Thankfully their coach blew that one.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 05:01:10 PM »
I actually agree with 'laker media types'.  The Sixers won because they played well in the 4th AND because LA relaxed. 

And a well-coached team doesn't let Iguodala take that shot

Yes they do.  He's shooting 29% from 3 on the year.  His eFG% (not fg%) on jumpers in "close and late" situations is a dreadful 32.9%.  He was 0-6 from downtown heading into that shot.

They played the percentages.

Percentages or not, that's the only shot that can really hurt you in that situation. If I'm Phil Jackson, I'm tempted to foul him and take my chances he'll choke from the charity stripe.  Worse case, I'm in OT.

But Peyton is flat out wrong.  Good teams close out games like that.  They don't relax.  Bad teams do that! It's why the Sixers aren't a good team, they don't have that killer instinct.  

With the Sixers it's excusable, they're still building their identity and aren't considered an elite team.  The Lakers are supposed to be elite, which means beating a team like the Sixers mercilessly. They didn't look better than the Sixers last night, the only time they got leads was when Phila. was settling for outside shots. After the Sixers went off for a 20-4 run in the first half, a smart team closes them out in the third and keeps scoring. The Sixers forced turnovers and started making shots and the Lakers couldn't match their intensity. Finally a good team makes sure the game isn't close enough at the end for the other team to make a game winning shot.  It's a very lame excuse for a team primed to win the Championship.

The Sixers deserve a lot of props for holding Kobe to 11. They let everyone else beat them, but double and triple-teamed him as soon as he touched the ball. With that they only won by 1 pt. I thought the Sixers could have played a lot better, but Iguodala was pure money in the 4th.  13 pts.  He also played Kobe as well as anyone could; Kobe managed 2 pts. and a lot of misses and turnovers.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 05:05:06 PM »
But Peyton is flat out wrong.  Good teams close out games like that.  They don't relax.  Bad teams do that! It's why the Sixers aren't a good team, they don't have that killer instinct. 

I'm glad you live in a black and white world.  Were I'm from, good teams lose some games they shouldn't, and bad teams win some games they shouldn't.  If you define it otherwise, you would have no good teams and no bad teams.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
If I'm Phil Jackson, I'm tempted to foul him and take my chances he'll choke from the charity stripe.  

What.

You would have considered intentionally FOULING Iggy with a 2 point lead?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 05:32:22 PM »
They had a foul to give.  Most likely outcome is Sixers ball out on the side with no time for Iggy to juke before he shoots.  I don't understand why they're dumping on Ariza.  If Jackson said they had a foul to give, was that a suggestion, or did he want them to foul?  Seems ambiguous to me.  Why didn't he say, let 3 seconds run off the clock and then foul before he takes a shot?

Then the Sixers have 2-3 sec. on an out of bounds play, much harder to make that shot. More likely they would take a 2 and go for the tie.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 05:48:03 PM »
Absolutely Azirah should have given the foul to give.

However.....interesting play took place years ago.  Coincidentally it was Bad Boy Pistons vs the Lakers.  Isiah was intentionally fouled way beyond the arc.  So he just lightheartedly threw it up towards the rim as he was fouled.  It went in.   So, when an offensive player is about to get fouled intentionally, if he flips it up towards the hoop, anywheres towards the hoop should it not be ruled an attempted shot?  I've got to say yes and do not see how anyone could say no.  The reasoning of "well, that shot would have never gone in" -see the Isiah shot.

That being the case, Farmar was interviewed post game and said he believed that is why Azirah did not foul Igs.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 05:54:46 PM »
They had a foul to give.  Most likely outcome is Sixers ball out on the side with no time for Iggy to juke before he shoots.  I don't understand why they're dumping on Ariza.  If Jackson said they had a foul to give, was that a suggestion, or did he want them to foul?  Seems ambiguous to me.  Why didn't he say, let 3 seconds run off the clock and then foul before he takes a shot?

Then the Sixers have 2-3 sec. on an out of bounds play, much harder to make that shot. More likely they would take a 2 and go for the tie.

Ah.  So you're repeating what I'd already said: Phil blew it by not fouling with one to give.  That was a blatant screw up and Coaching 101.

But that's not what you had referred to when you said:

Quote from: rickortreat on Today at 06:01:10 PM
If I'm Phil Jackson, I'm tempted to foul him and take my chances he'll choke from the charity stripe.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 06:05:38 PM »

Ah.  So you're repeating what I'd already said: Phil blew it by not fouling with one to give.  That was a blatant screw up and Coaching 101.

But that's not what you had referred to when you said:

Quote from: rickortreat on Today at 06:01:10 PM

OH that!  It's a strategy, based on my observation of Iguodala shooting free throws. Odd are good that he'd miss one of three anyway.  And that is a worst case scenario, where Iguodala throws up a prayer when he gets fouled so he gets the free throws.

So bottom line I foul and expect that he doesn't get to shoot free throws. Even if he does, and even if he makes all three I still have 2 sec. left.