Author Topic: new 76ers coach  (Read 1547 times)

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
new 76ers coach
« on: April 22, 2004, 08:20:11 AM »
Just curious how you all feel about the coaching choice made by the 76ers, bringing on Jim O'Brien. (See article below for more details.) I must admit I was a bit surprised...I was so sure they were going to go after Mo Cheeks after they practically serenaded him the last time he was in town. One thing was sure, Chris Ford was not up for the job. I'm glad to see that O'Brien is willing to keep an open mind with Iverson. It was clear from the get-go that Ford neither liked nor respected Iverson...a bad way to start out with a team's franchise player. And any rumors of Iverson being traded have been put to rest. With the team and new coach's vote of confidence behind him, I hope Iverson does everything he possibly can to expedited his rehabilitation over the summer. I know he would hate to miss the Olympic games, but I really wonder if he should go.

Under the banners of the 76ers past championship teams, 76ers President and General Manger Billy King formally introduced Jim O'Brien as the new head coach at a press conference held Wednesday afternoon at the Wachovia Center.

O'Brien, a Philadelphia native, is excited about this new opportunity and his new team. "I am thrilled to be back in Philadelphia and it's a great honor to join a franchise that I've been following since I was a little boy." O'Brien said.

The former Celtics coach knows all about the pressures of coaching in this city and is looking forward to the challenge.
"I've been a fan of Philadelphia for many, many years," said O'Brien. "Obviously I wasn't a fan the last seven years, but I know what the tradition is here, I know what the expectations of the people in Philadelphia are. I know it's a tough town from a fan standpoint because I've been a fan rooting for every franchise here, and we all expect winners."

One of the many reason King feels O'Brien is right for the job is his defensive oriented style of play and the hope that O'Brien can get the Sixers back to playing successful defense.

"There are a lot of intangibles that I can talk about or can't talk about because it's just from observing him over the years when we played his teams," King said. "I admired how hard they played, how prepared they were, and I just think that he did a great job there and I felt it was the perfect fit for us."

"I think that's the way you build chemistry (by playing defense)," O'Brien said. "Because in order to play defense you have to go through pain, you have to have guys with guts and you have to have guys that will cover each other's backs. I'm not a guy that predicts things but we will play defense and we will play it at a level that is going to take a lot of hard work, and it will build a chemistry that is a strong one."

O'Brien is familiar with the Sixers having coached against them for years, including in the playoffs, and likes the look of his "new" players.

"I always liked the look in Eric Snow, Aaron McKie and Allen Iverson's eyes when we competed against them," he said. "I love competition. You know the guys in the league you want on your side and you know you the guys in the league you don't want on your side. There are three guys that I just had a feeling, they would fun to compete and be on there side."

O'Brien also said that he wanted to have an opportunity to coach Allen Iverson and is glad he has a player of that caliber on his team next season. King also put to rest persistent rumors of Iverson's departure stating, "Allen will be here next year."

The expectations O'Brien has for next season are hard work, organization and strong leadership from the veteran players.

"What I believe is every person I coach has tremendous responsibility to lead within the organization itself. I don't believe in the great man theory of leadership," said O'Brien. "I believe that the people that put on our uniform all have responsibility to share and the leadership."

"I have never had a difficulty leading people, and having people understand the expectations that I have," O'Brien said. "I'm a fairly easy person to play for. I think guys are comfortable because there a plan, there's organization and there's discipline. Players will be able to execute and it's organization that they'll appreciate."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
new 76ers coach
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 08:30:04 AM »
Mo was their 1st choice but couldn't/wouldn't leave Portland?

I think O'Brien is a solid choice.

As to AI did he have any response to TDunkers willingness to not start yet come off the bench?

jn

new 76ers coach
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 08:52:06 AM »
Looks like a good choice to me.  After working with Walker in Boston O'Brien certainly knows what it's liket work with troublesom players.  

Offhand the only downside I see is that Philly's personell is vastly different than that of the teams O'Brien had success with.  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
new 76ers coach
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 09:13:37 AM »
As to AI did he have any response to TDunkers willingness to not start yet come off the bench?

Not to mention Kidd and Martin (who did it in the same game).