Author Topic: Sixers v. Mavericks 1/19/2009  (Read 2241 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixers v. Mavericks 1/19/2009
« on: January 19, 2009, 01:00:07 PM »
Another revenge opportunity for the Sixers against Dallas.  Another possible return game for Brand.

A chance for the Sixers to go to 8 wins in a row, something they have not done for quite some time, and an accomplishment that indicates the team is much. much better than their .500 record indicates.

I don't think that Dallas creates an insurmountable challenge for the Sixers, it was more a matter of executing and making shots at the end of the game that cost them last time.  This time, the Sixers have discovered their identity and know what they are trying to accomplish on the floor.

The Sixers will be off after this game until Saturday, so I suspect Brand will not play.  I also expect the Sixers to protect their home court and add another win to their total.  Dallas is not a good defensive squad and the Sixers are primed to have a strong game.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Sixers v. Mavericks 1/19/2009
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 04:19:41 PM »
The Mavs came out and played tough perimeter defense, plus Kidd with 6-8 from three point land.  Heckuva comeback, credit to Nowitzki for hitting a tough shot at the end.  In games like this Brand will give them more firepower and the ability to take advantage of a team pressing guys like Iggy.  If they want to consistently win these kinds of games they must improve their FT shooting.  Those are easy points that are being thrown away.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 04:41:12 PM »
Apparently the only way to beat the Sixers is with an off-balance, fadeaway, turnaround high-arcing buzzerbeater.  A 7 game win streak bookended by them.  Crazy.  They should do nothing but shoot FTs over the entirety of this little break they have.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 05:13:23 PM »
The Sixers lost themselves in the third quarter and let things go on for too long. Dallas played tough D, but fouled on every play and the officials let them get away with it.  Sixers also shot themselves in the foot by playing too much selfish one on one ball.  A great fourth quarter comeback came just a little too late, and I thought that it was a mistake to have Reggie on Dirk at the end, when Thad's length and quickness clearly kept him off-balance earlier in the game.

The Sixers now have 4 days rest, which should give them a chance to work on their game, and reintegrate Brand into the lineup. I really would have liked for them to keep winning, but a loss now and again helps them to consider and address their weaknesses.

I give Dallas credit for doubling Iguodala the whole game. He is the key for the Sixers and keeping him in check, and crowding Andre Miller was very smart.  The Sixers should have allowed Lou Williams to take
over, as Dallas had no answer for him.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 05:32:20 PM »
They were slapping at Iggy a lot and getting away with it.  Conversely, Reggie was most effective in this game because the refs were calling it very loosely.  I thought they should have brought in Lou earlier in the first quarter when both teams had trouble scoring, that is a tailor made situation for a bench spark player like Lou.  By the time Lou got in there Dallas had inserted Terry who could match him scoring wise.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 10:07:22 PM »
Just caught the encore showing of the game.  Tough loss.  The momentum switched in the 3rd quarter at an absurdly fast pace and Kidd was in extremely rare offensive form.  I agree with those that said we could have used Brand in this one being as it was played at a slower tempo.  Evans had one of his better games and he was harassing Dirk towards the end their, so I guess I can understand why he got the nod to guard Dirk on that final possession... but Dirk shook him off pretty easily there and put up a shot that's difficult to defend.  Would have probably preferred to see Thad on him as he did a nice job of containing Dirk on single coverage earlier in the game, but again I suppose I can see DiLeo's decision to stick with Evans. 

It's amazing what a little bode of confidence can do for these guys.  Not too long ago they were pretty tentative from downtown, and now Iguodala and Lou are dribbling behind the 3 point line and letting them fly.  Gotta give some props to Ivey as well.  He had one of his better games tonight and has done about all you can really ask of him throughout this run. 

Now we have 4 days off to go the drawling board and prepare for Brand's return. 

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 10:47:04 PM »
Day games are often quirky and this one was no exception.  Players tend to be either stone cold or on fire.

Lou started was on fire, but he also started playing selfishly.  DiLeo benched him.  3 minutes later the Sixers had a nice 10-6 run to go up by 12, and then the wheels came off.  In the next 16 min (3:00 2nd -> 11:00 4th) the Sixers were outscored 43-19.  During that stretch Kidd hit wide open 3's like free throws and Dirk worked his way of his funk.

The comeback was fun but way to much like the Xards game.  I was really hoping to see the Sixers take a 3 at the end of regulation (Lou was on fire.)  They never should have given the ball back to Dallas- but props to Iguodala for a strong drive.  Also, you have to double Dirk.  I'd rather see someone else take an open shot than Dirk make his pet move on Reggie.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 07:44:09 PM »

Lou started was on fire, but he also started playing selfishly. 

agreed