Author Topic: Would Camby to the Spurs help?  (Read 1160 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Would Camby to the Spurs help?
« on: January 26, 2009, 12:33:13 PM »
Read this topic from an "inside source"  :D.  Anyway, here are my thoughts:

In all honesty, when healthy the Clippers don't NEED anything.  They have Davis at the PG, a young stud rookie Gordon at SG, another young stud at SF in Thorton and a PF/C combo of Camby/Kaman/Randolf.  On paper the Clippers look pretty good.  Even their bench looks pretty good with Kaman/Camby, R. Davis, Jordan and Jones.  If it wasn't for injuries and a stupid coach the Clippers would actually be fun to watch.

That being said, whenever things start to look good the owner usually decides to screw it up by pulling money off the table.  IMO the Randolf trade made the Camby move irrelivant.  After losing Brand the Clippers scrambled to safe face and landed Camby.  My season ticket rep tried soooooooooooooo hard to spin the Brand fiasco by saying Camby made up of the difference.  One of those three is going to be the odd man out, and it's highly doubtful that it will be Randolf since he's being seen as the Clippers "savior", that's going to help Baron bring the Clippers back to the playoffs.

That leaves Camby and Kaman.  Kaman is signed through to 2012 I believe at about 9 to 12 million per year AND his contract includes a trade "kicker" that gives him a bonus if he gets traded which would make it hard for the Spurs to pay, over 7 million.  Kaman is younger and I think the Clippers would prefer to keep him so IMO Camby is the guy the Clippers would like to move once they get healthy.  Plus now that Jordan is showing some game the Clippers probably don't even want Camby as a backup.  IMO Camby is very "gettable" but it would have to be for expiring contracts.  Sterling would love nothing better than to get cheap AGAIN.  He's got enough young guys with rookie contracts that can keep fans in the seats and since he has not true desire to win that the Clippers are 100% looking to dump salary and Camby's the most attractive.  In other words, the Clippers are in almost the exact same scenario as the Grizzlies were last year and look what they were willing to do to dump salary.  IMO is this is something that would help the Spurs they should give it a serious shot.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Would Camby to the Spurs help?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 12:37:49 PM »
Certainly he would be better than any of the other big man they've had to backup/help Duncan since D-Rob left.  Outside of Tim Duncan they do not have a shot blocker.  I don't know if it puts them over the top because Camby gets hurt so often.   Clippers would not give up Kaman.  He is more of an offensive threat than Camby and like you said, he is younger.

Fabs and Udoka for Camby!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com