Author Topic: The 2009 FA PG Thread  (Read 2701 times)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
The 2009 FA PG Thread
« on: February 19, 2009, 12:17:42 AM »
Starting Quality Only:

Restricted:
Ray Felton (available)
Ben Gordon (close enough to a PG, and they probably won't match)
Ramon Sessions (TBD)
Nate Robinson (yeah right)

Unrestricted:
Mike Bibby
Andre Miller (because he is, so he may as well be listed)
Jason Kidd
Allen Iverson

Who would you take over Miller?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 12:32:33 AM by DuckyNinja »

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: The 2009 FA PG Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 09:43:31 AM »
Restricted:
Ray Felton (available) - No, he is a lesser player than Miller who will want a long term deal to get him here.
Ben Gordon (close enough to a PG, and they probably won't match) - No, not that close to a PG at all.
Ramon Sessions (TBD) - It would be nice, best of the young guys here, but likely won't be available.
Nate Robinson (yeah right) - No

Unrestricted:
Mike Bibby- On a two year deal, sure
Andre Miller (because he is, so he may as well be listed) - On a two year deal, sure
Jason Kidd- On a one year deal
Allen Iverson - No, not a PG.

The trade market may have stop gap type PG's available after the draft where a lot of teams will grab PG's, hopefully us included.

Offline Howardmgm3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 11:54:08 AM »
We all want Sessions (me included) due to the fact that he is a good young playmaking defensive minded PG. But aren't we also pretty much in agreement that if it is to work with Iguodola at the SG and Young at the Sf, we need a PG with a 3 point shot?    Sessions does not have one.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 01:06:01 PM »
Skates: IYO, do we need a true PG if Iggy is the starting SG?  I really wish they would experiment with an Iguodala-Green-Thad-Speights-Dalembert lineup at some point, just to see if Iguodala can run the offense.  I think he can.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 01:45:16 PM »
The problem with Iggy running the show is that he already does a lot of that in addition to the rest of his floor game.  He is really best as a jack of all trades type, master of none.  He can help a less traditional PG run the show, with a truer PG as back-up IMO.  You don't want Iggy bringing the ball up the court routinely either.  I think the Iggy as PG enabler is the sourse of hope that Hinrich would be a good fit here, he is not a true PG, but can do enough PG stuff to be augmented by Iggy, plus he is a shooter (I know there are debates on how good of a shooter he is, but he is better than Miller).  A guy like Bibby might fit here as well for those same reasons.  In the draft Stephen Curry seems the most obvious fit, and I am not sure he is going any higher than 9-12 at this point, so I don't see him as an impossible get in the draft with some movement up, which is usually easier in a percieved weak draft.  Curry has not been a full time PG in most of his college career and this year he is facing a lot of gimmick defenses, but I get the feeling he might convert well to a shooting PG in the pros.

Whomever we get needs to be better defensively than Miller.  Billups just plain embarassed the guy last night in the third quarter.  Our defense at PG needs to improve drastically, especially against dribble penetration.  Move Lou somewhere in a trade, grab Curry in the draft, get a Kyle Lowery type to start early in the year and act as his back-up down the road, and get a full-sized shooting wing man to act as sixth man.  With Jason Smith and Brand coming back next year, plus Speights expanding his range, I expect we will see more outside shooting from our bigs than most teams.  Perhaps in that scenario, more of a defense minded, penetrating PG would be ideal, rather than holding out for a great shooter.  Ty Lawson and Collison from UCLA might be a fit there, maybe Conley.  Personally, I think Randy Foye would be ideal, but I don't see him being available.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 03:34:05 PM »
Well, Lowry heading to Houston eliminates the rest of the PG surplus in Memphis so we can probably count Conley and Lowry as being even more unavailable going into the summer.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 04:01:21 PM »
I'd be fine with Bibby and Miller, but both are probably going to seek longer deals than we'd be willing to sign them for. 

Sessions is easily the most coveted among those listed.... If he is indeed available, I'm sure we'd be in a long line of teams interested in his services. 

Felton is another I could live with, but only for the right price. 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 04:26:10 PM »
If this team is going to move up to contender status, they need improvement at the PG position.  Miller or Bibby would be fine for a couple of years, but any real upgrade will have to come via trade or the draft.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 05:46:34 PM »
If this team is going to move up to contender status, they need improvement at the PG position.  Miller or Bibby would be fine for a couple of years, but any real upgrade will have to come via trade or the draft.

And it just so happens that this year is the year of the PG in the draft.  I think the Sixers should seriously look at an older PG in the draft (Mills and Maynor come to mind) to step in and start from day 1.