Author Topic: DiLeo is harming this teams development  (Read 6682 times)

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
Re: DiLeo is harming this teams development
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 11:46:38 PM »
Calling Speights an underachiever is likewise harsh. 

I referred to two games only.  2 total rebounds in 36 minutes is certainly not OVER-achieving.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 11:50:26 PM »
During that one 6-game stretch, Marreese averaged 21.5 MPG

Are you intentionally trying to disregard the point others are saying?

Nobody's arguing average minutes.

Why would I intentionally disregard what others are saying.

The point is Marreese's minutes.  Is it not?

The point being argued is consistency in his minutes.  Bringing up average minutes played has no relevance.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 08:00:51 AM »

The point being argued is consistency in his minutes.  Bringing up average minutes played has no relevance.

1.  I spoke about those 6 games in the middle of that list, the point of doing so obviously being 'consistency'. 
2.  Over the long haul, average minutes per game is a pretty sure stat to demonstrate consistency.
3.  There is a relatively small sample size to show IN-consistency in minutes - for a rookie - backing up an all star PF.

I'm working with what I got.  But no one can honestly claim I'm "disregarding" the point:

While Speights does need consistent minutes....

I believe he'll GET consistent minutes, slowly but surely.  And I thought he'd start getting them again last night.  He played 18 minutes, going 10/6.

To me, Tony's (justified) punishment worked.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 09:38:15 AM »
1.  I spoke about those 6 games in the middle of that list, the point of doing so obviously being 'consistency'. 

You're still missing the point.  31 minutes one night followed by 0 two nights later is harming a players development.  That's the point, and why "average" minutes has no relevance in what we're talking about.  In fact, having a high average just proves our point.

Sure.

But has nothing to do with DiLeo's improper handling of speights minutes the last week.

He hasn't been backing up an all-star PF for the span we're talking about.

This appears to be your MO.  Flooding an argument with irrelevant stats to distract from the point at hand.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 09:58:11 AM »
btw, I do agree that Speights' focus defensively and on the glass was waning.  To me it didn't seem to be an effort problem though, so I don't think benching has any benefit.  I would like to see the kid get consistent minutes.  I'm of the mindset with tk76 that playing mediocre, flawed veterans over guys like Speights, Lou and Thad is the wrong approach at this time.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 10:57:59 AM »
Its going to be a moot discussion soon.  Once they let go of the belief that they are just a run away from turning the season around they will make some trades and fully commit to developing retooling.

The only reason their 13-20 record has them near the 8th seed is that the bottom of the East is horrible. They would be 14 games out of 8th seed in the West!  If anything, being in the East is keeping Ed and DiLeo from facing reality. 

Right now they will continue to try anything to get some wins- including trying to eke out victories with Miller, Theo, Evans, Ivey and Green.  They know their team is playing lousy, but as long as they are only 2 games from 8th seed they will try and make the playoffs any way they can.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 11:31:33 AM »

You're still missing the point.  31 minutes one night followed by 0 two nights later is harming a players development.  That's the point, and why "average" minutes has no relevance in what we're talking about.  In fact, having a high average just proves our point.

Sure.

But has nothing to do with DiLeo's improper handling of speights minutes the last week.

He hasn't been backing up an all-star PF for the span we're talking about.

This appears to be your MO.  Flooding an argument with irrelevant stats to distract from the point at hand.

I'm not suite sure why you feel the need to attack me, and not my point.  But I'll remain focused like everyone else here.

Marreese was being punished.  It's really very simple.  THAT'S why he played zero minutes.  That has nothing to do with "consistency".  He didn't deserve to play...and so he did not.  It was isolated.

Wait to argue your point during a stretch when he is NOT being punished to see if his minutes are inconsistent.  I think last night marked his exit from the doghouse.  Back to his 18 minutes.

If he plays crappy again...back to the bench.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 12:00:04 PM »
Wait to argue your point during a stretch when he is NOT being punished to see if his minutes are inconsistent.  I think last night marked his exit from the doghouse.  Back to his 18 minutes

This two game stretch of being in the doghouse is exactly what we're arguing.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 12:45:54 PM »

This two game stretch of being in the doghouse is exactly what we're arguing.

Yep.  I say he deserved it.

-He rebounded terribly in 2 straight games.  (2 total boards in 36 minutes)
-Tony played him for another 7 minutes in the third game, and Marreese pulled down one more.  (so 3 boards in 43 minutes)  Which Tony found to be unacceptable.
-In fact, to put it in perspective...Evans had about 17 rebounds during Speights same 2 disastrous games; 23 in 3 games (if you count game one of Speights' sitting) to Marreese's 3.  23-3.
-And so Tony sat him for that fourth game, completely.
-Marreese returned last night and had nice stats; a pretty good game.
-That tells me Tony was right.

If you care to argue that the benching was not warranted...or did not work...I respect that.  But I'd prefer some logic or stats or some form of points being made, rather than just saying I'm "disregarding" others' arguments.

I just don't happen to agree is all.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 10:05:24 AM »
Oh so it wasn't matchups.... it was a punishment for failing to rebound.  Yes, so you bench the rookie who outperforms everyone and replace him with Reggie Evans who has the lowest PER on the team and one of the lowest scoring averages in the league.

That's like cutting off your nose to spite your face!

Rebounding and defense are a matter of effort and understanding.  Speights may lack the understanding, and that will lead to mistakes.  That's the price you pay when you play a rookie.  But his offensive abilities make up for those deficiencies, and on a team that has problems scoring consistently you need to find another player to put up points.

Consider that the Sixers on average loose their games by only a few points, under 3 buckets.  The margin of their loosing is so small that a minor change might turn those L's into W's. In other words, the difference that Speights brings might not be so large on it's own, but still be enough to translate into wins.

Considering that I'm advocating replacing Dalembert or Evans with Speights and knowing how those stiffs play, It's hard to imagine how you could prefer seeing Reggie or Sam play instead!  You do realize that's what your arguing don't you?

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 03:53:37 PM »
bench the rookie who outperforms everyone and replace him with Reggie Evans who has the lowest PER on the team

23-3

In other words, the difference that Speights brings might not be so large on it's own, but still be enough to translate into wins.

Orrr...could it be that it is his defense that is helping to create that 3-bucket discrepency?

It's hard to imagine how you could prefer seeing Reggie or Sam play instead!  You do realize that's what your arguing don't you?

I'm arguing that Marreese sees (almost) enough minutes for a rookie big.  And he'll continue to see more if he performes well.  So far he's been a nice draft pick.

Our lack of depth is for a different day.  But at the moment I will say: Sam does certain things better; Evans for sure rebounds better; and Ratliff is a better NBA player at the moment. 

Patience...